border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-15, 10:53 AM   #1
Lichjen

Building stackable cages for redtails

I am looking at getting my redtails new enclosures - and I have been told about 6' is good - but I am going to need stackable. (not a lot of room)

I was going to buy some and it looks w/ heating and locks it is going to cost me $1200-$1600 so we'd like to look at building them instead

would like suggestions please
Login to remove ads
Old 02-01-15, 10:58 AM   #2
Jacktar

Re: Building stackable cages for redtails

I've been researching this too. The most popular are Boaphile (but I hear costumer service is lacking and it takes a long time to receive your order) and Animal Plastics (I've only heard good things). I'm considering going with Boamaster. I sent an email but have gotten no response. I'm hoping to catch them at the Charlotte Repticon to save myself from having too pay shipping costs.

The enclosure that I'm interested in purchasing through Boamaster is $140
Old 02-01-15, 02:17 PM   #3
Jim Smith

You might want to also consider Northwest Constrictors Constrictors Northwest for your cage needs. Ed makes a very high quality cage out of marine grade HDPE which does not stain with urates which a problem with some of the other PVC cages out there. His prices include shipping and while his cages are shipped unassembled, they only take about 30 minutes to assemble. Great guy to do business with and excellent quality products which can be custom sized if you need them to be. I have no affiliation with Ed, other than I am a VERY satisfied customer.
Old 02-02-15, 08:35 AM   #4
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

You could always make them yourself from wood, it can look really good These are almost 10f long, they were pretty costly to make. However, that's mainly because of my choice in lighting/heating/type of wood/thermostats/laquer. Purely the base of this construction (Glass/Wood/Sealant) was an estimated 750 / 800 If you keep the constriction simpler (skip the openings in between, and decoration), and use a cheaper wood. I am sure you could build them for less, especially since you're looking for smaller sized enclosures.

Old 02-02-15, 10:02 AM   #5
Jacktar

That looks great Tsubaki
Login to remove ads
Old 02-02-15, 10:05 AM   #6
millertime89
Forum Moderator

AP, Vision, or Sentec are the way to go IMO. AP has pretty quick turn times and their 4x2x15" cage is a quick ship item that usually goes out in a week. If you want something taller call them up and talk with them. They'll even make custom sizes for you. For boas I would recommend a floor 4x2 base and the height is up to you.
Old 02-02-15, 08:17 PM   #7
CrotalusFan

I picked up two AP T 8's a few of months ago. They're 48X24X12 and quick ship (patience), but they impressed me. Went together perfectly, look good, sturdy, lightweight (not used to being able to pick a 4' enclosure to chest height to place it on top of another). I just ordered two more with income tax today actually. It doesn't show up on their web site but they offer LED lighting as an option now if that's something you're interested in.
Old 02-02-15, 09:34 PM   #8
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrotalusFan View Post
It doesn't show up on their web site but they offer LED lighting as an option now if that's something you're interested in.
That's good to know, thanks!
Closed Thread