sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-14, 12:37 PM   #31
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: How big should a 17 month old yellow rat snake be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
Hi , Welcome to the reptile industry. I bought a pair of geckos, my male died after two weeks. I paid 1,500$. To some, thats not so bad. Its part of the hobby unfortunately not every animal purchase will be as expected.
That isn't the reptile industry. Please don't paint the entire industry in a bad way when you had a single bad experience.

I wouldn't be around for as long as I have if I had believed the entire industry is this way.
Old 03-04-14, 12:42 PM   #32
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
That isn't the reptile industry. Please don't paint the entire industry in a bad way when you had a single bad experience.

I wouldn't be around for as long as I have if I had believed the entire industry is this way.
I didnt say the entire industry is this way. But if you stick around , eventually you will receive animals which are not what you hoped for , intentional or not. Dont be annoying and put words in my mouth so you can find something to argue about.
Old 03-04-14, 12:45 PM   #33
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I didnt say the entire industry is this way. But if you stick around , eventually you will receive animals which are not what you hoped for , intentional or not. Dont be annoying and put words in my mouth so you can find something to argue about.
I am not arguing. I simply pointed out what you did say.

Verbatim "Welcome to the reptile industry...."

You indicated the entire reptile industry.

Further to your point, if due diligence is done correctly then there never will be a time you recieve an animal that you had not hoped for.

I can only speak for me personally but I have yet, in almost 2 decades, ever recieved an animal that I didn't hope for.

I feel for the OP as it just seems there was a miscommunication and wasn't made aware of a potential size issue. If it's any consolation the animal looks to be healthy otherwise from the pictures.
Old 03-04-14, 12:48 PM   #34
smy_749

Quote:
I am not arguing. I simply pointed out what you did say.

Verbatim "Welcome to the reptile industry...."

You indicated the entire reptile industry.

Further to your point, if due diligence is done correctly then there never will be a time you recieve an animal that you had not hoped for.

I can only speak for me personally but I have yet, in almost 2 decades, ever recieved an animal that I didn't hope for.

I feel for the OP as it just seems there was a miscommunication and wasn't made aware of a potential size issue. If it's any consolation the animal looks to be healthy otherwise from the pictures.
Welcome to the reptile industry indicates that everyone does this? Give me a break and get off your high horse. Never been screwed or received an unhealthy animal? bullshit
Old 03-04-14, 12:56 PM   #35
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Welcome to the reptile industry indicates that everyone does this? Give me a break and get off your high horse. Never been screwed or received an unhealthy animal? bullshit
You can call BS all you like but because you hold a personal problem (which until this day I never knew) don't misconstrue my experiences.

As I said, in my experiences this has happened. Maybe it's due in fact I have made 90% of my purchases in person. I do not know the cause. Maybe it's in part to luck. I just know what has happened to me and what my personal process is for selecting animals.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-04-14, 01:41 PM   #36
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

I really don't feel bad for the op. He never got his questions answered before purchasing and this is what can happen. Stop whining all over the forums or send the snake back.
Old 03-04-14, 02:14 PM   #37
CosmicOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
I really don't feel bad for the op. He never got his questions answered before purchasing and this is what can happen. Stop whining all over the forums or send the snake back.
He said that the breeder gave him a day to make the decision, otherwise the animal was gonna get packed up for a show.
Old 03-04-14, 02:23 PM   #38
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
He said that the breeder gave him a day to make the decision, otherwise the animal was gonna get packed up for a show.
This is part of why I have never had a bad experience with purchasing an animal.

I would never let this type of thing force me into purchasing an animal. There are more yellow rats out there and if I wasn't 100% comfortable then I would simply pass.

I still feel bad for the OP as all the information wasn't disclosed either. Lesson learned for the future.
Old 03-04-14, 04:51 PM   #39
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
Go read the boi thread again.
Old 03-04-14, 05:32 PM   #40
poomwah

thanks zig, I'm not sure what to do with the snake, nobody here likes it, they had their hearts set on what it looked like in the picture, nobody was expecting the big colorless patch on its snout that conveniently didn't show in the picture.
she's too small for me to handle, and too feisty for the family to handle. I guess I'll have to try to get rid of her. Probably won't get much out of her, but even if I sell her for 20 dollars its smaller loss than sending her back AND I save her from the stress of being shipped again. I can't however get rid of her yet, because she's not eating.
SMY, I don't know how anyone can say "that's not so bad" That's awful. I'm so sorry you went through that.
1.0 Rat terrier/toy for terrier mix- LOUIS, 1.0 whitesided eastern rat- George, 1.0 NJ pine barrens northern pine- Chingachgook, 0.1 Taiwan Beauty- Mei-ling, 0.1 Yellow Texas Bull- Norma Jean, 3.0 "normal" corns Fettuccine and Jager, Higgins
Login to remove ads
Old 03-04-14, 05:37 PM   #41
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomwah View Post
thanks zig, I'm not sure what to do with the snake, nobody here likes it, they had their hearts set on what it looked like in the picture, nobody was expecting the big colorless patch on its snout that conveniently didn't show in the picture.
she's too small for me to handle, and too feisty for the family to handle. I guess I'll have to try to get rid of her. Probably won't get much out of her, but even if I sell her for 20 dollars its smaller loss than sending her back AND I save her from the stress of being shipped again. I can't however get rid of her yet, because she's not eating.
SMY, I don't know how anyone can say "that's not so bad" That's awful. I'm so sorry you went through that.
See if someone is willing to trade for her once she's eating. Try to make a good thing out of a bad situation.
Old 03-04-14, 05:42 PM   #42
poomwah

Quote:
See if someone is willing to trade for her once she's eating. Try to make a good thing out of a bad situation.
That's what I'm thinking too. Probably the best viable solution. May be tricky, given my locale, not a lot of snake people around here it seems. I'm definitely not trading her to someone at a pet shop. I wouldn't do that to the snake, LOL
1.0 Rat terrier/toy for terrier mix- LOUIS, 1.0 whitesided eastern rat- George, 1.0 NJ pine barrens northern pine- Chingachgook, 0.1 Taiwan Beauty- Mei-ling, 0.1 Yellow Texas Bull- Norma Jean, 3.0 "normal" corns Fettuccine and Jager, Higgins
Old 03-04-14, 06:36 PM   #43
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

My take on this.....
Wait, feed, enjoy.
Keep it. Beautiful little snake. Feed it and wait for it to grow. A year from now it will be much bigger. IMHO getting rid of it because it's small is sort of ....wrong. When your the reason it has grown to whatever size it becomes, you will be proud. Seriously.
I would keep it.
Old 03-04-14, 07:27 PM   #44
poomwah

Thanks Terra,
I know it would be wrong to get rid of a snake just because of its size if it was just an appearance issue. In my case, its that I can't handle the snake until it gets bigger. I was worried that would be unfair to the snake , going that long unhandled. That's why I thought it might be better for the snake to find it a new home.
It seems that might not be an issue though, that she should be ok left alone other than feeding/cleaning/water changes.
Now, the tricky part, the feeding, I've had her almost two weeks, she hasn't eaten yet.
I gave her a week to settle in, offered her food, she refused it. Waited another 5 days, same thing :\
Old 03-04-14, 07:45 PM   #45
poomwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Go read the boi thread again.
what do you hope they will discover by reading it again. please elaborate.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread