border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-15, 07:55 PM   #1
Praireboyfarmer

Keeping a Wild Caught King Snake.

I caught a Praire King Snake the otherday. It appears to be a Juvenile Snake and is very handable (I've quit bothering it to let it adjust to it's temporary home)

The thing is I was considering keeping it, or attempting to. I'm going to try to feed it soon.

What are the risks associated with this and should I do it? I know it's controversial but I'm willing to give it all the care it could possibly need and if for one minute I think my care is not enough I will release it. (I found it on my ranch, and I'll release it there.)

Admittedly I'm new to snakes and herpetology (I'm more of an Arachnid guy)

So my question is:

1: Am I putting myself or others in potential danger by keeping this snake?

2: Is this stressful to the snake if I leave it alone and introduce myself slowly? I figure snakes, like arachnids, are not bothered by being confined to a cage if their given adequate space and climate and are fed properly. They do not have such complex emotions as "Freedom". If I am wrong correct me.

3: If despite of all this and more I should not keep it please just say so. I'm really on the fence about it. I do not wish to be an irresponsible type imbecile who people critize on internet

Thank you. I'm also doing this to broaden my knowledge on snakes so anything is helpful!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-28-15, 08:27 PM   #2
Derek1

Re: Keeping a Wild Caught King Snake.

Nice find! I'm 100% on keeping wild caught if the natural population is good and you can care for the snake well and if it's a species I can't turn down. I only have 1 wild caught. Texas Rat Snake and he/she is awesome! I have a King which is my fav. Cal King. Just do some reading up on the Prairie and care/husbandry needs and he/she should do fine.

There are no dumb questions.
Old 04-28-15, 09:25 PM   #3
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

I say keep it for a while. Get some horse de-wormer for internal parasites (I'm sure someone else on here can tell you what kind and how much as well as how to administer it). I personally would try to get a few good feedings with live prey before trying to switch to f/t, though I'm sure someone will disagree with that. Just a personal preference for anything wild caught to ensure a regular feeding schedule.

Also...PICS PLEASE!

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 04-28-15, 09:37 PM   #4
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praireboyfarmer View Post
They do not have such complex emotions as "Freedom". If I am wrong correct me.
Welcome! and great topic! Your "freedom" topic (complex thoughts/emotions) just generated about a 17 page thread....you just picked a scab

But, I would agree w you on this topic. (there will be several here who disagree w this...they'll be along shortly)

As far as the other, prairie king snakes are very cool, I've several over the years. I don't get crazy twisted over wild caught native stuff, only if not illegal in your state, and as mentioned, you're not collecting endangered stuff. As far as giving meds....let your vet do that if you need to. If there doesn't seem to be a problem with overall health, just watch to for a bit, make sure not weight loss, bloody stools, etc.

Colubrids (native) are a little more forgiving on husbandry issues, but really pay attention to this and try to be consistent. Lots of good solid colubrid folks here that can get you going.
Old 04-29-15, 05:16 PM   #5
mistersprinkles

With lower animals like fish, inverts, and reptiles, I don't think keeping wild caught is necessarily a criminal act. With mammals and birds, keeping wild caught is absolutely reprehensible.

If you can provide an adequate home, care for all current and future needs of the snake, and are able to permanently properly house the animal, I see no problem with keeping it.

There are some concerns about keeping wild animals for any period of time and then releasing them. Concerns that they might "Forget" how to be wild and properly fend for themselves. Particularly if they are switched to pre-killed food. I would say that if you are going to keep it, you need to keep it for the long haul, or make sure that someone with equal capabilities can house the animal when you are no longer able to do so.

I agree with treating for parasites. If you are going to have a captive animal, it should have all the benefits of captivity (ie, medical care). I would also suggest a trip to a reptile vet to establish that the snake has no problems, but you and others may think that is a step too far. At least treat for internal parasites, and make sure the snake has no mites, and ticks.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-29-15, 05:25 PM   #6
jjhill001

Considering they had them CB on fauna classifieds for 5 dollars I think keeping WC is completely ridiculous.
Old 04-29-15, 07:22 PM   #7
Derek1

I agree on keeping it for the long haul. I wouldn't keep it for a year or two and release it. I'm also one that would only keep a baby or 1yr old from the start. I've caught plenty of adult Rat Snakes. I just handle for a bit and let go. But I've been waiting on catching a baby and did this year. And I personally know I can provide well for him and in for the long haul. Only other WC one I want is a baby Yellowbelly Racer. Seen plenty of adults, but only one baby a few years ago and I wasn't ready to care for it properly so I let it go.
Old 04-29-15, 07:33 PM   #8
mistersprinkles

I just wanted to add- I think the deworming, which you should have done, should be done by a professional, ie, a vet. You can do a lot of harm doing this yourself in terms of physical injury, stress, or overdose.
Old 04-29-15, 07:52 PM   #9
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
I just wanted to add- I think the deworming, which you should have done, should be done by a professional, ie, a vet. You can do a lot of harm doing this yourself in terms of physical injury, stress, or overdose.
This. The whole process is kinda gross.
Old 04-29-15, 08:27 PM   #10
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Why is it gross LadyBug? The deworming, or keeping wc in the first place? Just a little confused.

Login to remove ads
Old 04-29-15, 08:32 PM   #11
mistersprinkles

I think it's dangerous to the animal more than it is gross. You're forcing medication down the animal's throat. The dose has to be very precise. Forced ingestion is extremely stressful to snakes. Doing it wrong can physically injure the animal. Even doing it right causes massive stress. A professional should do it. I wouldn't even do it and I had snakes for over ten years.
Old 04-29-15, 08:37 PM   #12
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Why is it gross LadyBug? The deworming, or keeping wc in the first place? Just a little confused.
The deworming poops Are gross
Old 04-29-15, 08:49 PM   #13
Derek1

Quote:
I think it's dangerous to the animal more than it is gross. You're forcing medication down the animal's throat. The dose has to be very precise. Forced ingestion is extremely stressful to snakes. Doing it wrong can physically injure the animal. Even doing it right causes massive stress. A professional should do it. I wouldn't even do it and I had snakes for over ten years.
You can inject it into a dead mouse and feed.
Old 04-29-15, 08:52 PM   #14
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Gross poops yes. Personally, I wouldn't force it. I'd measure the correct amount and use a syringe to push it into the f/t prey's mouth/throat and just feed it to the snake and let it work through digestion. That's just me though. I do agree with proper vet care as well. I'm just so used to worming and vaccinating my own animals most of the time I guess. (Mostly horses since they are wormed on a regular basis, and it's cheaper/more convenient for me to administer the vacs myself, which I get from my vet who I have known for the better part of a decade and taught me how to do it correctly and safely) Not everyone has that luxury though.

Old 04-29-15, 09:44 PM   #15
SSSSnakes

Quote:
With lower animals like fish, inverts, and reptiles, I don't think keeping wild caught is necessarily a criminal act. With mammals and birds, keeping wild caught is absolutely reprehensible.

If you can provide an adequate home, care for all current and future needs of the snake, and are able to permanently properly house the animal, I see no problem with keeping it.

There are some concerns about keeping wild animals for any period of time and then releasing them. Concerns that they might "Forget" how to be wild and properly fend for themselves. Particularly if they are switched to pre-killed food. I would say that if you are going to keep it, you need to keep it for the long haul, or make sure that someone with equal capabilities can house the animal when you are no longer able to do so.

I agree with treating for parasites. If you are going to have a captive animal, it should have all the benefits of captivity (ie, medical care). I would also suggest a trip to a reptile vet to establish that the snake has no problems, but you and others may think that is a step too far. At least treat for internal parasites, and make sure the snake has no mites, and ticks.
In some states like NY, keeping wild caught snakes is a criminal act, if you don't have a license.

I don't care if people keep w/c, but often they are loaded with parasites. Keeping them in captivity can cause stress and then the parasites can take over and the snake may die. If you have to treat the snake for parasites it may be cheaper just to get a captive bred snake.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
king snake, wild