border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-12, 02:02 PM   #16
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55
Re: Should i cover my bps tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
See I get really defensive when I read posts like this. When I started keeping I didn't know there was an alternative to screentops and as a result I have many some have been given to me (for free) and some I bought myself. Though I agree that they aren't necessarily the "best" choice I dont think they're the demons of the enclosure world.
No need to get defensive. Until recently, I kept both my ball pythons in screen top tanks. I didn't know any better then either. Now that I know what's better, why not pass that information on to someone new? Now that mine are in boaphile cages, I don't have a single husbandry issue (whereas I used to struggle with humidity). Don't take my comments personally. I'm just handing out good, valid information.
Quote:
My Ball python, RTB, bullsnake, lizards, and GTP are ALL in screentops I won't lie I have had issues but nothing major and very far spaced between.
what are the sorts of issues you're struggling with? This is why I quickly and happily switched out of tanks and now barely (if ever) worry about husbandry. I just want others to be able to have the ease I have found in getting out of glass tank enclosures.

Quote:
To the OP use what you have to work with. If you're worried about warmth as long as the UTH is working and on a thermostat the snake will be warm. Saran covering 2/3 of the lid will help the humidity problem (provided there is one which I saw no evidence of in the initial post)
Fine advice.
Old 07-10-12, 02:04 PM   #17
TinkerbellsMom

Location: Houston. -if ur on my page feel free to add me & send me a PM!-
Send a message via AIM to TinkerbellsMom

She seems to like the cooler side better even kept at 75, she doesnt seem to be dying or unhealthy. I will up the temps to about 78-80 at night though if thats what would be better for her. The temps never did get below 75 though and this is the cooler side temp, the warmer side is at 85-90 at night.

Last edited by TinkerbellsMom; 07-10-12 at 02:09 PM..
Old 07-10-12, 02:13 PM   #18
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia55 View Post
what are the sorts of issues you're struggling with? This is why I quickly and happily switched out of tanks and now barely (if ever) worry about husbandry. I just want others to be able to have the ease I have found in getting out of glass tank enclosures.
I'm not struggling my animals eat, shed, and poop just fine thank you. I have HAD my issues when I first started keeping snakes. The latest issue I had was a result of my moving houses while my arboreal snakes were in shed which caused a ton of stress for them and me and resulted in retained sheds on both animals which have been resolved.

You can give whichever information you find useful, I can provide an alternative. We have to be respectful but that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with you, nor you with me.

Besides If I had to change the enclosure type I used it would be tubs or acrylic and when tanks need to be replaced due to wear and tear I will replace them with one or the other.
Old 07-10-12, 02:21 PM   #19
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

Quote:
I'm not struggling my animals eat, shed, and poop just fine thank you. I have HAD my issues when I first started keeping snakes. The latest issue I had was a result of my moving houses while my arboreal snakes were in shed which caused a ton of stress for them and me and resulted in retained sheds on both animals which have been resolved.
Hey there, I wasn't being offensive when I asked that! Glad everything is ok!!

Quote:
You can give whichever information you find useful, I can provide an alternative. We have to be respectful but that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with you, nor you with me.
Absolutely! I don't feel I was disrespectful; That wasn't my intention whatsoever (it never is). So if it came off that way to you, know that it was not what I meant.
Old 07-10-12, 02:22 PM   #20
StudentoReptile

Quote:
I'm not struggling my animals eat, shed, and poop just fine thank you. I have HAD my issues when I first started keeping snakes.
Fantastic. I think Alessia was just referring to your earlier statement here:

Quote:
My Ball python, RTB, bullsnake, lizards, and GTP are ALL in screentops I won't lie I have had issues but nothing major and very far spaced between.
I have to admit, without further clarification, you implied that said issues were related to using screentops. Just pointing that out. I'm sure that Alessia and myself were not the only ones who came to that conclusion.
Old 07-10-12, 02:38 PM   #21
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Ithis debate is one that ALWAYS comes up when someone asks a husbandry question and mentions screentops. Its just everyone voicing their opinions on the best enclosure type. Its really nothing specific to this situation.
But enclosure type is very much is specific to the situation of husbandry. Doesn't matter how much it's been debated, if anyone new to the hobby asked me for help with husbandry, I'd point them to radiant heat panels and PVC enclosures.
Old 07-10-12, 03:50 PM   #22
crazycorns

i keep both of my corns in glass with screen tops but they dont require so much humidity lol. they r doing fine and thriveing well
Old 07-10-12, 03:51 PM   #23
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Corns are fine in fish tanks.. Royals however need more. I also have my corn in a fish tank but all of my others are in custom cages.
Old 07-10-12, 03:54 PM   #24
crazycorns

oh i know i would never put a bp in a fish tank or any other snake that requires high humitiy. when i get my BRB im gonna keep it in a tub to start with than im gonna build it a proper encloser. i know if u need a lot of humidity u dont use a screen lid that will let it all escape
Old 07-10-12, 04:20 PM   #25
TinkerbellsMom

I live somewhere with very high humidity. Humidity is not an issue. Thank you for the concerns. And either way when shedding time comes i will put in a humid hide. An aquarium is perfectly fine for my bp. I've done the research. As long as humidity and temps are ok then i'm sure my bp will be too. Humidity does not get below 60%
Login to remove ads
Old 07-10-12, 05:16 PM   #26
crazycorns

u should b good then no worries.
Old 07-10-12, 05:29 PM   #27
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellsMom View Post
I live somewhere with very high humidity. Humidity is not an issue. Thank you for the concerns. And either way when shedding time comes i will put in a humid hide. An aquarium is perfectly fine for my bp. I've done the research. As long as humidity and temps are ok then i'm sure my bp will be too. Humidity does not get below 60%
yes- if the temps are where they need to be. and you can monitor the humidity (since you say they are fine) a fish tank is okay, like i said for 1 or so snakes... as long as they are eating, shedding, and pottying just fine, everything is good.
Old 07-10-12, 05:56 PM   #28
maximus30576

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellsMom View Post
You are correct ...
Old 07-10-12, 06:23 PM   #29
TinkerbellsMom

yes, just my one snake.
Old 07-10-12, 07:51 PM   #30
MrBD1980

Hey,

Firstly I'd like to say that I have never read allessia's posts on any forum topic to be geared up to either offend or dismiss anyone else's views....having read the posts above I feel this remains true and would suggest that her posts are reread with fresh eyes and an open mind.

Having said that however I am going to throw down that I am using a glass tank for my BRB and with slight modification of the mesh top I now successfully achieve great humidity and good temps. I considered a plastic viv but just couldn't find one that would 'display' as well as the glass does, and it was the display element which I really wanted to gain from keeping my brb.

I understand that plastic vivs and tubs can be great for easy husbandry however I put a lot of effort into providing a 'natural' feel in the viv (which I love being able to see) in order to appreciate and enjoy a visual aspect of being a keeper.

To this end, I think with some cunning (and very cheap) alterations glass tanks can be great vivs for almost any species...it is simply a matter of letting people know that alterations may be required for humidity or temperature.

As has been demonstrated above I think there is a need for a disclaimer when making any statement which may contradict a stated opinion...

DISCLAIMER

'the statement above reflects only the authors opinion and is in no way designed to belittle, offend or demean anybody else views. If the message offends please read the words in reverse order to erase them from narrow minded memory!'

Cheers

Brian

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 0.3 cats, 1.0 Lionhead Rabbit, 0.1 hamster
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread