border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-15, 11:51 AM   #1
Sasha2

Any ever use these rubbermaid tubs?

The big underbed with wheels. I like how the lid opens in one side or the other. If you do does it close nice and tight?
Heres the link
Rubbermaid Wheeled Underbed Box - Walmart.com

I lamed out on building a rack and now its just a set of shelves so I will need to use the lids, it would be awesome to use a tub that I only have to pull out halfway to open it.
The temporary area Im using is 21 inches wide and as long and tall as I like.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-12-15, 12:00 PM   #2
reptiledude987

Re: Any ever use these rubbermaid tubs?

I have similar tubs just a different brand. Its hard to tell in the picture. How does the lid secure?
Old 05-12-15, 02:02 PM   #3
Sasha2

I dont know how the lid secures I was hoping someone on here used them so I would know before I ordered a couple. They dont have them instore here.
Old 05-12-15, 03:32 PM   #4
Paul K

I've had that exact container but not for snakes. the lid has 2 plastic hinges that lock down on the long side but a snake could easily get out in the middle without any modifications. It could be doable but you would have to get creative to make it work.
Western Hognose: Truffles
Old 05-12-15, 04:39 PM   #5
Sasha2

Okay thanks I am not wanting to "be creative". Seems like that is all I ever do. I think I will keep looking. I did see some Iris tubs that had hinged lids as well but they are expensive. Here is a link Might be worth it in the long run though.
Amazon.com - Iris Underbed Storage Box 20" W X 39" L X 6.5" D, 58 Qt. - Lidded Home Storage Bins
Login to remove ads
Old 05-12-15, 05:34 PM   #6
pet_snake_78

I have Sterilite 1996, no wheels on that model/ The lid is too long for those latches to be effective. However, since you need a rack to put them in it doesn't make any difference. Another issue is two notches where the lid pries up. Anything the size of an adult cornsnake or bigger should be fine once you rack it. I think Iris also makes a christmas tree box but I don't know how secure the lid is, hopefully it won't have the annoying notches. In short, these have worked fine for me for a few months racked, but I might check out some other boxes if I were you and consider making a rack for them.
Old 05-12-15, 08:36 PM   #7
lukesreptiles

I personally wouldn't count on any tub lid to contain my snakes, and I have a dedicated exscap proof reptile room!
1.1Tiger,het Albino Retic1.0Java,Double het, Anthrax,Albino Retic0.1Purple sunfire,het genetic stripe Retic1.1Platinum,het genetic stripe Retic0.1 Suntiger,het genetic stripe Retic0.1Albino Burm 2.6 RTB One pastel, the rest unknown background 0.1 Nicaraguan Boa 1.0 Amazon tree boa ?.? Argentine B/W Tegu1.1 Nile Monitor
Old 05-13-15, 12:39 PM   #8
Sasha2

Well unfortunately this is what I have to work with( a set of shelves not a rack). Ive kept mine in tubs with lids for years with no escapes.However I use 10 lb flat weights on the lids along with the end latches, not much can push those up. I may buy the 1996, if I can find it without shipping it. I think if I use bungees or clips I will be okay.
I do have two iris christmas tree tubs, awesome size but again I had to use clips and weights to keep the lid solid.
Old 05-13-15, 08:21 PM   #9
Dan84

I use velcro along the top edge of my tub. Seems to be working.
Closed Thread