border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-16, 02:15 PM   #1
dross9615

Snake with an aggressive feeding response

Hey guys I was just wondering what types of non-venomous snakes I would look into for an aggressive feeding response. Not like a sit and wait to to strike but a fast and attacking snake.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-24-16, 02:34 PM   #2
Sylphie

Re: Snake with an aggressive feeding response

Well I'm a colubrid girl so all I can think of will be them. Russian Rat Snakes (Elaphe schrenckii), Korean Rat Snakes (Elaphe anomala), all the beauty snakes. Most of rat snakes from US too, like texas, black or yellow rat snakes. These one are aggressive feeders, but otherwise pretty calm. I think that bull snakes eats like a champ too, but I'm not totally sure about this one.
Radiated Rat Snake (C. radiata), Red tailed green rat snake (Gonyosoma oxycephala), these are aggressive by nature too, so you should research them more.
Old 01-24-16, 03:52 PM   #3
Sasha2

Lol, carpet python, at least mine sure loves his food..I agree with sylphie about the radiated ratsnake also add the false water cobra,.. Also the tiger rat snake

Not sure but what about an amazon tree boa? They always look like they would have a big strike range and do have bitey reputation
You might look around on you tube for various species feeding videos.
Old 01-24-16, 05:43 PM   #4
SerpentineDream

Indigo snakes. OMG. Anything from the Drymarchon genus, really. Black-tailed cribos. Also Woma pythons. Black milk snakes. Coachwhips are crazy fast, but are aggressive in general, not just at mealtime.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 01-24-16, 08:39 PM   #5
MDT

Retics. Insane feeding response that stays ramped up for days after feeding. They will make you pay attention or they'll make you pay for a lapse in judgement.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-24-16, 08:44 PM   #6
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
Retics. Insane feeding response that stays ramped up for days after feeding. They will make you pay attention or they'll make you pay for a lapse in judgement.
^^100% This
Old 01-26-16, 04:56 AM   #7
IW17

Retics, false water cobra, carpets, anything drymarchon, pits, womas, anything liasis, some burms and scrubs.
Old 01-26-16, 06:43 AM   #8
dave himself

I'll go with retics as well you can't even walk past the viv that you're greeted with this face

and unless you switch off the feeding mode everything that comes through the viv door is fair game and will receive lots of attention
Old 01-26-16, 08:02 AM   #9
dross9615

I love retics and plan on getting one when I get a house but I'm looking more into something that won't only wait to strike but actually aggressively chase and attack its meal. I mean I only feed f/t but I just love how some snakes especially venomous ones look ferocious during feeding
Old 01-26-16, 10:34 AM   #10
SnoopySnake

My male columbian rainbow boa is a funny one, he's a very very gentle snake and he won't even bite me if my hand smells like a rat, but as soon is the rat is near he comes out looking for it, He'll track it down and slowly follow it around the enclosure until I bring it close enough for him to strike. My female CRB is the opposite, she'll bite my hand and she sits in her hide and waits for the rat to come by her.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-16, 06:59 AM   #11
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dross9615 View Post
I love retics and plan on getting one when I get a house but I'm looking more into something that won't only wait to strike but actually aggressively chase and attack its meal. I mean I only feed f/t but I just love how some snakes especially venomous ones look ferocious during feeding
That's exactly what retics do, they don't sit there n wait to be fed...

As soon as I open the enclosure with my young one, if there's no hook he's coming straight at you for the food lmao 😃
Old 01-27-16, 02:14 PM   #12
reptiledude987

I agree with the suggestions above but would also add barons racers to the list as well. Very fiesty at feeding time!
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 01-27-16, 03:14 PM   #13
prairiepanda

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what retics are like. My mexican lined pine snake (Pituophis lineaticollis) gets like that too, but I don't think that behaviour is common for that species. It's a feisty species for sure, but the tendency to chase prey is more of an individual thing. Retics, however, seem to be pretty consistent in their food aggression.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 01-28-16, 10:15 PM   #14
Handyhens

Most king snakes are docile, but are food crazy.
Old 01-29-16, 03:40 PM   #15
dross9615

well ive done some research of my own and it looks like garter snakes. seem to have what I'm looking for
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread