border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-12, 02:16 PM   #16
americanrebel79

Re: hot snakes

Ok so we kinda got off topic i was asking anyone if they know any one in the south texas area that sells hots?
Old 05-16-12, 02:38 PM   #17
StudentoReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrebel79 View Post
Ok so we kinda got off topic i was asking anyone if they know any one in the south texas area that sells hots?
I can understand how you think this is off-topic, but can you see how any of us may be hesitant give you the information you are requesting when we are aware of the "experience" you have?

Keeping venomous snakes is not something to be taken lightly, and there is no room for error. Mistakes are costly, plain and simple. In the least, a lapse in judgment could result in a trip to the ER and maybe a newfound respect for the animal that sent you there. You could lose a digit, and suffer some nerve damage. Worse case scenario: you're dead (unlikely from a pygmy rattler, but there's always a first for everything).

Aside from the usual scare tactics above, have you considered the other ramifications of owning a hot? Do you currently live with your parents? If not, maybe a roommate? Are any of these people okay with you owning a venomous (i.e. dangerous) snake?

Got an escape-proof enclosure already lined-up? If not, shopping around for a hot snake is not your priority.

What is your protocol in case you get bitten? Is your health insurance aware you keep venomous snakes? If not, what do you think will happen if you get bit?
--------
These are questions you need to be asking yourself before you even THINK about acquiring the snake. So again, with all the bad publicity and irresponsible keepers out there already, why would anyone on this forum point you in the direction of someone selling hots, knowing what they know of your so-called experience?
Old 05-17-12, 01:53 AM   #18
KD35WIN.AS.ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
You can have all the fancy technical training you can ever get and still not be as experienced at handling as some hillbilly with a tree branch that has been dealing with them his whole life. There's knowledge, then there's experience. You don't have to be knowledgeable to be experienced.
.....Did you by any chance go back and read this over after you posted it...? I find your logic in your last sentence to be...well.. ignorant.

Old 05-17-12, 01:55 AM   #19
KD35WIN.AS.ONE

Quote:

No one on this forum (at least im reasonably assuming) is going to tell you where to purchase venomous snakes...

Old 05-17-12, 01:59 AM   #20
Skumbo

Natural selection is going to work at its finest if we give you any information on that kind of question.

That said, I fear more for the snake or anyone you try to show off your snake to based on your posts.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-17-12, 06:59 AM   #21
americanrebel79

So anyways back on topic where in south texas can i buy them does any one know where and who
Old 05-17-12, 07:15 AM   #22
CK SandBoas
queen of the Chicken Dance

Send a message via Yahoo to CK SandBoas

Honestly, do you really think anyone is going to tell you where you can purchase Venomous snakes?

Sorry, but that is not going to happen.....
Old 05-17-12, 07:16 AM   #23
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKgal View Post
Honestly, do you really think anyone is going to tell you where you can purchase Venomous snakes?

Sorry, but that is not going to happen.....
Just find a reptile expo in a state near you where they allow venomous. There.
Old 05-17-12, 07:22 AM   #24
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD35WIN.AS.ONE View Post
No one on this forum (at least im reasonably assuming) is going to tell you where to purchase venomous snakes...
Quote:
So anyways back on topic where in south texas can i buy them does any one know where and who
I find this whole thing funny and sad at the same time. It's not off topic to tell you that no one here will tell you. Sorry. This time I'm with the majority.
Old 05-17-12, 07:24 AM   #25
StudentoReptile

No one is going to tell you because they don't want to read about you in the newspaper one day. Bottom line: You are a liability risk to our hobby.
Old 05-17-12, 07:32 AM   #26
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Ok, I've been watching this thread and trying to stay out of it, but I have to enter the discussion at this point. Americanrebel79, we are NOT going to tell you where to buy a potentially deadly snake if the only experience you tell us you have is from your rattlesnake roundup buddy. First of all, rattlesnake roundups are CRUEL and INHUMANE, and the fact that you associate with someone who participates in the roundups makes me reluctant to share any information with you at all. Second, you have not told us of your handling equipment, cage setup plans, protocol in place in case of bite, and the legality of keeping these creatures where you live.

Texas requires a permit for the possession of any venomous snake as well as certain giant constrictors. TPWD: Nonindigenous Snake Permits

Do you currently have this permit? Were you aware of it?

I am all for the (safe, responsible) enjoyment of snakes, including hots; however, when one inquires about the keeping of venomous reptiles, one will be met with rigorous questioning and hesitation from the existing community. Venomous snake-keeping is a legitimately deadly hobby. It requires utmost care, concentration, maturity and a complete understanding and acceptance of the fact that you are taking your life and the lives of any and all other people and pets that live in or enter your house in YOUR hands. That is a massive responsibility, and not one to be taken lightly.

If you are indeed serious about moving into venomous keeping, I highly suggest you contact the Texas game commission about reliable mentors, obtain your permit and get some serious, extensive training before you take the plunge.
Old 05-17-12, 03:12 PM   #27
americanrebel79

Actually yes i do and i do know about it and yes i have everything i need this isnt my first hot i have had 2 eastern diamond backs but the guy i use to buy from no longer deals in them so im looking for somr one new and yes i live by my self and there cages are lock proof and they are in a custom built room that is escape proof to i dont like people who assume things when you have no right i know most people on here that have hots probably dont have the experience to kerp one but thats there choice and you dont have the right to judge people with what they do if the rattle snake round up was so inhumane they wouldnt let it happen so you need to keep your opinion to your self i love snakes and give every one even not hots the utmost respect
Old 05-17-12, 03:33 PM   #28
StudentoReptile

Well, give us a moment while we burn your name on the surface of the moon.[/sarcasm]

Sorry...but in all seriousness, if you had been more upfront with this information in your OP, people may have been more inclined to help you in your quest. If you had said something to the effect of "Hey there, I'm looking for fellow hot keepers in the south Texas area. I currently keep 2 eastern diamondbacks for X yrs. I'm specifically interested in acquiring a pygmy rattler, so if anyone has any suggestions to anyone who deals with them, I'd appreciate the help and any advice ya'll can give me."

Instead, you basically come on here and casually ask "Hey, anyone know where I can get a hot snake in south texas?" And then bringing up any such association with rattlesnake round-ups was a bad judgment call on a reptile forum, IMHO. Didn't score any brownie points there.

As I said before, the stakes for professionalism and responsibility that venomous keepers have are a lot higher than they are for nearly any other faction of herpers. If you get bitten by your adult red-tail or a savannah monitor, chances are it'll hurt A LOT and may take some bandages and some stitches...but you'll live. You get bit by your "pet" rattlesnake, and it makes the newspapers, and all of us get to hear about it for weeks to come and its another black-eye on the hobby. I'm just trying to get you to understand why so many of us take it very seriously. I mean, I don't even keep hots myself, and I take it very seriously.

I was once taught that keeping hots was kinda like the movie Fight Club; first rule of keeping hots: you don't talk about keeping hots! In other words, serious hot keepers are very professional and also discreet about what they do. They rarely advertise to everyone and their brother what they keep and where, they're not posting pics of themselves holding their vipers on Facebook, and they are VERY wary of anyone poking around in their business. So when some stranger pops up on a forum randomly asking where he can buy venomous snakes, and they have no idea what his experience level is, what he keeps, etc....they sure as heck are not going to contribute to anything or anyone that could potential be a liability or threaten their hobby. That's another reason you're not getting the response to your OP that you hoped for.
Old 05-17-12, 04:16 PM   #29
Skumbo

Maybe you should apply for a punctuation permit as well.

Quote:
Actually yes i do and i do know about it and yes i have everything i need this isnt my first hot i have had 2 eastern diamond backs but the guy i use to buy from no longer deals in them so im looking for somr one new and yes i live by my self and there cages are lock proof and they are in a custom built room that is escape proof to i dont like people who assume things when you have no right i know most people on here that have hots probably dont have the experience to kerp one but thats there choice and you dont have the right to judge people with what they do if the rattle snake round up was so inhumane they wouldnt let it happen so you need to keep your opinion to your self i love snakes and give every one even not hots the utmost respect
edit: Animal testing is legal, so are mass slaughterhouses. And while im not going to get into the "politics" of it. How humane something is is pretty low on consideration of legality of many things.

Last edited by Skumbo; 05-17-12 at 04:22 PM..
Old 05-17-12, 04:24 PM   #30
americanrebel79

Well im sorry and yes i understand the hidden hobby i dont even let my closest friends in thst room i understand the danger and the utmost importance of respect for hot snakes they give me joy even though every time i mess with them im taking a great risk but i take thoes chances and im sorry if i came off rude but i dont respect anyone that is willing to tell some one else who they are and what they do is wrong i do understand what you mean studetoreptile and thank you
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread