border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-14, 07:41 AM   #121
StudentoReptile

Re: Herps you don't think should be kept as pets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
So you are saying that 99% of the reptile community is the problem? Thats total nonsense. I think you got that backwards.
You're entitled to your opinion and I am to mine.

If you have ever sold, bought or traded a reptile, you are part of the merry-go-round, and thus, part of this whole mess. If you continue to look in the mirror, and as long you think "Oh I didn't do anything wrong ; It's all the _____ that are wrong, not me ; I told them how big it gets, and it's going to need ___ before they bought it ; well, I live in America, and I have a right to make a living and make money as long as I care for my animals, etc, etc..".....yeah, you're part of the problem.

...and tell me that is not how 99% of herpers think.

BTW, this is coming from someone who has done these things and finally looked in the mirror and realized the truth, and decided to get off the merry-go-round.
Old 07-13-14, 08:22 AM   #122
Mikoh4792

StudentoReptile would you say buying a reptile as a pet is inherently a part of the problem as well?
Old 07-13-14, 08:25 AM   #123
franks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
StudentoReptile would you say buying a reptile as a pet is inherently a part of the problem as well?
Yes he would: his opening line was "if you have ever sold, BOUGHT, or traded a reptile.
Old 07-13-14, 08:35 AM   #124
franks

So... Basically you took the question "what herps should not be kept as pets?" -and through a series of short essays on this post came to the conclusion that none of them should be? They shouldn't be "bought, sold, or traded" at all. So if it were up to you, none of us would have reptiles of aby kind?
Old 07-13-14, 08:49 AM   #125
FWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks View Post
So... Basically you took the question "what herps should not be kept as pets?" -and through a series of short essays on this post came to the conclusion that none of them should be? They shouldn't be "bought, sold, or traded" at all. So if it were up to you, none of us would have reptiles of aby kind?
Hes been saying so all along, that's why I quit arguing with him about it. Read between the lines. He says hes been an animal control officer for a long time. He has seen to much of the bad side of the pet industry, he is jaded on the whole thing. I used to see this sort of thing all the time working with retired cops. We called it post traumatic stress disorder. I even called him a troll and he just tipped his cap with a smug smile and said why yes I am. Just ignore him lol.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-13-14, 09:46 AM   #126
StudentoReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks View Post
Um...no, no, and no.

No, I never said no herps should be kept as pets. I never said none of them should be bought, sold, or traded. And I never said if it were up to me, nobody else would have reptiles of any kind. That would be hypocritical and selfish of me.

Those are assumptions on your part.
---
I have merely stated my opinions that the issues & problems we are experiencing (legislature, irresponsible keepers, etc) are caused by the herp hobby & industry as a whole, and as a whole, everyone is part of that hobby, and everyone is part of that merry-go-round, including myself. I'm not saying that everyone stops keeping pets right now. All I have been saying is that the way we have been doing things thus far is not working, because these problems are still existing and getting worse.

Is regulation the answer? Maybe & maybe not. But we're not doing it by ourselves very well. Just saying.

Is revolution the answer? Maybe....but I'm telling you the game has changed just a tad in the past few centuries.

But whatever...you guys are the breeders, so you know better and more than me. I only see the bad and the worse, so I apparently I could not possibly offer any fresh perspective to this matter.
Old 07-13-14, 09:54 AM   #127
Mikoh4792

deleted. Invalid argument

Last edited by Mikoh4792; 07-13-14 at 10:06 AM..
Old 07-13-14, 10:03 AM   #128
franks

Hey, please don't get defensive SOR. It's hard for me to believe that you really think that and that is why I asked you to clarify. If you go back and re - read the post I commented on, you will see that the questions I drew are pretty valid based on the words that you wrote. Your perspective (given your occupation) is a very unique one on this forum, and although it's clear that it heavily influences your thoughts about this (as it should) it is valuable to this conversation.
There is no right answer tho this problem. I stated this before. My analogy compared this issue to keeping dogs.
In a scenario where there is not a right answer I do not feel the responsible should be punished for the irresponsible. That is the only place where you and I seem to disagree.
Old 07-13-14, 01:55 PM   #129
StudentoReptile

It is a big issue with a long history. When I say everyone is part of problem (mind you, I do not mean that everyone has an EQUAL part of the problem), I mean that the industry is driven by greed. Its a tough pill to swallow, but people need to take it and accept it.

You ever acquired an animal and taken it upon yourself to care for that animal, provide for its needs until it dies of natural causes? Did you follow through on your word? Or did you eventually sell off that animal for money or trade it for something else you wanted better?

If your answer is the latter, then you put your own desires above the animals welfare = greed. And we all have done it; we've done it at shows, online, at gas stations, flea markets, etc.

Big snakes, big lizards, big turtles & tortoises...ever gotten rid of one because it got too large for you? Did you sell it? Well, sure maybe the person who got knew what they were doing, and maybe they didn't. But deep down, if you were honest with yourself, did you make the decision based on "I need money more than I need this animal." Mind you, I'm not asking you to respond to these questions on this thread, but just to look back think about those things.

[Now I'm not talking about rehoming an animal because you had to move or you literally got over your head and were financially unable to care for it, and gave it to a better home; that is different. Those cases are exceptions to the rule.]

And we've been doing this for decades...all of us.

Believe me, I'm in it, too. I keep stuff for various reasons: I got a ball python because he was my very first snake back in 1991 and even though he's cranky, and I don't care much for BPs now, I ain't getting rid of him. I have a anery cornsnake that was a rescue & pretty mellow that I keep primarily for my kids. I have tortoises that were rescues, and I keep mainly as pets for me and the kids. I have a water snake I have for educational purposes. That doesn't count all the stuff I have had over the yrs I have acquired and gotten rid of. A lot of stuff I wish I kept, and a lot of stuff I never should have gotten in the first place.

And there's a lot of stuff I still want, too! I want a Boelen's python. I want an Argentine tegu. I want Solomon prehensile-tailed skinks. I want to keep hots.

There's a reason I bring that up. My state is pretty lazy when it comes to reptile laws. Their mentality is: toss it on non-game listing (which requires little due process) and if it goes extinct, that's just nature's way. They also do not take much account for the pet trade. So if they feel it is justified, they may throw non-native species of any kind on the prohibited list. The only way to keep it is a permission letter from DCNR. But it is easier for them to say no to everyone because it is less work for them.

SOOOOO....what am I to do? Just sit around and whine every time they prohibit something else in my state? They already threw speckled kingsnakes on the nongame list, one of the most common and easiest to keep snakes in our state, and one of my favorite species. I can be an outlaw and just keep them anyway, but I can tell you what, fellas; animal control officers don't make enough dough to pay off tickets for keeping illegal wildlife if I get caught! Just sayin! Maybe that works for some of you, but I got a wife and 2 kids. I can't afford to risk fines just to keep "whatever I want because I'm gonna stick it to the man."

...Or I can work toward change, toward a hobby in the future where my children can still keep a cornsnake in Alabama, and I can still get a Boelen's python or a Solomon Islands skink.

But I'm not a person who prefers stagnation or deterioration.
---
I know this thread has taken some odd turns, but I feel it, for the most part has stayed somewhat true to the general topic. The OP asked what herps should be kept as pets, and people responded. Whether is it a matter of welfare or a matter of rights/privileges (irresponsible keepers, which arguably could go back to welfare), it is still an opinion of each poster of why they feel which species (if any) should not be kept. I posted which species, and explained why.

I know I've been accused of "dominating" the discussion (not sure how, it is a public forum, and anyone can chime and post as much as they want as long it is accordance to the rules)...but anywho, if anyone is interested in chatting the subject matter further with me, feel free to send me a PM, email, I'll be more than happy to oblige. I kinda feel like a broken record at this point though.

Last edited by StudentoReptile; 07-13-14 at 02:01 PM..
Closed Thread