border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-14, 05:42 PM   #1
Derek1

How long to thaw pinkies

I tried to feed my new King a pinkie today and she wanted no part of it. I thawed it out for 2 hours. It felt warm to me. She has also only been in her enclosure for 2 days so maybe that had something to do with it.

I put her in a separate box and put the pinkie by her and then dangled it in front of her and no interest.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-24-14, 06:10 PM   #2
Dan84

Re: How long to thaw pinkies

What are the temps (hot/cold)?
How did you thaw out the pinkie?
Did you handle the snake prior to feeding?

General consensus is to wait at least 5-7 days before attempting to feed in a new home and to wait for a minimum of 2 successful feedings before handling. Also, there is little benefit to feeding in a separate container, it just stresses the snake out and you risk regurgitation.
Old 09-24-14, 06:20 PM   #3
FWK

Probably just not settled in yet. Although I usually offer food the day after they arrive and I haven't had a snake refuse yet, save one Ball Python who was off feed anyway. Some details on your enclosure may help, number of hides, temps, humility, etc. Pictures would be awesome. Two hours to thaw the pinkie seems unnecessary, I put pinkies in a bowl of warm water for just a few minutes lol. They are so small it does not take long.
Old 09-24-14, 06:39 PM   #4
Derek1

I'll get some pics of the enclosure tomorrow. It's at my office. I don't have a hot/cool side yet. Bulb is coming in tomorrow. It's 79 degrees on the term. I didn't handle her today but checked through the aspen shavings to make sure she didn't get out since I put on a new lid yesterday. I have hides coming in too. She has stuff to climb on, but not a dome log type of hide. She like to borrow in the Aspen. I just thawed the pinky out buy setting it on my office at room temp for a couple hours.
Old 09-24-14, 06:56 PM   #5
FWK

Once you get the rest of the enclosure set up offer food again. I'd try warming the pinkie in warm tap water, thawing it in the air may have dried it out a bit and made it smell less tasty.

P.S. I wish I could keep a snake at the office But my coworkers would freak lol.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-24-14, 07:53 PM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I thaw my pinks naturally for a few hours then rinse them in hot tap water before I serve them up. I used to thaw them in hot water but after a couple of exploding pinkys I switched methods. I agree with the others, once your husbandry is dialed all the way in, he'll eat just fine. Kings are some pretty monster feeders so you have nothing to worry about. If she's shy you can try putting her in a covered deli cup with the pinky. Once she has a couple of hides for security and a good thermal gradient you'll be in great shape. I'm not a fan of heat bulbs as a primary heat source but I've heard they can work as long as they're controlled by a thermostat as all heat sources should be. I prefer under tank heaters or radiant heat panels.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 09-24-14, 08:36 PM   #7
metalcopper

Try leaving it in over night, if you didn't already.
Old 09-25-14, 07:59 AM   #8
Derek1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
I'm not a fan of heat bulbs as a primary heat source but I've heard they can work as long as they're controlled by a thermostat as all heat sources should be. I prefer under tank heaters or radiant heat panels.
I do have a under tank pad heater I can use.
Old 09-25-14, 08:48 AM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
I do have a under tank pad heater I can use.
I'd definitely go with the uth if you have one. Get your warm side somewhere between 86-90 and your cool side in the low-mid 70's. Ambient humidity will be fine for kings. Put a hide on both sides of the tank and a few fake plants for cover and you're good to go. Let your animal settle in for 2-3 days and offer food again. I wouldn't handle the snake until she's eaten twice with no issues and wouldn't handle her for 48 hours after any feeding. Keep us posted on your progress and share pics of your snake and set up when you can. Best wishes!
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 09-25-14, 11:19 AM   #10
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
I'll get some pics of the enclosure tomorrow. It's at my office. I don't have a hot/cool side yet. Bulb is coming in tomorrow. It's 79 degrees on the term. I didn't handle her today but checked through the aspen shavings to make sure she didn't get out since I put on a new lid yesterday. I have hides coming in too. She has stuff to climb on, but not a dome log type of hide. She like to borrow in the Aspen. I just thawed the pinky out buy setting it on my office at room temp for a couple hours.
a snake won't eat if there's not enough heat to aid digestion

once you get your bulb and get the tank running at the correct temps,he should eat for you

cheers shaun
Old 09-25-14, 12:29 PM   #11
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Also try super heating the prey after thawing. Two hours is plenty for a pink but once thawed run some hot water from the sink and dunk the head of the pinkie in for a few minutes to get it nice and toasty warm.
Old 09-29-14, 07:31 AM   #12
Derek1

I gave it 2 days and tried to feed again on Friday afternoon, a day after I installed a hide and UTH. Still didn't want to eat. So I put the pinky in a small dixie cup along the tank on a common path she takes. Sometime between Friday afternoon and last night she ate it.
Old 09-29-14, 08:31 AM   #13
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Congrats on the successful feed.
Closed Thread