border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > General Lizard Forum.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-14, 01:15 PM   #1
SnoopySnake

Question Weird Iguana Behavior?

So, I guess I should start out with, around March we had to take my iguana to the vet for some kind of tail gangrene. The first visit they prescribed oral antibiotics for us to give him every day, and Silver Sulfadiazine to put on the infected spots. He seemed to make some slight progress, but then it got worse. At next weeks appointment, he prescribed an antibiotic to inject every three days. At the next weeks appointment, the tail looked a bit better, so we gave the shots another week. Well, at the next weeks appointment after that, we all decided he wasn't making enough progress and we decided to amputate his tail up to the last visible spot of gangrene, and after the amputation we did another 2 rounds of the antibiotics. I'm happy to say that the antibiotics combined with amputation worked and his tail has healed up nicely. Through the whole ordeal he behaved wonderfully, never bit or anything. He's always been a very tame iguana, never aggressive. But about a month after the last vet visit and the shots were done with, he would start bobbing his head at me every now and then if I went by his enclosure. Now, about two months later, he does it nearly every time I go by his enclosure, occasionally he'll come up to the front of the enclosure and off of his branch to try to bite at me. Sometimes he'll just do it out of nowhere, with no one even near the enclosure. Also, he only does it to me specifically, no one else. I wasn't the one giving him the shots, my dad did, and I also am the one who gives him food every day. I know this is him showing that he's agitated, but I'm really confused as to why, and why he only does it to me. When I mist him he usually puts his flap away and it seems like he enjoys it. Last night after I got done misting him, I starting spraying off his branch and he suddenly turned around to try to attack the stream of water. Anyone have any ideas as to why he might be acting like this? Sorry for the long post..
Login to remove ads
Old 07-12-14, 01:38 PM   #2
StudentoReptile

Re: Weird Iguana Behavior?

How old is the iguana? SOunds like the hormone fairy has arrived and he is becoming sexually active. Fairly typically around 2 yrs-ish, (approx 2-3 ft range).
Old 07-12-14, 01:57 PM   #3
SnoopySnake

He's actually about 9 years old. I forgot to mention, the only other time he's done this was about 7 years ago, when we had my bearded dragon. If he could see her, then he would bob his head like that.
Old 07-12-14, 03:43 PM   #4
StudentoReptile

Any other changes in the household? Other pets, including birds or lizards? Any new humans move in?
Old 07-12-14, 04:05 PM   #5
SnoopySnake

Only other change was I moved him into my bedroom about a week before we noticed the gangrene. I do house my 3 snakes in my room as well, but they've been in here since before we moved him in, and if I get the snakes out and let them see each other he doesn't do anything, just looks at them. I also have a dog and a cat, but he doesn't show any signs of aggression toward them either.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-12-14, 05:28 PM   #6
SnoopySnake

I guess I didn't really consider it before, but I'm pregnant, and I've read that sometimes when they're in season they can detect a menstruating female and become aggressive towards them. Seems kinda weird to me, but do you think he can detect the hormonal changes and maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 07-13-14, 07:57 AM   #7
StudentoReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopySnake View Post
I guess I didn't really consider it before, but I'm pregnant, and I've read that sometimes when they're in season they can detect a menstruating female and become aggressive towards them. Seems kinda weird to me, but do you think he can detect the hormonal changes and maybe that has something to do with it?
Bingo. Yes, they can and it is very common for male iguanas to react to this.
Old 07-13-14, 09:22 AM   #8
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentoReptile View Post
Bingo. Yes, they can and it is very common for male iguanas to react to this.
Huh. That's really interesting, guess that would explain why he only does it to me, lol. Thanks for helping me figure that one out!
Closed Thread