border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-15, 07:43 AM   #16
Pogie

Re: Good or bad enclosure?

After reading all of your opinions and doing some research online I did decide to get this.

This is what I have found reading up on the subject.

Seems some either really hate pine and say it's a death sentence, others say fine if sealed off good it is fine to use.
I can see why not to use the wood for bedding as it isn't sealed and the pine is in direct contact with the animal. When building however it is sealed off and never touches the animal.

And the thing isn't made of pine actually, just the panel on the inside and if I can replace that if I decide to as I will read more on this subject before putting anything or sealing anything in it.

Again thank you all for your input.
Old 09-27-15, 05:09 PM   #17
jjhill001

You aren't supposed to use pine or cedar as bedding for reptiles. This is 100% true.
Old 09-27-15, 08:56 PM   #18
Mikoh4792

The size is not an issue. The pine is.

No such thing as too big, only too open.. or too empty.
Old 09-28-15, 10:26 AM   #19
Pogie

Yup, I know about the pine bedding. I have never nor would I use it. But it makes sense that if the solid wood is sealed it should be fine. But like I said I am probably going to just remove the pine wood. It's only for the looks on the thing. Should come out easy.

I agree, about the size thing. I am trying to figure out how to "use" the top portion of it. I am thinking of making a rock background out of the foam stuff. I did it on one tank and I liked it a lot. And it's not to hard to do, this way I can make ledges so he can explore.
Old 09-28-15, 01:50 PM   #20
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogie View Post
Yup, I know about the pine bedding. I have never nor would I use it. But it makes sense that if the solid wood is sealed it should be fine. But like I said I am probably going to just remove the pine wood. It's only for the looks on the thing. Should come out easy.

I agree, about the size thing. I am trying to figure out how to "use" the top portion of it. I am thinking of making a rock background out of the foam stuff. I did it on one tank and I liked it a lot. And it's not to hard to do, this way I can make ledges so he can explore.
That would be good use of vertical space. Perches/Branches screwed onto the sides can also work as well..similar to what you see in green tree python enclosure.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-28-15, 05:54 PM   #21
chairman

Or live indoor trees/shrubs. The ones sturdy enough to hold snakes usually get too tall for standard enclosues... not a problem for this enclosure.
Old 09-29-15, 12:19 AM   #22
Georgia

Wrong. ALOT of snakes enjoy a nice open section in their enclosure. My Canebrakes are a testament to this. I'd say half the time they are out in the open coiled up in the dirt chillin.