border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-14, 05:53 PM   #1
soadtoxicity87

Unhappy Baby King not eating

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forums and need some advice because I am a new snake owner and want my baby king snake to eat his first meal. I ordered my king snake online and he came healthy and had been fed already. I have since tried feeding him pinkies and the first day he accepted it and couldn't get his mouth around it. He tried 3 times and then gave up. I continued to attempt to feed him everyday since and it has been 4 days straight with no luck. I feed him in a shoe box outside of his terrarium. I have tried the braining / cutting into pieces and he just doesn't seem interested. I know he is a baby and should be fed more often but I am concerned that he tried to eat the first time and now has given up. What should I do??

He lives in a 10g with cool side 75 hot side 90. i have two hides for him and water dish which he does drink from a lot.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-27-14, 08:28 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Baby King not eating

Welcome to the forum. You may want to give your king a while to settle in to his new environment. Don't try feeding him so often, it will just stress him more. Your temps seem ok even though 90 may be a little high for the warm side. Is your heat source controlled by a thermostat? That's very important. How large are the pinkies you're feeding? Most kings can handle prey 1-1.5 times their width. Can you find smaller pinkies? Give him a week and try to feed him again. I wouldn't handle him until he's had at least 2 meals. Best wishes and keep us posted.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-27-14, 09:22 PM   #3
sharthun

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
Welcome to the forum. You may want to give your king a while to settle in to his new environment. Don't try feeding him so often, it will just stress him more. Your temps seem ok even though 90 may be a little high for the warm side. Is your heat source controlled by a thermostat? That's very important. How large are the pinkies you're feeding? Most kings can handle prey 1-1.5 times their width. Can you find smaller pinkies? Give him a week and try to feed him again. I wouldn't handle him until he's had at least 2 meals. Best wishes and keep us posted.
I agree, with EZ. Hey and welcome! Post pics of your snake and setup here when you get a chance.

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/lampr...ngs-forum.html

Steve
Old 07-28-14, 03:55 PM   #4
soadtoxicity87

Thanks guys!

Since I'm new to having a pet snake I was just worried that he wasn't eating or that he did not want to reattempt because the pinkie was too large. He will be fine if I wait another 5 days to attempt to feed him? Just need some reassurance. He still slithers in my hands and sticks his tongue out a lot. Shows no real sign of being ill. I will post pics soon and lower the hot side a little. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-28-14, 03:59 PM   #5
soadtoxicity87

I found smaller pinkies and will try in a bout 5 days again to feed him. I also have a heating pad on its way in the mail with a thermostat. Maybe the heat from below will change his appetite. Thanks guys!!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-14, 06:19 PM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

You're on the right track SO. He'll be ok if you feed him in a few days. You can also try putting the snake and pinky in a deli cup together to get him focused on his meal. Let us know how it goes. Best wishes.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 08-02-14, 04:54 PM   #7
soadtoxicity87

Hey guys wanted to give an update. He finally ate a pinkie on Friday. I put him in a deli cup with the pinkie in the dark and came back and it was gone. He also shed today, so maybe that had something to do with his loss of appetite. Thanks for the advice and still going to post pictures!
Old 08-02-14, 09:22 PM   #8
sharthun

Quote:
Originally Posted by soadtoxicity87 View Post
Hey guys wanted to give an update. He finally ate a pinkie on Friday. I put him in a deli cup with the pinkie in the dark and came back and it was gone. He also shed today, so maybe that had something to do with his loss of appetite. Thanks for the advice and still going to post pictures!
Way to go!

Steve
Old 08-03-14, 02:38 AM   #9
Teal

Woohoo! Congratulations!
Old 08-03-14, 01:23 PM   #10
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Congrats on the successful feeding!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
baby snake, feeding, king snake, pinkie mice, problem