border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-05, 12:24 PM   #16
REH

I am right handed and left eyed I shoot a left handed bow I hold the bow with my right hand and the string with my left the arrow goes over my hand not my thumb.

Richard
Old 02-13-05, 12:42 PM   #17
Gary D.

Send a message via MSN to Gary D.
Yes that is the general rule of thumb, but like in herpetoculture there isn't always one clear cut rule. I am right handed, left eye dominant and shoot right. Shooting left as convention would have me do does not feel comfortable in the least. And being relaxed and comfortable goes a long way in archery. Experiment with different bows, weights, left or right hand (if eye and hand dominance don't correspond) if you can. I just close my left eye or concentrate and use a peep sight.
Have you tried the IGUANA? I hear it's great. IGUANA kabobs for all !!! EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA ... This message brought to you by ssEATYOURIGUANAss.com
Old 02-13-05, 02:05 PM   #18
ravensgait

Send a message via Yahoo to ravensgait
Been into archery for a LONG time

Started out on a recurve then got into compounds and now I'm back to the old stick and string lol. The last Compound I owned was a Hoyt Pro Vantage. Now I have way to many stick bows.

You'll enjoy the sport !

Randy
Old 02-13-05, 02:36 PM   #19
reptiguy

Send a message via MSN to reptiguy
Welcome to the wonderful world of archery! You're right, it is as adictive as keeping repitles!
I've been shooting for a few years now. Started shooting traditionally with a longbow then after a year or so got a compound. I was from a pretty small town so no clubs or anything to shoot at.
I did attend 2 or 3 week long archery camps though that focused on shooting style etc and then I ended up teaching those camps for 2-3 years.
Definitly get in with a club if you can. Shooting alone is fun for a while but you'll get much more out of shooting with experienced archers. You'll get helpful tips, invites to shoots and maybe even be able to pick up a good second hand bow if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a new one. It's also great if you can find someplace indoors to shoot during the cool months. I always hated having to hang up my bow for a few months in the winter.
Archery can be expensive to start out with but once you have your bow and basic accessories that's all you really need and there's not much expense after that, just general maintenance and club fees.
There are some great informational sites out there as well as some good books and videos. Using a resource like this forum should help too.
If you have specific questions then post them here as it will be easier to help you out that way.
Are you thinking about getting a traditional bow (longbow or recurve) or a compound? There are definite pros and cons to both but it boils down to what you plan on doing with your bow as someone previously mentioned. Find a good shop and they should be able to outfit you with a bow that will meet your needs.
Good luck and keep us posted on the new hobby!
-Reptiguy-
Email: daveavery@averyexotics.com
Phone: 250-717-3499
Old 02-13-05, 04:21 PM   #20
CarlC

Send a message via MSN to CarlC
Ya shooting with others adds more of a challange. I prefer 3D shoots since I also hunt. Great practice!

Carl
Login to remove ads
Old 02-13-05, 05:08 PM   #21
BoidKeeper

There is a club. They were the ones at the mall. I'm only interested in getting into it because is a people hobby. My snake room is fun but it sure gets lonely at times.lol
I was shooting a recurve and I want to stay with that for a while but I know right now I will be shooting both in a year. It's just the way I am. I have to have my hands in everything and I want the best I can afford when I get into something like this.
So far I've registared on the Hoyt forum and I'm looking at the Aerotec bow. I'm wondering what accessory kit to get.
Cheers,
Trevor
Old 02-13-05, 06:24 PM   #22
Topaz

Is there a basic club where you can rent a some bows to try out shooting? i remember doing it in high school and loving it! Of course you can imagine the basic equipment we had :P not much direction either. I actually didn't think there was much of a following but seems quite a few people love it! Anyone in GTA with any suggestions or information links ?
Old 02-14-05, 01:33 PM   #23
joey

I love archery! My dad and I started getting into it about 10 years ago. I've got a Browning bow and it's awesome. It's so fun to take the bow out into a cornfield and set up targets and spend the whole afternoon there. I'm seriously considering hunting whitetail deer this Fall. I have a 13 year old neice who uses a crossbow and shot a buck larger than her dad did this past season. For X-mas she gave me four deer steaks!

Nothing better than deer meat! yummy.

Have fun!

Are you thinking of getting into it for target or for hunting?
Old 02-14-05, 02:04 PM   #24
Dragonhood

Hi I've been into archery for over 20 years. I've shot lots of whitetail deer, black bears,rabbits squrriels ground hogs , geese, ducks.
Old 02-14-05, 02:24 PM   #25
Scales Zoo
Please Email Boots

Sheila and I both have compound bows, but need to set them up for us.

I have had a 175 lb pull crossbow (compound, with scope) for quite a few years, but have not used it much in the last few.

It is a lot of fun, I used to be pretty good with a long bow when I was younger - and want to practise more with the compound, to be ready for hunting season.

Ryan
Login to remove ads
Old 02-14-05, 02:36 PM   #26
gargoyle

Send a message via AIM to gargoyle Send a message via MSN to gargoyle
Archery is a great hobby/pasttime. I've been shooting for about 10 years at least twice a week! The best piece of advice I could give is start with a bare bones recurve! It'll let you get used to the sport and shooting stance without confusing the hell out of you with all the gadgets and gizmos that are available (I think I own one of everything by now). PSE makes a few really nice recurves that would do the trick (I use a coyote model for bird and deer hunting). Oh one other thing since I just spent 4hours in the Emergency room....buy a real, real good arm guard, apparently there are some pretty important veins in your arm you don't want to hit unless you want your lower arm to go without blood for a few minutes! Slapped my self dozens of times over the years (everyone that shoots does so don't laugh too hard) and never had this happen! Anyways don't by any means be scared of this, if it wasn't me, It probably wouldn't ever happen!
1.0 Sulcatta,1.0 Miami Phase Corn, 1.1 Malaysian Bloods, 1.1 Cali Kings, 2.0 San Matias Rosy Boas, 0.1 El Rosario Rosy, 1.1 Rosy boas (unknown local), 1.0 BCI,1.1 BRB's, 1.3 Fat tails, 3.5 leos and eggs cooking!
Old 02-14-05, 07:14 PM   #27
Gary D.

Gargoyle, what poundage are you shooting?!! The hospital you say!?! I bruised myself pretty good a couple times at 65# Found it still hurt like he** even with the guard so I ditched it and adjusted my grip. My accuracy improved and my forearm thanked me.

I may be wrong but the arm slap does seem to occur more often with a traditional bow than with compounds. Likely due to longet string travel. My wife made a couple cool gauntlet type guards out of leather that go wrist to elbow. They look great on a girl. perhaps a bit to feminine for a guy though.

GD
Have you tried the IGUANA? I hear it's great. IGUANA kabobs for all !!! EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA ... This message brought to you by ssEATYOURIGUANAss.com
Old 02-14-05, 07:54 PM   #28
bighillreptiles

Send a message via MSN to bighillreptiles Send a message via Yahoo to bighillreptiles
Well anyone intersted in a nice Bow i have this one for sale or trade for kings milks or boas Ball Pythons ,It is a Jennings Forked Lightning 70 lb draw and three brand new arows thay are Easton Game getter two 2018 all for 300 or trades comes with the sights and counter balance

I dont hunt anymore so i don't need the Bow .Dont be shy make a offer
Old 02-14-05, 08:06 PM   #29
munchy

more of a gun fella myself. wait till i get my restricted firearms permit. can you say .50 cal smith n wesson revolver?
Old 02-14-05, 08:17 PM   #30
Gary D.

I put in for my restricted firearms permit in late November. Still waiting to hear back. I tell you I do prefer the archery lane to the pistol range though. A lot more relaxed atmosphere, usually wide open instead of little glassed in stalls and a concrete bunker. And WAAAAAYYYY quieter.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread