border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-14, 07:26 PM   #1
trailblazer295

radiant heat panel recommendations

hey all

I recently set up my first herp tank which is a 2x2x1 pvc BP cage. After trying a few things over the past week to bring the cold side ambient temp up unsuccessfully and with some research it is apparent a radiant heat panel is required for my setup. The room temp ranges from 68-72f right now. I rent a basement apartment so I don't have control over the room temp. That is just the average swing through the day. I have occasionally woken up to 64f inside. With the middle of winter fast approaching I want to get the right heat setup. Despite the un-ideal cold side temps my BP seems to be quite happy and content in his home. I picked him up a week ago yesterday and have successfully fed him twice, last tuesday and today. But I'm still not satisfied with his living conditions long term, just happy he isn't stressed over it like I am. My question is what size of heat panel do I need and what brand(s) would you recommend? This will be connected to a herpstat to regulate the temperature.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-22-14, 11:18 PM   #2
sharthun

Re: radiant heat panel recommendations

I use reptile basics 40watt rhp's in my 3 animal plastics 48x24x15 inch enclosures and 2 40gal aquariums and they work well.

Reptile Basics 40 Watt Radiant Heat Panel - Reptile Basics Inc

Steve
Old 12-23-14, 09:13 AM   #3
IW17

Just contact any of the companies. Reptile basics, pro heat, etc. Tell them what you've got and they'll takeit from there.
Old 12-23-14, 06:10 PM   #4
trailblazer295

Waiting to hear back, I contacted one maker and was given a link to a canadaian herp selling site that didn't have a single heat panel listed. A different maker responded with a couple of questions about the cage design. Have yet to hear back again but satisfied with the service thus far.
Old 12-24-14, 04:23 AM   #5
reptiletalk

i recently bought HabiStat Reptile Radiator. 75 Watts . So far i am very happy and i am controlling them with HabiStat Twin Thermostat. . I am not promoting the site btw i just mentioning the products . I will post pics of my completed terrarium soon.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Login to remove ads
Old 12-24-14, 12:15 PM   #6
pdomensis

Just looking at the size of your cage and going off of Reptile Basics page, you're limited to a 28 watt (12x9"), which will cover almost half of the area of the cage. However, I would look into a larger cage and larger RHP that would be suitable for an adult BP.
Old 12-24-14, 12:45 PM   #7
trailblazer295

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdomensis View Post
Just looking at the size of your cage and going off of Reptile Basics page, you're limited to a 28 watt (12x9"), which will cover almost half of the area of the cage. However, I would look into a larger cage and larger RHP that would be suitable for an adult BP.
It's an idea I have in the back of my mind as he is quite active for a bp. Right now he is just a juvie around a foot long
Old 12-28-14, 09:24 AM   #8
trailblazer295

After research and talking to Rob at RBI he recommended a 40watt panel. I just ordered one from a Canadian site they recommended. I'll report back once I get the panel and see the results on heating.
Old 12-28-14, 10:00 AM   #9
trailblazer295

Just got a return email from Pro products and they are recommending their 40watt panel as well. Both top brands recommending the same panel is a good sign. My BP should be very happy. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-15, 05:31 AM   #10
KavomatovlHes

Send a message via Skype™ to KavomatovlHes
radiant heat panel recommenda

Had the same concern...just bought a "mini-starter" on eBay for about 50 delivered. They have heat shields for the mini ..that don't look that bad either.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-12-15, 09:41 AM   #11
Stewjoe

I highly recommend a quality thermostat. With those temp swings the thermostat will compensate and keep the cage a steady temperature.
Old 01-12-15, 04:56 PM   #12
trailblazer295

I'm looking for now, I'll have one by the time my heat pads arrive. For now a reptistat is controlling my UTH