border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you manage to keep snakes?
In secret, my landlord would throw me out if they knew! 5 10.20%
I own my own home, so it's no problem. 21 42.86%
I live with parents and they are fine with it. 14 28.57%
I live with parents and they don't know about it or I'd be in big trouble! 1 2.04%
I have a reptile store, I keep my pets in the store. 0 0%
I have a very understanding landlord who allows me to keep snakes in my rented apartment. 6 12.24%
I do not keep snakes because I am not allowed. 0 0%
Other (please explain) 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-14, 04:30 PM   #16
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Re: Do you keep snakes in secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IW17 View Post
I think that's the case most of the time. Most places specify no dogs/cats. But even the ones that say no pets, once you explain to them that it's a snake, lizard, fish, etc, that won't destroy property, leave a permanent smell, or attack the maintenance man, they don't care.
Fish tanks are often a no no.
Old 02-20-14, 05:53 PM   #17
wareagleA5

When I was younger I wasn't allowed to have any pets that ate other animals, but I used to sneak speckled king snakes into a cage every now and then.
Old 02-20-14, 06:03 PM   #18
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagleA5 View Post
When I was younger I wasn't allowed to have any pets that ate other animals, but I used to sneak speckled king snakes into a cage every now and then.
Even cats and dogs?
Old 02-20-14, 07:08 PM   #19
revent

So when I got my first snake we asked the landlord if it was okay and they were like sure no problem. However since that time the place has sold to a new landlord and they have said no reptiles! Nothing was ever written down as proof that i got permission to keep them so there are no records of the snakes and I have not bothered to discuss the matter with the new landlords due to the fact that we plan to move when our lease is up this time anyways. Even if they did catch us and evicted us i wouldn't be too butt hurt about it since I have been saving up money and am prepared to move at any time.
Old 02-20-14, 07:09 PM   #20
Kera

Send a message via Skype™ to Kera

I live with my dad (I'm only almost 16:P) and my dad loves snakes. He would honestly let me have as many as I could house, care for and pay for. My mom hated snakes and if she still lived with us it would never fly. When we had to put Kera down she held her just for me though. Otherwise she hates being even in the same house! I'm lucky I have an awesome dad.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-20-14, 07:36 PM   #21
wareagleA5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
Even cats and dogs?
Nothing that ate live animals lol, I used to feed the king snakes with anoles. I stopped catching them when I had one that laid eggs and I felt guilty that I didn't have an incubator to hatch them.
Old 02-20-14, 07:54 PM   #22
IW17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Fish tanks are often a no no.
They could be. The only thing I've ever come across was a limit on size. I don't blame them for that though. What a nightmare if some yahoo smash his couple hundred gallon tank lol.
Old 02-20-14, 09:51 PM   #23
guyabano

I started keeping snakes when I was maybe 12 or 13. This may come as a shock to some, but I started with retics as my first specimens. They were all wild caught (i live in a country that retics are native to) and I kept them in the back of my grandma's house. She was TERRIFIED of snakes, so nobody knew. . . for about a week. Then she threatened to have our carpenter pour boiling water on the poor thing and made me get rid of it.

I told her I sold it and bought a pair of budgies, but in reality, I bought two budgies and moved the snake under my bed. That worked till I was about 16 and I had to sell them all due to increasing school duties.

I am independent right now and I can have as many damn snakes as I want. I only keep two though.
Old 02-20-14, 10:06 PM   #24
wildlifeangel

I bought my spotted python for my own birthday present. My husband and I live with my mother. Both the hubby and the mom would freak of they knew. I'm hoping to keep her a secret for a couple months until he is comfortable with the idea. I also have 4 cages of geckos, so one ten gallon setup does not look conspicuous among the rest.
Old 02-21-14, 12:01 AM   #25
aRepDysfunction

I live in a high rise that doesnt care about pets, so they dont expressly know what i have in here, and i think they'd rather prefer it that way. Funny thing is, because of the permissive attitude to it, (and the inclusive hydro) there are multiple breeders in my complex, sometimes i get to go shopping without even leaving the building. There is even a rat breeder in the next building over!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-21-14, 05:46 AM   #26
Starbuck

My landlords know about my snakes, but when I was looking for a place down here and was asking about whether they allowed them I got some interesting answers. While some just flat out refused on the grounds of it being a snakes, a surprising number said it 'wasn't the snake, It was what the snake ate'... they didnt want to risk a rodent infestation I giess, and wouldnt change their answer even after I explained that all my animals eat frozen/thawed, refilled rodents :-/
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 02-21-14, 11:03 AM   #27
Snakefood
mamma bear

my landlords know I have "caged animals" I did not specify, they did not ask. They want us to buy the house we are in so they probably wouldn't care, but we have no intention of buying it, we just haven't told them that.

We actually may be moving soon to a new rental. We found a 3 floor, 5 bedroom place coming up for rent in our neighborhood for $28/month more than we are paying for our 1 floor 2 bedroom right now!! This place allows any pets with a pet damage deposit, so I may actually get my snake room!!
Old 02-21-14, 11:28 AM   #28
Lickeypie

I pay a deposit for my animals (including my cat), but fish tanks are prohibited. I never asked why. My landlord took a lot of interest in my beardie- he seemed to like him!
Closed Thread