border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-15, 04:20 PM   #1
sophiedufort

Advice needed - blood python

It finally happened. Mike and I got a beautiful female blood python, said to be 1yo. She's about two feet long, and very thick. The previous owner said that she never bit, but somehow we tend to be suspicious about that. She's been hissing at times when Mike touches her, and once or twice she adopted the striking position. We left her alone in her new enclosure, and she's been sleeping ever since, that is since Saturday evening. Since none of us had a blood python before, we would like to know how to deal with her. Any advice on taming her? What about husbandry?
What type of substrate is better for her? Hide or no hide?
Any advice is appreciated.
0.1 Bp (Zoey);0.2 BR boa (Casey, Ally);0.1 Dumeril's (Missy);1.0 Albino bp (Mojo);1.0 Banana bp (Bozo);1.0 het ghost CRT (Dante);0.1 Woma python (Lilou);0.1 Desert bp (Skye);1.0 Pewter bp (Spencer);0.1 Champagne bp (Dumdum);0.1 woma bp (Gracie);0.1 pastel woma bp (Pixie);1.0 Super Pastel bp (Chester);0.1 blood python (Athena);1.1 CA boa (Pepper,Bobbi)
Login to remove ads
Old 09-28-15, 05:30 PM   #2
Mikoh4792

Re: Advice needed - blood python

"Taming" is the same for most snakes. Leave it alone for a few weeks. Then handle gently from time to time. A snake hook makes things much easier when transporting the snake in and out of the enclosure. Some snakes come "tame", and some snakes never calm down.

I'm not trying to be rude, but why did you not find out about husbandry requirements before acquiring the animal?
Old 09-28-15, 07:33 PM   #3
sophiedufort

I'm not trying to be rude, but why did you not find out about husbandry requirements before acquiring the animal?[/QUOTE]

We did, but there are some divided opinions about the substrate, for instance. Since blood pythons are known to be prone to respiratory infections, we are concerned. Newspapers? Aspen bedding? Or just some old towels that we can wash as needed and replace?
0.1 Bp (Zoey);0.2 BR boa (Casey, Ally);0.1 Dumeril's (Missy);1.0 Albino bp (Mojo);1.0 Banana bp (Bozo);1.0 het ghost CRT (Dante);0.1 Woma python (Lilou);0.1 Desert bp (Skye);1.0 Pewter bp (Spencer);0.1 Champagne bp (Dumdum);0.1 woma bp (Gracie);0.1 pastel woma bp (Pixie);1.0 Super Pastel bp (Chester);0.1 blood python (Athena);1.1 CA boa (Pepper,Bobbi)
Old 09-28-15, 08:51 PM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiedufort View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but why did you not find out about husbandry requirements before acquiring the animal?
We did, but there are some divided opinions about the substrate, for instance. Since blood pythons are known to be prone to respiratory infections, we are concerned. Newspapers? Aspen bedding? Or just some old towels that we can wash as needed and replace?[/QUOTE]

Where are you getting information that they are prone to RI's? How old is it?

To my knowledge, and I've worked with a number of them, that not one ever had an RI. I would suspect people are misdiagnosing RI's with their loud hissing. Other times it's wild caught specimens from back in the day. It's why I ask how old the material is.

As for substrate. I preferred using a cocohusk or eco earth type of bedding for mine. I liked the higher humidity for them as well as something for them to burrow in a bit.

You need to realize these snakes are the creme de creme of ambush predators. They will lay in wait FOREVER for prey. You say your snake was sleeping. She wasn't. She was watching you. I guarantee it.

Anyway, as for "taming" it may or may not happen. They are very vocal snakes as you've encountered and despite the strike pose it seems you have a calm one anyhow. Trust me, if they want to they'll strike without hesitation. So you should be okay but you have to approach her with caution. Nothing like a ball python.

This is a species you haven't dealt with the likes of before. The power behind them is immense and they strike without warning. I'd be careful with her in a sense of don't just go and grab her. It may startle her and that's never good.

Anyway, not to scare you but this is a different species that most people aren't quite ready for. I would say these are for snake lovers, not reptile lovers. Awesome animals but need some serious respect in my books.
Old 09-29-15, 08:34 AM   #5
sophiedufort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
We did, but there are some divided opinions about the substrate, for instance. Since blood pythons are known to be prone to respiratory infections, we are concerned. Newspapers? Aspen bedding? Or just some old towels that we can wash as needed and replace?
Where are you getting information that they are prone to RI's? How old is it?

To my knowledge, and I've worked with a number of them, that not one ever had an RI. I would suspect people are misdiagnosing RI's with their loud hissing. Other times it's wild caught specimens from back in the day. It's why I ask how old the material is.

As for substrate. I preferred using a cocohusk or eco earth type of bedding for mine. I liked the higher humidity for them as well as something for them to burrow in a bit.

You need to realize these snakes are the creme de creme of ambush predators. They will lay in wait FOREVER for prey. You say your snake was sleeping. She wasn't. She was watching you. I guarantee it.

Anyway, as for "taming" it may or may not happen. They are very vocal snakes as you've encountered and despite the strike pose it seems you have a calm one anyhow. Trust me, if they want to they'll strike without hesitation. So you should be okay but you have to approach her with caution. Nothing like a ball python.

This is a species you haven't dealt with the likes of before. The power behind them is immense and they strike without warning. I'd be careful with her in a sense of don't just go and grab her. It may startle her and that's never good.

Anyway, not to scare you but this is a different species that most people aren't quite ready for. I would say these are for snake lovers, not reptile lovers. Awesome animals but need some serious respect in my books.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Aaron

I just googled 'blood python' and read whatever was available. I don't know how old the info is, but you are probably right: it may be old. I noticed the hissing when we brought her home. Yesterday, my husband took her out, and she was incredibly good. No hissing, just relaxed exploring and 'tasting', after a few minutes of tension. She crawled on my husband's chest to sniff him, and tried to dig her way underneath me. Her neck was not coiled or tense, but rather straight and relaxed, tongue flickering not nervous, movement calm and deliberately slow. We didn't push out luck though. We put her back in her enclosure after a while. No issue with lifting her either, she was ok with it.
But she looks like a mean machine, sheer power oozing out of her. Amazing. We are lucky that Mike handled so many snakes during the past 40 years. Some of them were very aggressive, but in the end became tame.
Having a blood python is fascinating. I love every bit of it.
I don't know her age for sure. The guy we bought it from said she's one year old, but i don't know we can trust him. She's about two feet long.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
blood python