border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-13, 07:24 PM   #1
victoriass

Red face help!!!

Hi there. I'm new so I didn't know where to post this but.. I have a female cornsnake about five years old. She used to be so sweet and chill. I've never seen her shed like this but I guess she went into blue for a while then she had her shed and ever since she hasn't been the same. She WONT let me touch her, hold her or even give her fresh water. She either runs to the side of the tank or trys to bite me. I'm not sure what to do. Shes not pregnant. Oh amd she's been doing this wierd thing she rubs her face on her own body really hard
Login to remove ads
Old 07-04-13, 06:04 AM   #2
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Re: help!!!

If you provide us with full details of how she is kept, viv size, temps humidity type of substrate etc it will be much easier to advise
Old 07-04-13, 06:06 AM   #3
Concept9

Did her shed come completely off, her eye caps may be stuck. The rubbing may be her trying get some shed off. The aggression may be caused not being able to see if her eye caps are stuck ?

Just a guess without seeing any pictures.

Can you post some pictures ?
Old 07-04-13, 07:07 AM   #4
victoriass

I will post some pictures. Her tank is 55 gal. I keep one side about 85 degrees and the other is cooler humidity probably 50%. And the substrate is aspen bedding. As far as I see her shed came off well.
Old 07-04-13, 08:41 AM   #5
Chu'Wuti

Stuck eyecaps would be my guess, too. As MBK Boy suggested, pics, especially close-ups of her head and eyes, could be very helpful. We'll need the details of her husbandry as LankyRob requested, too.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-04-13, 10:59 AM   #6
Amadeus
Banned

Yeah many snakes get pretty pissy when they have shed issues. Give it a good spray and let it do its own thing for a few days. Don't try and help it.
Old 07-04-13, 11:06 AM   #7
victoriass

I checked her face as much as I can and I there is no skin or anything. I did notice this morning though her face was swollen and almost like black on the sides I didn't have time to take a pic I had work.
Old 07-04-13, 11:08 AM   #8
Amadeus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriass View Post
I checked her face as much as I can and I there is no skin or anything. I did notice this morning though her face was swollen and almost like black on the sides I didn't have time to take a pic I had work.
It could be a mouth infection.

When you get some time it would help us out if you got a picture.
Old 07-04-13, 07:53 PM   #9
Chu'Wuti

Swollen face/head? Not a good sign. I would take her to a vet, preferably a herp-certified vet, IMMEDIATELY.
Old 07-04-13, 07:59 PM   #10
smy_749

Quote:
You didn't have time to take a picture? Where do you work.....and how slow is your camera? Last time I checked it takes about 30 seconds to take a few pictures.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-04-13, 08:09 PM   #11
Chu'Wuti

Quote:
This is really not a good sign at all. If you had given us this information earlier, I would have said, "Get her to the vet NOW!" much earlier. As it is, you really need to get her to a vet first thing in the morning if at all possible.

Quote:
Infectious Stomatitis (Mouth Rot) is an infection of the oral cavity; it is seen as pinpoint hemorrhages on the gums or an excessive amount of thick mucus, possibly containing blood, or pus (resembling cottage cheese), in the mouth and at the inside edge of the "lips". In severe cases, the snake will have a severely swollen mouth and will exhibit open-mouth breathing. Affected snakes are often anorexic (off food). This problem is often not a primary disease but is usually secondary to an injury to the mouth or husbandry issues such as poor nutrition, improper environmental temperatures, or overcrowding.

Both internal parasites (various worms and coccidia) and external parasites (ticks and mites) are common in pet snakes. They often cause no clinical signs and are detected on an annual physical examination and fecal tests. They may, however, cause diarrhea, breathing difficulties, regurgitation, swelling of internal organs, itching, irritation, skin infections, anemia, mouth rot (mites can transmit the bacteria that cause mouth rot,) or weight loss.
Source: Pet Snakes | Common Diseases in Snakes, Signs and Treatments | VCA Animal Hospitals

Possible alternative treatment IF the snake isn't too far into the mouth rot (But you really, really need to take her to a vet FIRST to be sure--trying to treat her yourself could simply delay but not prevent an inevitable death):

Quote:
MEDICATIONS: Products such as hydrogen peroxide, and mouthwash, have been recommended for stomatitis. The problem is that these products are cytotoxic. At full strength they destroy the good tissue along with the bad. What is called for is a product that has antibacterial properties but is gentle on healthy tissue. Vets use Novasolon (chlorhexidine diacetate) and Betadine (providone Iodine). Novasolon is available by mail order from animal suppliers and from feed and grain stores. It's great to have on hand as a disinfectant, but the stuff is expensive ($36/gal or about $10/qt), but you dilute it in water. Betadine is available at drug, grocery, and many pet stores. It is also great to have on hand as an antibacterial agent for cuts and scratches.
TREATMENT: Quarantine the snake! Mouth rot (stomatitis) is highly contagious. Raise the temperature of the enclosure (see below). If there is a scab-like crust over the gums, it should be wiped away, using a Q-tip with 1/3 strength hydrogen peroxide (2 parts water : 1 part peroxide). Swab the affected area inside of the snakes mouth, roof & gums with a 1% solution of Nolvasan or full strength (10% solution) of betadine. The swabbing may result in the mouth bleeding, depending upon how advanced the infection is. This can be followed by coating the inside of the mouth with fresh aloe from the leaf of a live aloe plant. Not only does the aloe soothe, it seals in the Nolvasan/Betadine. Hopefully this helps to keep the Nolvasan/Betadine in the affected area of the mouth and decreases the amount of iodine that gets inadvertanly swallowed. The aloe can be safely injested by the snake. For slightly more advanced mouthrot (showing bleeding or enlarged, red blood vessels along the gumline), applying 1/3 strength hydrogen peroxide before applying the Nolvasan or Betadine opens the blood vessels and allows deeper penetration of the Nolvasan/Betadine. Discontinue use of the diluted peroxide or mouthwash if open bleeding occurs. Mild cases warrant daily care. Cases with dried puss warrant twice-daily care. If the condition does not improve within a week, consult your veterinarian for systemic antibiotic treatment. Wash your hands thoroughly in soap and water, followed by Betadine or Nolvasan before handling any other snakes or continuing your daily activities.
HEAT: For this condition stomatitis (mouth rot) it is widely suggested that you raise the temps in your enclosure to the upper 80s, immediately. This is to give the snake's immune system a boost. The temperature should remain elevated day & night, 24x7. My observations indicate that my snakes seem quite content to be literally *bathing* in the heat. If the snake doesn't show signs of improvement within a week, see your veterinarian.
NOTES ON MEDS: Nolvasan may also be purchased as the generic chlorhexidine, from the internet for about $10 less than the brand name. You can also find the generic equivalent of Betadine (Povidone Iodine), at most drugstores and pet stores.
Posted by infernalis on Mouth infection on baby snake!!

I wish you luck.
Old 07-05-13, 12:10 AM   #12
victoriass

I took her to a vet. She pretty much said nothings wrong with her which I know is totally bull. I was actually already a couple mins late trying to mess with her so I had to go to work. and that comment was really rude. I'm taking her to an out of town vet in three days. Shes not dark on her face anymore. Thats about the only good news.
Old 07-05-13, 12:11 AM   #13
victoriass

I can't figure out how to post the pictures I took..
Old 07-05-13, 01:16 AM   #14
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
Under the text area, there is a section called 'additional options'. click 'Manage Attachments', choose the file you'd like to upload, and click 'upload'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (23.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled 2.jpg (22.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-05-13, 06:25 AM   #15
Amadeus
Banned

Quote:
OR use an image hosting website like Photobucket and simply copy and paste the image code.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
#snake #help