border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-08, 08:28 AM   #1
AndyB

difficult shed

my royal is undergoing its first shed since we got it, he's shed past his eyes but the old skin is still complete from just behind that to his tail, we'ver bathed him twice a day in lukewarm water, we've sat the water on the heat mat to give him a bit extra humidity, bathed him with the rock in his tank, but still nothing, the old skin is still tight against his head so we cant even help him out.

he's captive-bred, he's never eaten in his whole life and obviously we're not trying to feed him while he sheds, were running out of ideas, so if any of you guys have any it would be much appreciated.

his temps are 91F-85F, slightly less at night depending on house temps

all ideas are appreciated
?.? Royal Python (no name yet)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-28-08, 02:02 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: difficult shed

Well first, your high temperature seems to be a bit over. 85 is good for top end.

Secondly, the problem is you don't have enough humidity for the snake. Baths are OK but they don't keep the humidity past a few minutes after being in the water. My favourite trick, is to soak a pillowcase in warm water. Stick the snake in it, tie it up and leave it until the pillowcase cools down. The snake, through it's own movements should shed.
Old 06-29-08, 12:43 AM   #3
johnrandle

i use orchid moss in a bin in the tanks to create humidity i usually soak it in warm water and put a lid over it with just a hole for the snake to go in to help with shedding.. you can also get a large tupperware and fill it with water and soft new (clean) sponges and let him float around in there for a hour or so they dont shed well when they are dried out it should come off in one piece, and be rolled up like a big condom when you find it. i find mine still wet usually or moist, i usually unravel them and save them.
Old 06-29-08, 10:22 AM   #4
mykee
Super Genius

85 is a little low for your upper temps for a ball python at any time. I prefer 90-95 as do many breeders. As for humidity during a shed, simple; dump some of the water from their drinking bowl onto the substrate. Voila! Humidity!
Old 06-29-08, 10:29 AM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Thanks Mykee for the correction.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-30-08, 05:34 PM   #6
AndyB

He has almost shed, used the pillow case method as suggested, still has an inch behind his eyes but the rest tore midway and peeled off right into my g/f hand with a little assistance.

Got a better tank now to hold the heat and humidity better so hopefully thid won't be a future problem.

Now we just have to get the bugger to eat
?.? Royal Python (no name yet)
Old 07-01-08, 09:10 PM   #7
mykee
Super Genius

No problem Aaron, here to help....I know that some breeders prefer lower temps (the Barkers namely) they like to stick at around 85, and their advice is always good advice, bu most if not all with their exclusion prefer temps in the early 90's.
Old 07-03-08, 04:55 PM   #8
Herpkid101x

Send a message via AIM to Herpkid101x

that's exactly what i do when my bp sheds mykee except i poor some of the water around its hideout with the heat mat underneath it so the water evaporates and makes it nice,warm, and humid inside the hide. works every time with problems
Juvenile Rainwater Albino Leopard Gecko "Chip"
Old 07-05-08, 11:17 AM   #9
Mysteryious

I use Cypress mulch (holds moisture) in a tupperware shoe box that I cut a hole in the lid for my snakes to get in and out of. Has worked like a charm. I re-moisten the mulch from time to time and every couple of months I totally change the mulch.
Old 11-02-08, 02:05 PM   #10
Jesse C

my ball has been having a rough time with her shed too, its the first time she's shed with me, its been about 2 weeks now and she still has the top of her head and about 2 inches past that still on, now i've don't the bath thing, i've tried the pillowcase thing, and i've tried the water from the bowl thing and she still hasn't got it off her head, and it looks as though some of the shed is blocking one of her nose holes, i gently tried to rub it off of her nostril with a Q tip but it wouldn't come off
any other tips out there?
Login to remove ads
Old 11-03-08, 11:29 AM   #11
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

If it's a small piece your best bet is to just manually help the snake with the last pieces. Give the snake a good soak in room temperature water and then gently attempt to remove the piece of shed.

For the nose thing, make sure it's shed and not something else before you attempt to remove it. Maybe it's mucus and the snake has an RI?
Old 11-07-08, 04:44 PM   #12
citysnakes

hey AndyB, now that you got a new tank you may want to use a substrate that holds moisture better such as cypress mulch. as said above, keep it moist but not wet by pouring fresh water in it whenever it gets too dry and this should help with your humidity issue. also, since you said that youre using a tank im assuming youre also using a screen or wire top, you should cover up the majority of it up with saran(plastic) wrap or something. this will help keep the moisture within the tank but make sure to leave space for ventilation(or your heat lamp, if youre using one). hope this helps.
Old 11-08-08, 03:51 PM   #13
Jesse C

ok well its been three weeks now and she still hasn't got her head shed, its still on her eyes, most of her nose, and the whole rest of the head, and i've been giving her a soak or the pillow case trick now every 2nd to 3rd day and its still on, i haven't fed her because of the shed, but three weeks is getting a little long i think, would it be safe to feed her? and is there any other way of getting this shed off?
thanks
Closed Thread