border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-13, 08:04 PM   #16
boosh96

Re: Any suggestions on a new snake?

It would probably be a good idea to provide a 4 x 2' cage for an adult male. I wanna say they're supposed to average around 6 feet or so, but there's been plenty of individuals reaching 7 or 8 feet. I guess with that having been said, you may want to do some research on the dwarf varieties of BCI.
Old 05-14-13, 08:19 PM   #17
Zosime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosh96 View Post
It would probably be a good idea to provide a 4 x 2' cage for an adult male. I wanna say they're supposed to average around 6 feet or so, but there's been plenty of individuals reaching 7 or 8 feet. I guess with that having been said, you may want to do some research on the dwarf varieties of BCI.
Well i have this enclsoure i had for a boa before its 5 foot long like 1 foot wide. I just had to sell it because the enclsoure wasnt ready because the heat bulb had wire around it and the boa kept getting in it so if i like modifyed it how long would it be able to live in that size enclsoure
Old 05-14-13, 08:37 PM   #18
boosh96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosime View Post
Well i have this enclsoure i had for a boa before its 5 foot long like 1 foot wide. I just had to sell it because the enclsoure wasnt ready because the heat bulb had wire around it and the boa kept getting in it so if i like modifyed it how long would it be able to live in that size enclsoure
In an enclosure that's 5x1 feet, I'm kinda thinking you could house the snake in there until it hits 3 or maybe 4 feet. The general rule is 1 square foot per foot of snake, but I'd be a bit concerned about a 5-foot long boa being able to coil up and turn around comfortably in an enclosure that's just a foot wide. I'm just kinda guessing on that one-does anyone else think the same or otherwise?
Old 05-14-13, 09:59 PM   #19
bcr229

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosh96 View Post
In an enclosure that's 5x1 feet, I'm kinda thinking you could house the snake in there until it hits 3 or maybe 4 feet. The general rule is 1 square foot per foot of snake, but I'd be a bit concerned about a 5-foot long boa being able to coil up and turn around comfortably in an enclosure that's just a foot wide. I'm just kinda guessing on that one-does anyone else think the same or otherwise?
We have a female red tail that was 5' 8" last month when we measured her. We purchased her a few months ago and her former owner warned us that she loves to get wet. She spends quite a bit of time soaking in her warm water tub - a 12"x14" sterilite container that sits on one of two UTH's for the tank, which is 72"x18". In fact, she's coiled up in there now, completely covered with water except for her eyes and nostrils. Her warm side hide which sits on the other UTH has a smaller footprint and she fits in it with room to spare. So, I don't think a 5' boa would have any issues maneuvering comfortably in a 12" wide enclosure.

That said, if the OP wants a smaller snake a BCI or BCC probably won't do it for him as they can get long.
Old 05-14-13, 10:24 PM   #20
Zosime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
We have a female red tail that was 5' 8" last month when we measured her. We purchased her a few months ago and her former owner warned us that she loves to get wet. She spends quite a bit of time soaking in her warm water tub - a 12"x14" sterilite container that sits on one of two UTH's for the tank, which is 72"x18". In fact, she's coiled up in there now, completely covered with water except for her eyes and nostrils. Her warm side hide which sits on the other UTH has a smaller footprint and she fits in it with room to spare. So, I don't think a 5' boa would have any issues maneuvering comfortably in a 12" wide enclosure.

That said, if the OP wants a smaller snake a BCI or BCC probably won't do it for him as they can get long.
Awesome so i would be able to put one in there. And i can get a male Boa they dont get that big. Ill just have to see if i can move the enclsoure to the new house if not ill just make one.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-15-13, 11:21 AM   #21
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

Have you guys checked for mites? That is not normal behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosime View Post
Awesome so i would be able to put one in there. And i can get a male Boa they dont get that big. Ill just have to see if i can move the enclsoure to the new house if not ill just make one.
The problem is is that they get thick. My friend has one of my males and he is six feet long but almost as thick as a coffee mug.
Old 05-15-13, 12:32 PM   #22
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

1' wide. That would be horrible. My male is much thicker than a coffee mug and well over 6' . He is in a cheap but good 6x2x20" and it is perfect. He has room to move around and stretch out. I personaly like larger cages as I think it helps the snake to get exercise. It is also easier to get a good heat gradient.
Old 05-15-13, 12:32 PM   #23
bcr229

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Have you guys checked for mites? That is not normal behavior.
We have many times and we also treated her with Reptile Relief and her enclosure and substrate with PAM a few weeks ago just to be sure. No dead mites in the water either.

She's been a heavy bather from day one. The only time she'll forego a daily dip is for 2-3 days after eating, then she just stays in her warm hide to digest.

For the OP, if you want a male boa in a 5' enclosure look into a Brazilian Rainbow. They don't get quite as long or thick as the BCC's and BCI's and they're gorgeous. I wouldn't keep a full-grown BCC or BCI in a 5x1.

Last edited by bcr229; 05-15-13 at 12:37 PM..
Old 05-15-13, 12:53 PM   #24
Bloedig

I would vote for Carpets too. Love my little Irian Jaya and seems to be the perfect mix of size, temperament, ease of care, etc.

I also have both a Kenyan and Javelin Sand Boa and can tell you they are cool, but you rarely will see them. They burrow 99% of the time.
1.0 Striped Javelin Sand Boa - Fidi
Old 05-15-13, 03:08 PM   #25
Zosime
Banned

[QUOTE=The problem is is that they get thick. My friend has one of my males and he is six feet long but almost as thick as a coffee mug.[/QUOTE]
Ok so you think i should just make a 5ft long3ft wide 2 tall
Login to remove ads
Old 05-15-13, 08:43 PM   #26
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

That would be great.
Old 05-16-13, 08:45 AM   #27
Zosime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
That would be great.
Alright awesome.Should Their temps should be in the 80-90s? and humidity 60-70? or should i put a water bowl big enough for it to soak in?
Closed Thread