sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-13, 02:28 PM   #61
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Re: Serious problem with Jennifer

I'm sorry but you don't seem qualified to tell how healthy your snake is.
Old 04-16-13, 02:32 PM   #62
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarissaREVV View Post
so for a 15 min consult it is 100$. at that price i want to see if she will get better on her own the issue could have been from having a bad set up for her and since she has already improved slightly i want to see if she will continue to improve before i spend 100$ just to be told give her time to recover from how she use to be kept.
I knew it.

Too cheap to get the proper help needed. You even state you got a cheap animal in bad health. Too cheap to buy from somewhere reputable who was charging $100 for a healthy animal and PROPER aftercare. Now you're going to just replace it with a new animal because to you it's just $30.

You're a joke.
Old 04-16-13, 03:05 PM   #63
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Yeah. It's a shame but there is a wide aspect of what people consider good care Dollar value over responsibility
Old 04-16-13, 03:14 PM   #64
MDT

Quote:
you are right 100$ is a lot to spend on a 30 pet store snake that i had already gotten in poor condition as is. i am hoping she gets better so i dont have to spend that type of money on her. but if push comes to shove and she doesnt keep improving then i will do something about it. as i said before i wouldnt spend that type of money on myself for medical care unless i was literally at deaths door step.

Maybe it's just not time to have a pet then...I'm not being a jerk about this. Just if you're not committed to all aspects of care, you prob should wait until you are. No judgment, just facts. This may turn out to not be a big deal. But what about the next one? It's never just a $30 pet store snake, or a "free" Wal Mart parking lot puppy. The cost is just beginning....

Best of luck.
Old 04-16-13, 03:22 PM   #65
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

As a responsible pet owner (I doubt you are...) it's your responsibility to give your pets the best care possible, they can't do anything on their own stuck in a box.

Getting a pet should imply that you you are prepared to take on the responsibility of caring for that animal... If you can't, give it to someone who can and stop taking risks with a life other then your own...
Old 04-16-13, 04:48 PM   #66
CarissaREVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I knew it.

Too cheap to get the proper help needed. You even state you got a cheap animal in bad health. Too cheap to buy from somewhere reputable who was charging $100 for a healthy animal and PROPER aftercare. Now you're going to just replace it with a new animal because to you it's just $30.

You're a joke.
I bought from a cheap pet store because I never knew about reptile expos or anything like that. This is the first snake I have ever owned. I do love my snake but fact of the matter is she isn't the only thing in this house that needs care. I am hoping she continues to improve but as I said why spend 100$ to be told that she needs time to get better from the conditions that she was in. I have been down this road with other pets and found th money wasted to be told wait for now then come back if they don't get better. And later down the line if I get another snake I know better then to go to a pet store I will get a better quality snake and take what I have learned from this situation and ensure that they get all the care they need because I don't want to make the same mistakes I made with Jennifer with a new snake.
Old 04-16-13, 05:05 PM   #67
CarissaREVV

If I get that far again.
Old 04-16-13, 05:41 PM   #68
LadyWraith

I hope your snake recovers from whatever issue this is. I, personally, would be "wasting" the $100 dollars for a consult if nothing more than for a diagnosis. Even if it is "nothing", you acquired education and tracking for the next time something comes up. When you have no diagnosis on something that experienced keepers say could be bad, you're setting yourself for possible future failures. Learn from their experience. And also, just a tip (not being crass)... when you ask for advice or opinions on a message board as such, MULTIPLE pictures from several different angles of all the maladies can really help everyone help you more efficiently. They are also almost always going to ask enclosure details likes temps, humidity, substrate, etc. All of this info seems intrusive but it's all in an effort to help.

- 1.0 Spider BP (Jax) - 0.1 SSTP (Nik)- 1.0 Salmon BCI (Malcolm)
Old 04-16-13, 05:59 PM   #69
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Personally I think you would be better to crush her head. You are reluctant to get her the help she needs and she has a slew of problems, this gash is just one of them. You obviously have other priorities and this is low on the pole. Stop making her suffer and just put her out of her misery. She has suffered long enough.
Old 04-16-13, 06:03 PM   #70
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
I bought from a cheap pet store because I never knew about reptile expos or anything like that. This is the first snake I have ever owned. I do love my snake but fact of the matter is she isn't the only thing in this house that needs care. I am hoping she continues to improve but as I said why spend 100$ to be told that she needs time to get better from the conditions that she was in. I have been down this road with other pets and found th money wasted to be told wait for now then come back if they don't get better. And later down the line if I get another snake I know better then to go to a pet store I will get a better quality snake and take what I have learned from this situation and ensure that they get all the care they need because I don't want to make the same mistakes I made with Jennifer with a new snake.

I guess the word "research" isn't in your vocabulary is it.

How do YOU know it'll be a simple "just wait it out and see" answer from a vet? You got this from the pet store or the random people on here who barely have owned a ball python longer than you?
Login to remove ads
Old 04-16-13, 06:05 PM   #71
mykee
Super Genius

Just toss the thing in your freezer.
It will take roughly a very painful hour or two for all the blood in its body to completely freeze.
IMO, that's a better death than the one you're providing currently.
Old 04-16-13, 06:09 PM   #72
Hannibalcanibal

Just take it to a vet.... it costs a lot of money? deal with it. you got the snake into this situation, now get it out.
Old 04-16-13, 06:14 PM   #73
Starbuck

Carissa, euthanasia may be your best option at this point, but it is up to you to decide if things have gotten to that point. You obviously cared enough about your snake to make a lot of beneficial changes over the last week or two, and i firmly believe that it is your decision to make r.e. euthanasia or waiting it out... But please keep your snakes welfare in mind. Suffering can be hard to detect in reptiles, but do understand that your snake is NOT in a very good place right now in regards to its health. Not having known the conditions it was kept in before you got it, it could have been a pre-existing condition that was exacerbated by sub standard care.

I think no one can fault you for the effort you put into making things right up until this point. While a vet visit would be ideal, i understand that not everyone has the money to spend.
I think you should seriously consider jennifer's quality of life, and in the mean time do everything you can to make sure Kyle has every chance to thrive.
Best of luck.
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 04-16-13, 06:16 PM   #74
valid

You posted here with a serious problem and expected any answer other than take it to the vet?

I can understand posting on the thread with small beginning stage of worry (I am guilty of posting such myself) If my snake where to develop the symptoms yours did, my first thought would be taking it to the vet - not posting here and asking, where you know the answer you are going to receive is take it to the vet anyway.

It is not in the beginning stage of anything- it obviously has some serious problems. It is past the point of 'waiting it out'
Old 04-16-13, 07:51 PM   #75
Trollbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
OP lives in the greater Washington DC metro area, which is why I sent her the info on the local herp vets. I lived in that area for 20 years. $100 for a consult is about right, it's one of the most expensive parts of the country to live in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarich View Post
Ya, that sounds about right. A consult is $90 here.
Ouch... But anyway, any amount of money spent on making sure my animals are okay is not wasted in my opinion. Even if they tell me that they'll heal on their own.
Closed Thread