border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-13, 11:58 PM   #1
wdissident

providing heat at night or not?

so i have a boa. i use a 75 watt day light bulb in the day and a night time bulb at night. i was thinking nowhere in the wild does it stay warm 24/7. so if i wanted to save a couple bucks could i only provide day time heat? or do most of you provide heat 24/7. i had to move his heat pad to one of my leopard gecko tanks because the male kept trying to do the deed with the female so now im only left with a day and night bulb for my snake. thanks again.

so do you guys provide heat at night or not?

i;ve heard to increase heat during digestion and to increase humidity during shed
Login to remove ads
Old 03-12-13, 03:57 AM   #2
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Re: providing heat at night or not?

Yes I provide heat 24/7. You need to give them a warm spot and a cool spot so that they can choose what they need. In the wild I am sure they know how to find the warmer locations vs the cooler ones.
Old 03-12-13, 04:13 AM   #3
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

I provide heat 24/7... It can't hurt to have it there when not needed but it "can" hurt if its needed and not available..
Old 03-12-13, 05:12 AM   #4
reptimama

I provide heat all the time. Even though they don't get heat 24/7 in the wild per say unless the snake was wild caught it would be use to captive conditions not wild ones.
Mama of: 0.1.1 BRB, 0.0.1 BP, 0.0.1 Fl. King Snake, 0.0.1 Jungle Carpet Python, 0.1 Bearded Dragon, 0.0.4 RES, 1.0 Rat, 0.1 mouse, 0.1 hamster, 0.1 Boxer/Rottie mix, 0.1 Blue Tick Coon Hound, 1.0 Dachshund, 1.0 Boxer, 3.2 cats, 30 gallon aquarium, 2.0 children, and last but not least 1.0 spouse
Old 03-12-13, 05:37 AM   #5
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

I also provide heat 24/7 to all my snakes.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-12-13, 06:14 AM   #6
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209

Snakes don't need the resting period like a lot of lizards do, heat is always good for them.
Old 03-12-13, 07:19 AM   #7
Chu'Wuti

Boas come from a tropical to subtropical climate where even at night it is fairly warm. I see you're in CA, but even San Diego is not staying warm enough at night for the good health of your boa. That's if you're keeping it outside. Inside, I assume you're maintaining what most of us would consider normal house temperatures of between 68-72 deg. F. Those temps are too cold for a boa ALL the time.

During the day, your ambient temps (throughout the enclosure) should be 82-90 F and at night, the low should never drop below about 78. For optimal health you should maintain 78-85 F in the enclosure even at night. Those are AMBIENT temps, NOT basking temp; your boa also needs a basking area with temps between 90 and 95.

I have no idea what temps you're maintaining because I don't know anything about the enclosure, the environment etc. that your 75W light bulb is trying to heat. I encourage you to get a digital thermometer; an indoor-outdoor thermometer with probe or a wireless outdoor sensor would be fairly inexpensive.

The second thing you need, unless your boa is already very large, is an under the tank heating pad (UTH) to provide the basking spot or a ceramic heat emitter to do the job.

One way or another, your boa needs higher temps than you're maintaining for overall health and specifically for digestion.
Old 03-12-13, 07:24 AM   #8
ilovemypets1988

Send a message via MSN to ilovemypets1988 Send a message via Yahoo to ilovemypets1988

most snakes kept in captivity these days need heat 24/7 and the only animal (that i can think of) that can have a heat cycle (i.e. heat during the day, all off at night) is lizards such as bearded dragons.
There are many things in life that we all take for granted, But the most important things that we affect are the animals and their habitats of this planet. If we can do something for these animals like give them a home and we can meet there basic needs then we are all heroes for making sure that the animals will still be there for future generations and should lead by example.
Old 03-12-13, 08:16 AM   #9
reptimama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemypets1988 View Post
most snakes kept in captivity these days need heat 24/7 and the only animal (that i can think of) that can have a heat cycle (i.e. heat during the day, all off at night) is lizards such as bearded dragons.
This is true for Beardies only if the night time temps don't drop below 62 degrees. If you live in very cold environments you'll still need to provide heat at night. I like using the heat coils for night time warming for all my reptiles because it provides heat but not light.
Mama of: 0.1.1 BRB, 0.0.1 BP, 0.0.1 Fl. King Snake, 0.0.1 Jungle Carpet Python, 0.1 Bearded Dragon, 0.0.4 RES, 1.0 Rat, 0.1 mouse, 0.1 hamster, 0.1 Boxer/Rottie mix, 0.1 Blue Tick Coon Hound, 1.0 Dachshund, 1.0 Boxer, 3.2 cats, 30 gallon aquarium, 2.0 children, and last but not least 1.0 spouse
Old 03-12-13, 08:20 AM   #10
ilovemypets1988

Send a message via MSN to ilovemypets1988 Send a message via Yahoo to ilovemypets1988

ah ok, i thought several lizards can do it, so i stand corrected, although, ill admit, if you want an animal that wont use much electric, id suggest getting a crested gecko as they can go without additional heat at normally stay at room temps, although this is what ive read and have been told by people who have them, but ill also accept that this also depends on your room temps.

there are other animals aswell such as tarantulas and scorpions (although some will need heat i think)
There are many things in life that we all take for granted, But the most important things that we affect are the animals and their habitats of this planet. If we can do something for these animals like give them a home and we can meet there basic needs then we are all heroes for making sure that the animals will still be there for future generations and should lead by example.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-12-13, 08:38 AM   #11
poison123

Sealing your enclosure is a good way of keeping heat in your enclosure through out the night.
Old 03-12-13, 12:04 PM   #12
Mark Taylor

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark Taylor

I also keep my temps up 24/7