border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-15, 10:39 AM   #16
SnoopySnake

Re: A Hard Decision, Not Sure What to Do

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere but have you tried African soft furs?
Old 08-31-15, 11:41 AM   #17
chairman

I don't know if it works for ball pythons, but have you tried thawing your mice/rats in no/low sodium chicken broth? I have a male sand boa that will decide not to eat now and then but he's never refused a chicken broth mouse.
Old 08-31-15, 06:35 PM   #18
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Hey bsg, me again. I have a pied male right now that is stuck on live mice. He's never taken a f/t anything. I used to sweat it and feel like I had to make him switch but you know what? These guys are captives and we should at least give them what they like to eat if it becomes problematic. Were you able to read that article by Colin Weaver? "The enigmatic ball python appetite" ? Don't forget what I typed to you b4. Good luck. I'm sorry, my pied has taken f/t b4 when he was younger , it was f/t day old chicks. That was the only time.
Oh, he eats f/t no problem now, it's just he doesn't appreciate my attempt to switch him to rats and is throwing a little temper tantrum. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopySnake View Post
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere but have you tried African soft furs?
No, I haven't. In the past, I usually just waited him out and he ate in his own time. I just want to get him to eat asap this time. If he refuses live, too, I'll see about getting him ASF's, but all I have access to are f/t ones ordered online, and idk if he'd eat it f/t atm, even if they were ASF's.

If you asked if I've tried something, chances are I haven't. So far, in this particular fast, all I've tried is feeding a rat behind the mouse. This worked once, but hasn't since. As said, in past fasts all I did was wait him out until he decided to eat. That's worked for me in the past, and would probably work this time, but I don't want to risk him losing too much weight and becoming emaciated before he eats again.
Old 09-05-15, 03:51 PM   #19
bigsnakegirl785

So live was a success, he took 2 mice this feeding. They're barely even a snack for him, so I'll need to get some more in about a week. At some point I'll try a live rat, with a few back-up mice in case he refuses the rat, that way he can get a decent amount of food in him. Then after awhile I'll try to get him back onto f/t mice, and then when he's back up to weight get him on f/t rats.

I think he'll be fine, I'll watch him and make sure he gains weight now that he's eating, but I don't think a vet will be necessary anymore. Whew.
Old 09-05-15, 03:53 PM   #20
dave himself

Glad to hear he's back to feeding, well done
Login to remove ads
Old 09-05-15, 03:58 PM   #21
bigsnakegirl785

Yeah, well the hard part is just beginning. I still have to get him eating f/t again, and I still have to get him back on rats. lol That's what started this whole mess. -.-

On top of that, we got the place so we'll be moving in a week or two, so he may start refusing even live here soon.
Old 09-06-15, 09:20 AM   #22
trailblazer295

Good luck with the move.
Old 09-06-15, 01:20 PM   #23
Albert Clark

Good luck with the move. That may turn out to be a surprise to you as far as him deciding to take rats after you move to a new location. Did you switch substrate to 100% cypress mulch? Did you get a chance to look at that article by Colin Weaver?
Old 09-07-15, 12:11 AM   #24
bigsnakegirl785

Thanks for wishes on the move! It's going to be good no longer sleeping on a pile of blankets in the living room.

And no, Albert, I haven't, I didn't see the use of it. If he had continued to refuse even live, I would have. But I've never had to resort to more than either continued offerings or live. I may use it in the future, but so far I think I'm fine doing what I'm doing.