border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-05, 12:21 AM   #1
yakonova

New to snakes

I'm thinking of keeping a snake. I've have zero experience with them. My snake of choice is the Rough Green Snake. Any suggestions? Is this a good Idea? Has anyone had any experience w/ this type of snake?
Login to remove ads
Old 08-24-05, 12:39 AM   #2
Bartman

Send a message via ICQ to Bartman
I would go with something more common and probably much easier to feed/keep. Corn snakes are absolutly perfect beginner snakes. If you want something with a little more pizzaz then you may want to look into ball pythons or even a colombian bci.

Do a crap load of research, thats your best bet. Then decide if you're really up for it.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-05, 08:09 AM   #3
rrrrr

They are beautiful snakes, but by all accounts are difficult to keep. They are hard to get feeding, and stress out in captivity. Many dont survive.

Corn snakes, king snakes, milk snakes and garters all make great beginner snakes. They are all hardy, robust, and tolerant of some variation in temps and humidity.
Old 08-24-05, 09:39 AM   #4
yakonova

Thanks guys. Where online do you recomend researching these snakes? Have you found a site that you think has the most acurate info?
Old 08-24-05, 06:29 PM   #5
Cloudkicker

Hi, I would recommend starting out with a cornsnake rather than ball python. As most ball keepers might agree, they can become frustrating when they go off feeding. Thats just my opinion. Your best bet is to search on google and look for several websites, but be aware there can be sites with false info. If you've narrowed it down to one species, maybe go out and get yourself a book. For ball pythons a decent book is: The Ball Python Manual and for corns theres: The Corn Snake Manual,( "The herpetoculture library") both books have been recently updated and new info was added. Hope that helps,
-Andrew-
Login to remove ads
Old 08-24-05, 07:51 PM   #6
pitviper10

Send a message via AIM to pitviper10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman
I would go with something more common and probably much easier to feed/keep. Corn snakes are absolutly perfect beginner snakes. If you want something with a little more pizzaz then you may want to look into ball pythons or even a colombian bci.

Do a crap load of research, thats your best bet. Then decide if you're really up for it.

Good luck!
i highly would not recomend a columbian boa for a begginer!! they get way to big for someone with zero experience! Do not take bartmans advise and get a boa you will be way in over your head! good begginer snakes are cornsnakes, and kingsnakes. Ball pyhons are a maybe because they tend to not eat sometimes.
Old 09-06-05, 01:35 PM   #7
LilWitchyWoman

Kings are very good also Corns I'm also starting out and new in snakes my friend Jessica is helping me out lol I hope I have some good luck I'm getting a banded black and white California Desert Kingsnake I am also looking for a California Snow Kingsnake if I could just find one!
Old 09-06-05, 04:58 PM   #8
JAdkins2451

Send a message via MSN to JAdkins2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper10
i highly would not recomend a columbian boa for a begginer!! they get way to big for someone with zero experience! Do not take bartmans advise and get a boa you will be way in over your head! good begginer snakes are cornsnakes, and kingsnakes. Ball pyhons are a maybe because they tend to not eat sometimes.

I dont see how BCIs are not a good begginer snakes.. A Bci was my first snake and hes fine and dandy.. You could get a male thaT MAY max out at 6-7 ft.. Besides girth its not all that big.. And I would recommend a BCI before a ball python.. Ball are fussy eaters and need humidity.. And a newbie will get stress if there ball dosent eat.. Where as BCI a like garbage cans and always eat.. (at least mine do anyways) Just My opinion.

Jamie
Closed Thread