Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-14, 01:15 PM   #16
kwhitlock

Re: Beginner Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentoReptile View Post
Our society just had a presentation on "Beginner Herps." In fact, that is why I created 4 different threads (lizards, turtles, amphibians, snakes), just because I wanted to see what people would say. In short, I think it is hard for us veteran herpers to step outside the box and evaluate what would really be the best starter ______, because we've kept most of them, and know (or think we know) everything about them.

A beginner coming into the hobby, we have to assume, knows nothing. That's not an attack on anyone personally, but its the truth. We can say "Well, if you do your research, ____ would make a good choice." Well, that's kind of an oxymoron. Most beginners do NOT do any research before getting the animal, so that really narrows down the choices. You want to suggest something simple, that few people can screw up.
---
I was very surprised on how many people suggested carpet pythons for beginners. In short, they do get fairly large, and they can be snappy (or at least cage-aggressive).

I recommend something native to the OP's area, and easy: a ratsnake, cornsnake (do they have corns in Michigan?) or a kingsnake. The reason I suggest this is because: exit strategy. If you get bored with it, you can let the thing go. No "I gotta rehome this because of ____. I need it gone asap!" etc etc etc.

I also suggest getting the beginner herp, keep it for a year and don't get anything else. We all know herps are addicting, but this mentality often leads to a mini-hoarder situation. We've all done it. We get something, but every trip to the reptile show, we bring home more, and within a matter of months, you got a roomful of herps. Many people get overwhelmed shortly after, and those herps start popping up on local classifieds ads. Get ONE snake, keep it for a year to show you are dedicated to it.

Some of you scoff, and are probably rolling your eyes, but our rescue group, and several foster homes are filled with ball pythons, corn snakes, carpet pythons and boas....all of which were "beginners" where the previous owner only had for a few months.
Just to answer your question, no corns in MI. There really isn't any true rat snakes to my knowledge. Garters, racers, Hoggies, water moccasins, and the one rattle snake is all that is native. I would think it gets to cold up here for a corn.
0.0.1 Emerime leopard gecko ~~Kevin
Old 08-14-14, 01:22 PM   #17
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitlock View Post
Just to answer your question, no corns in MI. There really isn't any true rat snakes to my knowledge. Garters, racers, Hoggies, water moccasins, and the one rattle snake is all that is native. I would think it gets to cold up here for a corn.
There are no water moccasins in MI.. The only venomous snake in MI is the Eastern Massasauga, and the Eastern Hognose, if you want to consider that. We have black rat snakes, brown snakes, blue racers, eastern milk snakes, fox snakes, ribbon snakes, kirtlands snakes, ring necked snakes, red-bellied snakes, queen snakes, common and butler's garters, copper-bellied and northern water snakes, and smooth green snakes.

I'd ask DNR about the laws with keeping native snakes here beforehand though, I'm not sure you can.
Old 08-16-14, 03:51 PM   #18
StudentoReptile

Yeah, I'm not sure on other state's laws, and I'm certainly not advocating anyone break the law. By all means, check with local DNR laws to see what you can legally possess. If you can still get a corn, even if they're not native, they are IMHO simpler than pythons, and also easier to rehome if you need to.

But my main point was just to start with something simple. If nothing local (legally) fits the bill, maybe a ball python is the way to go. But make sure this is something you want and not a passing whim. Too many free ball pythons going unwanted out there because A.) the owner got bored, or B.) just so-called "worthless" by-product from breeders that have no real monetary value.

Check with local herp societies and rescues to see if any adoptable "rescued" snakes are available. Beats paying full retail for something, and its always admirable to adopt a rescue animal.
Old 08-16-14, 04:20 PM   #19
54bogger
Banned

I agree with the above post, ball python's are a very good first snake. But what do I know, my first snake was a Eastern Diamondback rattler.lol
Old 08-16-14, 07:26 PM   #20
franks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David VB View Post
Amen!!! Exactly what i would type
I like you David lol. You are always agreeing with me. Thanks man. (You must be a smart fella)
Login to remove ads
Old 08-16-14, 07:41 PM   #21
franks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentoReptile View Post

I recommend something native to the OP's area, and easy: a ratsnake, cornsnake (do they have corns in Michigan?) or a kingsnake. The reason I suggest this is because: exit strategy. If you get bored with it, you can let the thing go. No "I gotta rehome this because of ____. I need it gone asap!" etc etc etc.
Can you explain how it is a good idea to recommend to new time keepers that it is permissible to let a captive born snake go in the wild if you get bored of it? I was kind of surprised by your comment and I feel it warrants an explanation of sorts. I'm not trying to be belligerent, I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt- with respect.
Old 08-16-14, 08:47 PM   #22
StudentoReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks View Post
Can you explain how it is a good idea to recommend to new time keepers that it is permissible to let a captive born snake go in the wild if you get bored of it? I was kind of surprised by your comment and I feel it warrants an explanation of sorts. I'm not trying to be belligerent, I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt- with respect.
When did I say it had to be captive born?

---

I do apologize for not being clear earlier; when I suggested a native species, I meant specifically a normal animal, and not a mutation. I do not suggest releasing albinos or motleys or anything like that.

As far as releasing ANY pet reptile in the wild, I am aware that it is not really recommended. But people do it anyway, there's plenty of evidence that supports this, and it is not just a Burmese python-in-Florida problem. Just one example: a couple months ago, I got a call about a python loose in someone's yard. I was initially skeptical, but our local rescue responded and it was a confirmed BALL PYTHON. [Wait...ball pythons are so easy and popular as pet snakes. Why would people be turning them loose? #sarcasm]

My point being is that while I, as much as anyone, prefer to keep captive animals in captivity, and wild animals in the wild...humans are still humans, and realistically, most are ignorant, and will sometimes opt for the easiest way to solve their problems, with no disregard to the environment. If they're going to turn a pet loose, I would prefer it to be a native one.
---
On the issue of whether or not it is ethical to release CBB animals back into nature, here are my thoughts:
1.) Most indigenous species are threatened in some way, and simply throwing them on a non-game protected list often does little to protect the species. Captive propagation and releasing offspring into designated areas is a fairly effective method of conserving that species & restoring wild populations. Yes, I believe there are protocols to follow, but in general, it works.
2.) Some people balk at the notion, citing the risk of pathogen transmission from captive populations to wild ones. To some level, I agree this is a concern, but in most cases, I feel the benefits outweigh the risks. Like I said above, I think there should be protocols regarding isolation and clean environments, but on the flip side, I feel there are bigger issues to worry about, and I would rather someone turn that corn or rat snake loose (providing it IS native to their area) as opposed to letting it wither away in a glass box if they don't feel like caring for it anymore.

Feel free to disagree with me; don't really care. Just my viewpoint from the experience I have gained. I know its a cynical one, but after working 15+ yrs in pet stores, vet clinics, animal rescue & animal control...dealt with too many stupid humans and in ALL of those vocations I have had in addition to just doing this as a hobby, I have repeatedly had to deal with the aftermath of impulse decisions, neglect & downright idiocy.
Old 08-18-14, 05:59 PM   #23
NewHerp293

I dont know if its something youd be into as they stay pretty small but I LOVE my little rosy boa as a beginner snake. I have nothing against balls but I just like to be different so I went with the small boa.

1.0 Leopard Gecko 0.1 Rosy Boa 0.0.1 Western Painted Turtle
Old 08-19-14, 08:35 PM   #24
LiL Zap

Have you ever considered a corn snake? Ball pythons can be finicky eaters and a little bite happy as babies. Corn snakes get to a manageable size for a beginner (3ft-5ft) and they're too easy to take care of.
Closed Thread