Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-15, 09:03 AM   #61
Helix Newton

Re: respiratory infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
It's cool that you have cultures and have a real lab growing them. However, don't get too ahead of yourself as it was already mentioned you got the wrong swab.
Did one nose swab as well,just didn't mention it in the post.
Old 02-10-15, 09:21 AM   #62
Helix Newton

Update:

Ok,so I called the doctor today and she said most of the dishes wore contaminated with mold and some from bacteria,there are multiple-cultures growing on some of the dishes but they all seem to be from our microbiological human environment or in my case contamination.I will know more when I get to the lab,probably on Thursday but I don't expect any good results for now.I will try to make some photos as well,can't wait!
Old 02-10-15, 10:23 AM   #63
yeloowtang

interesting !! just for info about bacteria/fungus etc etc..

in all of my years keeping snakes, i was only ever sold one sick ball python that i tried to save for 1 year
when we did the culture, now i can't remember the name of the fungus/bacteria/mold !!! but the vet said that it was the mold we get in water bowls or in wet cages that build up... and this is where the cleaning and desinfecting every day was important
this was all due to the previous owner and who knows how long it was sick before i got her..

that specific mold/fungus wasn't at all reptile related, it was common everyday mold that occures in the right enviroment, (hot,humid)
this combined with the RI made it more dificult to cure..and we needed the right meds that would take care of both issues.

now that poor snake didn't make it after all the hard work,time and $$ 700+$, just when it looked better, had a nice shed and started eating again, it woke up dead

I'm glad yours is doing better
just wanted to let you know that you will most likely not be looking for a reptile specific bacteria.

if they can somehow rule out the counter contamination and pinpoint to a pecific bacteria that comes from the swab, this would tell you what you need to know..

thje snake can be cured and perfect, but this would let you know if your husbandry needs to be double checked..

keep us posted
Old 02-10-15, 12:39 PM   #64
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix Newton View Post
Did one nose swab as well,just didn't mention it in the post.
As it was suggested it's a tracheal swab/culture needed. Nasal or mouth wouldn't have gotten the results needed.

Tracheal means throat/lungs.

Sorry to hear the results were contaminated.
Old 02-14-15, 03:38 PM   #65
Helix Newton

Update:

I called the doctor on Wednesday and unfortunately I found out that she had a death in her family and wont be working for a while,It was very awkward moment so I've decided it is best to gave her some time and I hope she calls me when she returns to work.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-17-15, 02:22 PM   #66
Snakesitter

I'm sure she will. Thanks for the update.
Website, Facebook
Closed Thread