border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-13, 03:39 PM   #1
MDT

"Rescued" Carpet, horrible shed situation

So, I had a neighbor give me his son's carpet python because they are preparing to put their house on the market, and can't have a snake in the house...(ok, I guess)...he tells me it's had some trouble shedding recently. I'm thinking, he prob has some stuck patches, I'll soak it off of him. Wrong...this poor thing prob has the last several sheds in place. I placed him in a container with a wet warm towel for a couple of hours and was able to remove the eye caps and some of the skin, but it is terrible. I am seriously wondering if this snake should be euthanized. I am keeping his humidity up in the 70% range and he has a deep dish to soak in. I am working on getting some of the "stacked" areas off, but basically his whole body is this way and I'm not making much progress.

Any input in this situation is appreciated, I'm not sure he is going to do well...
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-13, 03:47 PM   #2
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Re: "Rescued" Carpet, horrible shed situation

its really good you got the eye caps off

could you post some pictures mate

it will give us an idea of what your dealing with

cheers shaun

p.s.ive heard people using KY Jelly to remove retained shed,it's water based so should give the snake no issues,Viscotears is great for retained eye caps,so i'm thinking it may help as well
Old 01-27-13, 04:16 PM   #3
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

I bet that if you got the eye caps off you can get the rest off.
I would look at the tail next. From his vent to tail tip. Work that off and the rest will come for sure. Please post pics asap. Come on everyone lets save this one. Been so many lost in the last few weeks and I would hate to see another. Just be sure not to use anything like mineral oil or cooking oil. Water based stuff only. Good luck. Pics pics pics
Old 01-27-13, 09:02 PM   #4
MDT

Ok, just got home...here are some pics i took as i was removing eye caps...you'll see one view still with a cloudy eye. anyway, as i said, he looks horrible. i've been trying to get as much off as i can w/ soaking and forceps, but it's not going well. his lower lip is drawn back and i can't loosen that skin. now that you've seen it, let me hear your suggestions. i'm really upset they'd let it get to this stage, but now i just want to help it.....

Old 01-27-13, 09:50 PM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Two options depending on it's size.

1. Soak a large pillowcase in warm water. Place snake in it. Tie a knot. Place it in the enclosure in the middle to stay relatively warm. Come back in 20 minutes and see it's progress on it's own. Repeat the process if the pillowcase is too cold and the skin hasn't come off much.

2. If the snake is too big for said pillowcase, soak hand clothes in warm water. Have snake move through your hands with a firm grip. It should assist.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-13, 10:02 PM   #6
89Bronco

Good luck man. Poor guy. Hope it all works out. I am sure you can help him out. Follow what these guys have said. He should be alright.

Ken
Old 01-27-13, 10:11 PM   #7
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Two options depending on it's size.

1. Soak a large pillowcase in warm water. Place snake in it. Tie a knot. Place it in the enclosure in the middle to stay relatively warm. Come back in 20 minutes and see it's progress on it's own. Repeat the process if the pillowcase is too cold and the skin hasn't come off much.

2. If the snake is too big for said pillowcase, soak hand clothes in warm water. Have snake move through your hands with a firm grip. It should assist.
aaron...i'll try the pillow case, but i've kinda done that with a heavy bath towel, hoping he'd crawl around the heavy warm soaked towel assisting in shedding. no dice yet. i've actually done this more than once. I'll try the pillow case and if no go i'll try the dish towel thing.

this is amazing as i've never seen a retained shed this bad before.

thanks guys
Old 01-27-13, 10:13 PM   #8
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Also feed this guy soaking wet rats. Get him hydrated. I bet he will be ok with some tlc.
Old 01-27-13, 10:14 PM   #9
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Well the good news is that it looks healthy and has a good weight it seems.

I hope it closes it's mouth though as that could be a sign of mouth rot or a RI. That's my opinion ONLY on the pics of it's mouth not being entirely closed so please correct me if I'm just mistaken by the photos.
Old 01-27-13, 10:22 PM   #10
moshirimon

mouth could be rubbing damage from trying to get shed off?

hope he does better. with time this should work out. cant wait to see his colors and patterns underneath

good luck!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-13, 10:23 PM   #11
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Well the good news is that it looks healthy and has a good weight it seems.

I hope it closes it's mouth though as that could be a sign of mouth rot or a RI. That's my opinion ONLY on the pics of it's mouth not being entirely closed so please correct me if I'm just mistaken by the photos.
that was my first thought when i saw the mouth drawn open like that was RI. i have checked trachea and no secretions noted when i open its mouth or wheezing noted, gums are pinkish and healthy looking (teeth very sharp ), so i feel ok about it being in decent health.

the down side, i don't know if exposed gum tissue increases the possibility of infection, so i'm watching it closely.
Old 01-28-13, 08:29 AM   #12
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

poor guy looks rough,but saveable mate

i would run a warm bath,the same temp as the snakes body,i use a lazer temp gun to check the water and snakes body temps

i would then give him 10 to 20 minutes in the bath,while in the bath i would peel the retained shed off with my finger nails,just like you peel off a piece of sellatape

keep an eye on the scales as you do it

then i'd dry him by letting him go through a rough bath towel

imo the above will get of most,if not all of the retained shed

cheers shaun
Old 01-28-13, 10:15 AM   #13
MDT

Update...working pretty feverishly to get this skin off. Many thanks to all who have given suggestions. The skin I pulled off the back near the head was amazingly thick. I can't imagine how many cycles this snake has missed.

Here are some pics of the progress:

Here seems to be his underlying pattern!

Old 01-28-13, 10:20 AM   #14
dinosaurdammit

Send a message via Skype™ to dinosaurdammit

hey lookin good! every time you get some off soak him goooooood, it will get down in there and hopefully get that stuff off. Have you thought about shed ease? Have you checked his nose for them being clogged? With that retained shed its quite likely hes got some in his nose. Poor thing. I hope you dont give him back
Old 01-28-13, 10:22 AM   #15
MDT

Pulling the skin off the head, I was able to get the nose cleared. Yeah, I think I'm gonna suggest I hang on to him.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread