border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-13, 07:51 AM   #1
smy_749

Husbandry emergency, dying animal :-/

The construction worker at my dads new place ripped down a birds nest, and left all the babies on the ground in the grass last night. This morning my sister told me so I got up and drove to my dads, 2 were dead and I grabbed the third one. Hes in a polystyrene container with low heat and my t-shirt as a nest and I gave him some very small mealworms. Didn't have time to research as the poor thing was on the brink anyways, had been out for almost 15 hours in the cold grass. figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Anyone think I can save him? What do I need to do? He still hasn't opened his eyes or have any feathers, but he took a bunch of tiny mealworms, and I also crushed a few up and gave him the 'juices' with a eye dropper.

Help would be appreciated.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-04-13, 08:02 AM   #2
smy_749

Re: Husbandry emergency, dying animal :-/

Is it illegal to keep him in my house? Didn't even cross my mind....if it is, than what am I supposed to do with em :S
Old 07-04-13, 08:03 AM   #3
Concept9

I am no bird expert, but growing up I rescued a few birds for similar reasons and exactly what you are doing.

I kept them warm and secure, I had to dig up earth worms though. I cleaned them and cut them into small chunks a fed the bird.

Most lived.

Good luck Smy.
Old 07-04-13, 08:08 AM   #4
Chu'Wuti

First, you need to try to identify the species. If it's an insectivore, it MUST have insects for food or its bones will not develop properly. If it's not an insectivore, worms would be fine. But feeding worms to an insectivore just doesn't work in the long run. I'm glad you started with mealworms, though it can't be fed only mealworms all the time as they're too high in fat.

Was there any evidence at the nest to suggest what species this bird might be?

One of the real problems here is that it is very easy to confuse sparrows and wrens, but they need to be fed differently for long-term health and survival.

You might try to find a local wildlife rescue group or rehabber. They could be very helpful in helping you ID the baby and in suggesting what to feed it.

Good luck! I'm glad you're willing to try!
Old 07-04-13, 08:12 AM   #5
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu'Wuti View Post
First, you need to try to identify the species. If it's an insectivore, it MUST have insects for food or its bones will not develop properly. If it's not an insectivore, worms would be fine. But feeding worms to an insectivore just doesn't work in the long run. I'm glad you started with mealworms, though it can't be fed only mealworms all the time as they're too high in fat.

One of the real problems here is that it is very easy to confuse sparrows and wrens, but they need to be fed differently for long-term health and survival.

You might try to find a local wildlife rescue group or rehabber. They could be very helpful in helping you ID the baby and in suggesting what to feed it.

I can't tell, the nest was completely destroyed. I have no idea what type of bird it is :/ I'll check wild life rescues in the area, will they even rescue a normal local bird species? I read that I can feed him the yolk of boiled eggs as well ?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-04-13, 08:14 AM   #6
Concept9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu'Wuti View Post

Very good point here.

I never though of this because the ones I rescued where Robins.
Old 07-04-13, 08:16 AM   #7
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Pics. Always pics if you can. Good luck with it. Hope it flys away someday
Old 07-04-13, 08:16 AM   #8
smy_749

Looks exactly like this, maybe every hatchling does but I'm an idiot with birds, but thats how he looks 100%
Old 07-04-13, 08:29 AM   #9
Chu'Wuti

Yes, every hatchling looks pretty much like that. There are variations on the beak shape & appearance, but that's a typical baby bird body with no feathers. Poor little guy!

And that's the real challenge. It can be almost impossible to differentiate between baby wrens and baby sparrows, but they need different diets. I'm attaching a few links that might help, but in this type of situation, there are no guarantees, unfortunately.

How to raise a baby sparrow

Carolina Wren — Nestwatcher's Resource Center

Caring for Baby Birds, diet, feeding, finding a baby bird, what to do

Good luck.
Old 07-04-13, 08:46 AM   #10
LadyWraith

Sucks you have no way of knowing the species. How big is it? You could probably rule out many species by the size but in my experience you're right that all hatchlings look alike. I've rescued a few different species but they've all been insectivores. I would just go turn over rocks and grab crickets, roly polies, etc... mash them up and voila. Keep it warm... would've been helpful to get part of the torn down nest. I don't know of any scientific data supporting this, but from personal experience, thee babies have seemed less stressed when I was able to reuse their nest. And it depends on your state law; a lot of them seem to have a lot of native animal laws.

- 1.0 Spider BP (Jax) - 0.1 SSTP (Nik)- 1.0 Salmon BCI (Malcolm)
Login to remove ads
Old 07-04-13, 08:51 AM   #11
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWraith View Post
Sucks you have no way of knowing the species. How big is it? You could probably rule out many species by the size but in my experience you're right that all hatchlings look alike. I've rescued a few different species but they've all been insectivores. I would just go turn over rocks and grab crickets, roly polies, etc... mash them up and voila. Keep it warm... would've been helpful to get part of the torn down nest. I don't know of any scientific data supporting this, but from personal experience, thee babies have seemed less stressed when I was able to reuse their nest. And it depends on your state law; a lot of them seem to have a lot of native animal laws.

There was no nest anymore, it was destroyed completely. When I went this morning back to my dads they were in a plastic container with some straw and what not. The other ones were dead and there were no eggs. What about cat food / mealworms / boiled egg yolk ? I read that on some random website. He did poop, and he stops chirping in between feeds, like hes sleeping or something. Hes got a heat mat on a thermostat set to 88 for right now as well.
Old 07-04-13, 09:00 AM   #12
LadyWraith

Oh I see. Yea can't really use the nest if it isn't there anymore. I've never personally tried any of those items for food sources. I just tried to mimic their natural foods and it worked for me. Instead of meal worms, perhaps like feeder roaches or crickets instead? That's assuming it's an insectivore of course. But those are closer to what it would find hanging out in the grass. Good luck to you... it's def harder not knowing the species. Sounds good on the heat.

- 1.0 Spider BP (Jax) - 0.1 SSTP (Nik)- 1.0 Salmon BCI (Malcolm)
Old 07-04-13, 09:15 AM   #13
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWraith View Post
Oh I see. Yea can't really use the nest if it isn't there anymore. I've never personally tried any of those items for food sources. I just tried to mimic their natural foods and it worked for me. Instead of meal worms, perhaps like feeder roaches or crickets instead? That's assuming it's an insectivore of course. But those are closer to what it would find hanging out in the grass. Good luck to you... it's def harder not knowing the species. Sounds good on the heat.
I don't have any feeder insect colonies atm, just a bunch of mealies. I have to go back to work for a few hours (I don't get it off since my dad is the owner haha) so I sent my sister home with all the food/ heat / temp gun and told her what to do. Was probably a bad idea since shes not animal savy and will cry her eyes out if he doesn't make it, but I can't bring him with me :/

Anyways, thanks guys, I'll update if he survives till tomorrow.
Old 07-04-13, 10:18 AM   #14
sweatshirt

^ I see you sent it with your sister, but tell her this.

I hand fed my baby lovebird when I was 13 and did extensive research before I did so, but I'm not experienced with wild baby birds... however being in the bird community for a while teaches you some things.

First of all, she'll need formula. Yes, baby birds need formula. There are plenty of different bird formulas (Lafeber is the best for WILD baby birds, Kaytee is good as well). Follow the instructions for heating! You don't want hot spots or overheating.

She'll also need a low CC syringe without the needle, you can usually get them free at the pharmacy at CVS (I used 5 at first, 10 last) OR an eye dropper, which may be better as hers is a baby baby.

Another thing, a food thermometer. The formula should be around 105-110 F.

What you were doing besides that is correct: Keep the baby in an aired container over a heat mat set at low over half the container, because like snakes they need to be able to move away if overheated.

Don't offer insects until the baby is older - For now the vital nutrition is needed from formula. The mother regurgitates in their mouth at this age.

Another thing: Birds have crops, not stomachs, but you probably know that. The crop should feel like a tightish balloon when the baby is full with formula. Also, make sure that you put the syringe into the beak on the left side, or your right side (I got that advice from a site).

I WOULD however, try to contact a wildlife rehabber. Here in Florida I've found baby rabbits, birds, squirrels, etc and they all go to the old lady who's an ex rehabber.

P.S. Regard all this if it's a dove They need "milk" (Google it). I can't tell what type it is.

Last edited by sweatshirt; 07-04-13 at 10:23 AM..
Old 07-04-13, 10:25 AM   #15
formica

as suggested a wildlife rescue service is more likley to be able to help, baby birds need food almost constantly, and the diet is very important - i fear its chances are pretty slim even in the hands of someone with allot of experience at this point, being so young
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread