border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-15, 10:36 PM   #1
Salty Rob

winter

How does everybody get there pets ready for winter?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-06-15, 11:15 PM   #2
Bandit

Re: winter

Well, considering winters here in southern Louisiana are not all that harsh, I don't do anything out of the ordinary. The temps in the apartment overall do drop some as my roommates can be stingy with using the heater, but overall it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What part of the US do you live in?
Old 12-06-15, 11:25 PM   #3
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

So far no changes other than removing the heat from a female hognose whobhas insisted to brumate. The room it's self stays warm though. Ao far eveyone is doing fine. The cresteds are a bit more active in the cooler weather it seems as well.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 12-07-15, 03:12 AM   #4
Salty Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Well, considering winters here in southern Louisiana are not all that harsh, I don't do anything out of the ordinary. The temps in the apartment overall do drop some as my roommates can be stingy with using the heater, but overall it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What part of the US do you live in?
I'm in Oklahoma. And it gets down right dirty here. Cold nights. Warm days at the minute. But it will be down right cold in a few weeks.
Old 12-07-15, 03:13 AM   #5
Salty Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
So far no changes other than removing the heat from a female hognose whobhas insisted to brumate. The room it's self stays warm though. Ao far eveyone is doing fine. The cresteds are a bit more active in the cooler weather it seems as well.
Yea the room mine are in stays a constant 78*F. It's nice to know that they are warm.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-07-15, 03:22 AM   #6
treaux

I don't have central heating, so the oil-filled radiator heaters come out and get placed near cages/racks and have their thermostats set to 70.

My iHerp Page
Old 12-07-15, 03:32 AM   #7
Salty Rob

Whatever works right? Yea I remember when the power went out a few years ago. I also have a wood burning stove in my house just in case. It heats the whole house in a few minutes if I let it.
Old 12-07-15, 05:16 AM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

I'm heating the room with a space heater set to 82F, and I've moved my BRB into the living room where it's only heated to 74F in case he gets too hot. Next I'll be dropping my BCI's hot side from 88F to 85F, and withholding food until end of February/beginning of March. Everybody else will be kept constant, but I plan on doing the same thing with my female BCI when she gets older. Whether or not I fast my other snakes during winter is still hanging in the air. If I do, it will only be my BRB since I don't have the means to properly brumate my garters atm and I don't want to be faced with a hungry adult retic.
Old 12-07-15, 11:54 AM   #9
Salty Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
I'm heating the room with a space heater set to 82F, and I've moved my BRB into the living room where it's only heated to 74F in case he gets too hot. Next I'll be dropping my BCI's hot side from 88F to 85F, and withholding food until end of February/beginning of March. Everybody else will be kept constant, but I plan on doing the same thing with my female BCI when she gets older. Whether or not I fast my other snakes during winter is still hanging in the air. If I do, it will only be my BRB since I don't have the means to properly brumate my garters atm and I don't want to be faced with a hungry adult retic.
I hear that. And sounds like you have your hands full
Old 12-07-15, 12:49 PM   #10
prairiepanda

My snakes are all kept at room temp, which is around 5 degrees cooler in the winter than it is in the summer. Everyone continues with their normal routine despite this change, except for my milk snake who goes on a hunger strike every winter. Now that I've got everyone in a rack, I just move the milk snake down to the bottom shelf and cover it with a towel so she can have her cool darkness. My pines will all outgrow her very quickly because of this(one already has!)

I'm not sure how/if this will change when I go back to Alberta, since I'll have to install heat tape in my rack when I move. Honestly, I'd prefer if everyone kept a consistent routine all year; it just makes it much easier to monitor everyone's health, and I have no breeding plans anyway.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Login to remove ads
Old 12-08-15, 08:35 AM   #11
chairman

My reptile room is in the basement and has a small window. I block the window with R32 housing insulation in the winter. Also make sure that my room's heaters are dust free and functional.

My outdoor tortoise gets more attention. Have to double check the heating system, clean out cobwebs, adjust the pig blanket to get 10 degrees warmer, and monitor temperatures to make sure to close his front door if temps get much below 50.
Old 12-08-15, 02:48 PM   #12
Albert Clark

My garter adult breeders are in a temperature controlled room. They have been conditioned for the past 2 months and will be brought out of brumation at the end of December. Which is a total of 3 months at 54.0f - 58.0f. I will gradually up their temps to 75.0f - 84.0f over a weeks time then offer them just fish first. My ball pythons stay at their regular temps of 82.0f - 89.0f. I let the cooler room temps be as they may. I do have a space heater on standby just in case.
Old 12-08-15, 03:19 PM   #13
pitontheprowl

Oil filled heater IF needed in south Texas
Old 12-08-15, 03:46 PM   #14
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

I drop temps by a few degrees and begin pairing my adult animals. I breed my snakes so it's breeding season.

As for the younguns I just leave the same all year round.
Old 12-09-15, 06:59 PM   #15
IW17

Battery heated socks. Just cut the toe off and the snakes fit right in. This way I can take them sledding.

*Attention HSUS, this was a joke. Please refrain from the typical knee jerk behavior and promises of fire and brimstone.
Closed Thread