border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-13, 06:38 PM   #1
blindfireak40

Climate Controlled Terrarium

Hey guys! I've not been around for a while; I've been super extra busy with my senior year of college, which is stressful yet exciting.

Anyways, one of the many projects I'm strapped with this semester is a programmable, automated, climate-controlled terrarium! I figured I'd start this thread to show the progress of said terrarium (prototype version only right now!) . I'll have a few pictures in a little bit, and a video of the interface working.

For you techies out there, it's powered by Arduino
Login to remove ads
Old 04-25-13, 07:03 PM   #2
smy_749

Re: Climate Controlled Terrarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindfireak40 View Post
Hey guys! I've not been around for a while; I've been super extra busy with my senior year of college, which is stressful yet exciting.

Anyways, one of the many projects I'm strapped with this semester is a programmable, automated, climate-controlled terrarium! I figured I'd start this thread to show the progress of said terrarium (prototype version only right now!) . I'll have a few pictures in a little bit, and a video of the interface working.

For you techies out there, it's powered by Arduino
What variables does this control, only heat and humidity? Go into more detail about what an automated climate controlled terrarium does for those who aren't so tech savvy. Set it and forget it? haha
Old 04-25-13, 07:24 PM   #3
blindfireak40

It will control temperature and humidity, and be capable of adjusting either up or down to match setpoints. Currently provides for Hot Spot, cool side, and ambient air temperature control, as well as ambient humidity control.

And yes, it is set it and forget it! The video I'll link to shortly demonstrates the current interface (first run-through, so it'll get better). The duration of the video is approximately how long you'll have to work to set the system indefinitely. After that, you just need to top up the water for the misting system.

PICTURES! Please note that this is, at this point, proof of concept. I would not dream of putting an animal in this thing as it is built, but I would certainly like to make a much better one (in terms of construction quality) for the future.

Front View (back isn't in yet )

Side view showing Fan for ventilation (dessication and temperature control)

Water Pump and spray nozzle for misting system

Video to follow.
Old 04-25-13, 07:27 PM   #4
smy_749

Which brings me to my next point, once you do build a finished product, what do you plan to put in it first ;P
Old 04-25-13, 07:44 PM   #5
blindfireak40

Here is the video, as promised. Please forgive the vertical phone recording and the various vocal flub-ups. Enjoy!

Also, just as an additional disclaimer: I don't own Savs, and I haven't done any copious research, so DO NOT TAKE THE TEMPERATURE VALUES IN THIS VIDEO AS ACCURATE OR HEALTHY FOR SAVANNAH MONITORS (BOSC MONITORS). I used Savs as an example for the temperatures because they gave me reason to adjust the temperature into triple digits.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-25-13, 07:46 PM   #6
blindfireak40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
Which brings me to my next point, once you do build a finished product, what do you plan to put in it first ;P
I've toyed with the idea of a Rhaco (Crestie, Gargoyle, etc) colony of some description. Failing that, maybe a smaller arboreal snake? This system is HIGHLY adaptable to any terrarium shape, so I might finally build a 4x2x2 for the Carpet I've been wanting for years
Old 04-25-13, 07:51 PM   #7
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindfireak40 View Post
I've toyed with the idea of a Rhaco (Crestie, Gargoyle, etc) colony of some description. Failing that, maybe a smaller arboreal snake? This system is HIGHLY adaptable to any terrarium shape, so I might finally build a 4x2x2 for the Carpet I've been wanting for years
Do something that records greater temp gradients than the cresties/gargs/leachies. If they can live with the entire enclosure basically the same temperature, youre new device won't be working to its full potential. Get a lizard or something that can utilize different basking spots at diff temps, make it more of a challenge :P
Old 04-25-13, 07:54 PM   #8
blindfireak40

Hahaha yeah, I'm thinking so, but I just LOVE the way that whole species complex looks and acts. We'll see.

I'm also thinking about taking the humidity control system to market. If I could expand it to cover 4 or 5 terrariums independently, I think there'd be a pretty good call for it.
Old 04-25-13, 10:10 PM   #9
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

You should send me a few to test for you....
Old 04-26-13, 05:12 AM   #10
smy_749

Oh right, me too. I won't charge you for my testing services...everything free of charge for a fellow forum member but I get to keep the cages.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-26-13, 08:44 AM   #11
blindfireak40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
You should send me a few to test for you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
Oh right, me too. I won't charge you for my testing services...everything free of charge for a fellow forum member but I get to keep the cages.
Haha riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...I'm sure you guys would LOVE that

We'll see how it goes. There's a lot of polishing that needs doing but I may well donate something as a contest prize....and of course if there's a beta test phase, I know where to come first!
Old 04-26-13, 08:52 AM   #12
pdomensis

So basically what you're designing is a plant growth chamber with a glass front. I've been looking at my growth chamber for years wishing I could convert it to a viv. Glad to see someone is giving it a try.
Old 04-26-13, 09:09 AM   #13
blindfireak40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdomensis View Post
So basically what you're designing is a plant growth chamber with a glass front. I've been looking at my growth chamber for years wishing I could convert it to a viv. Glad to see someone is giving it a try.
As it turns out, yes that's exactly it haha. Those things are pretty cool looking! I just looked up a bunch....the majority seem a little big for a viv though. And can you control individual climate zones within the chamber?
Old 04-26-13, 09:31 AM   #14
pdomensis

In a typical model you can program lights, day/night temps and humidity. They're supposed to be designed to provide uniform temps throughout the unit, but they're never that good. It might be a problem though to have a basking area and a cooler area, although I bet it's doable. I haven't used my temp gun in it to find out the temp range, but that's a good idea. You might be able to find some good equipment from a manufacturer to help your project along.
Old 04-26-13, 04:49 PM   #15
blindfireak40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdomensis View Post
You might be able to find some good equipment from a manufacturer to help your project along.
That is an excellent idea, and I think I might just use it! Thanks!!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread