Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-13, 03:01 PM   #31
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Re: What Type Of Carpet Python?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Bronco View Post
Thanks so much for the correction! That does make sense. So I should feed them in the cage then? Will he stop doing the cage aggression thing? The female is just awesomely tame in and out of the cage.
The thing to remember is they are reptiles not mammals, they will never be "tame" or "trained", however some snakes will come to tolerate handling and being taken from their vivs with no issue. Some however will always be either defensive just in the viv or just ornery buggers that will bite for fun
Old 01-24-13, 04:29 PM   #32
89Bronco

Here he is on his stick getting some heat.

Old 01-25-13, 10:38 AM   #33
89Bronco

Ok guys I found two mites on the male. Any good suggestions on the best product to help with mites? I could not find any on the female. I am going to treat them both. I just bought all new floor bedding. Do I have to throw this away? Any advice would be great! Thanks

Ken
Old 01-25-13, 11:41 AM   #34
Lankyrob

If yu found two then you probably have hundreds e good news is its easy to treat. Rather than dredging up old info here do a quick search mites and you will find loads of threads discussing treatment options
Old 01-25-13, 12:29 PM   #35
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

PROVENT A MITE imo is the BEST mite treatment out there

it remains active for 30 days,no need for repeat treatments,like other products require

its also great for quarantine tanks

its the only mite product i use

he's a really good looking Carpet,you could try KY Jelly on the retained shed,if you can't find Viscotears,both are water based lubricants,so will not harm the snake

cheers shaun
Old 01-25-13, 12:53 PM   #36
89Bronco

How about using Nix? I have been reading alot about it and its sounds like it works the best. Once its diluted of course. Have any of you guys used this? Thanks for the advice guys!!!

Ken
Old 01-25-13, 03:43 PM   #37
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

sorry i can't tell you anything about nix,as the only treatment ive ever had to use is...

provent a mite always works first time everytime,for me and everyone ive spoke to mate

also i like it because you do NOT put chemicals directly on the snake

simply put the snakes and water bowl in a seperate room...

then take out and spray the tanks contents

spray the tanks

wait 2 hours for the fumes to disapate...

then put the snakes back in,wash the water bowl with hot soapy water,and put back in the tank

job done mites dead

i'm NOT a fan of putting any chemicals on my snakes

cheers shaun
Old 01-25-13, 04:37 PM   #38
89Bronco

Ok sounds good to me Shaun. I will go with that. Thanks. It will have to wait until a week from Tuesday when I get paid. Is that going to be okay or does it have to be treated now? Thanks again!
Old 01-25-13, 06:20 PM   #39
Lankyrob

Quote:
Ok sounds good to me Shaun. I will go with that. Thanks. It will have to wait until a week from Tuesday when I get paid. Is that going to be okay or does it have to be treated now? Thanks again!
The longer you wait the worst your infestation will be and the more chance of the snake getting ill and stressed out by the mites.
Old 01-25-13, 09:45 PM   #40
89Bronco

Ok I will try to get them treated as soon as I can. Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-26-13, 07:55 AM   #41
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
another week won't make much difference mate

once you hit them with provent a mite,they will all be dead

cheers shaun
Old 01-28-13, 07:52 PM   #42
89Bronco

Look what I found on our local forum! Here is what he said. "1.0 Male Carpet python (white in color, likely some diamond/coastal/jungle mutt) but a very good looking snake. Eats smaller medium sized frozen rats without color preference. Attitude is a little fiesty in the cage but has been handled by me since he was 14-16". Purchased originally from off the ark and comes with his 4x16x16 cage. 150$ (cage is melamine and homemade with locking front. 6x6 tiles routed out for belly heat which is not included)
0.1 Carpet python (much more yellow, pattern is very clean) 5' female eating frozen thawed medium rats. Puppy dog tame snake and comes with 29g sliding top tank and all accessories including heat lamp. Will need bigger cage once set up. 150$"
Here is the link. I am not sure if it will ask you to register or not. Log in These are the snakes I just got. Pretty cool! I paid $140 for both of them. The male is great now in the cage by the way! He is actually more relaxed now than the female. Very sweet! Lets me reach right in there and pick him up. No problems. I am very happy with them! They both are awesome when it comes to handling (in) and out of there cage.
Old 02-04-13, 04:31 PM   #43
89Bronco

Ok guys. The PAM just got here! I have one concern though. When I spray the cage down with the PAM. After it has dried thoroughly. If I mist down the cage with water. Would that turn the chemical back into liquid form thus the snake absorbing some through the skin? Or once it has dried its then safe to bring the moisture back up. Thanks

Ken
Old 02-04-13, 05:04 PM   #44
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Ok guys. The PAM just got here! I have one concern though. When I spray the cage down with the PAM. After it has dried thoroughly. If I mist down the cage with water. Would that turn the chemical back into liquid form thus the snake absorbing some through the skin? Or once it has dried its then safe to bring the moisture back up. Thanks

Ken
unless you live somewhere with very low humidity,then you won't need to mist your carpets mate

over in the uk carpets shed at room humidity,which is anything from 45 to 90

what is the humidity when its at it's lowest ?

also provent a mites active for 30 days,so stopping misting for say 35 days,even in an area of low humidity,will not cause any real issues imo

cheers shaun
Old 02-04-13, 05:42 PM   #45
Ms. Medusa

Quote:

Ken

Ken,

My understanding with PAM has always been once its dry, it stays dry. I have used it on paper towels (dried thoroughly of course prior to placing in the enclosure) and was assured by the maker that even the towel getting wet would not pose a danger to the snake.

This is directly from the Pro-Products site:

Quote:
Provent-a-mite™ is more effective and less expensive to use than other products to eradicate or prevent an infestation, with up to 4 times less required per treatment and is the only product proven to provide long term residual protection. Unlike all other products that stop working when or soon after they dry, Provent-a-Mite™ will bond to any treated surface and remain effective for up to 30 days or longer, continuously killing any potentially disease carrying mites or ticks. Once dry, Provent-a-Mite™ will not wash off and can be misted, wiped or washed without eliminating the effectiveness.
Link Below:
Pro-Products | Provent-a-Mite

Hope this helsp!!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread