border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-05, 12:02 PM   #1
dynaglide

bringing snakes across border

Does anyone know whats involved in bringing snakes across the border.I live near niagara falls near the border and i'm considering having some milksnakes shipped to the airport in the us,would I have troubles crossing back if I declared the snakes,any info would be greatly appreciated.thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 10-14-05, 12:09 PM   #2
justinO

you're in luck! milksnakes are not CITES animals, so you can take them over the boarder no problem!

All you have to do is have them in a container and claim you have it. Make sure to have a receipt (they might ask you to pay taxes on it). They may ask to inspect, they may not..... just make sure you have the latin and common name for it.

Jessy
Old 10-14-05, 05:12 PM   #3
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Irreguardless of CITES or not all reptiles require a USFW inspection in the States prior leaving to be able to do so Legally. Run a search there are lots of threads in reguards to international border crossing or better yet just contact USFW & hear it from them rather than relying on internet opinions. Mark
Old 10-15-05, 01:38 AM   #4
justinO

USFW and Canadian authorities will not know what you are asking, this is after you spend 2 hours on hold.

Milksnakes are not CITES, they do not need to be inspected but once you are actually there, they can still ask to inspect the snake anyway. You have to provide a receipt, and the latin name. Sometimes they will check the CITES list, sometimes they will look at the snake itself, sometimes not.

This is not an opinion. This is what actually happens.

I did my research the first time I brought snakes over and was very worried........ the next 20 times or so, went just like the first, no problems. Sorry if my knowledge and experience isn't enough.
Old 10-15-05, 03:06 PM   #5
Classic

Send a message via MSN to Classic
I also have not encountered any problems with bringing any milk or king accross the border. I boldly asked at the border during one trip to see the paperwork that i required and he looked me like i had 3 eyes. He said there was no permits required to bring them accross; they do not fall under CITIES so they don't matter. I paid my duty and was sent on my way. Most other times, they just wanted the taxes paid.

Got Milks!

www.highwaterherps.ca
Login to remove ads
Old 10-16-05, 09:55 AM   #6
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Most border crossings aren't even aware of the actual law, but it is actual law to have the inspection if you talk to the head of USFW. It isn't upheld usually unless CITES, but I wouldn't want to encounter some hard@$$ by the book type with a box of expensive snakes. This law is irreguardless of CITES. Mark
Old 10-17-05, 05:22 PM   #7
Classic

Send a message via MSN to Classic
I agree with you there Mark, I do worry when i come accross.
If i do meet that border guard; i guess i'll learn to kiss A$$ real quick.

Got Milks!

www.highwaterherps.ca
Closed Thread