border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > General Lizard Forum.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-04, 09:03 AM   #1
Pookie

Send a message via AIM to Pookie
fat uro

Yes i know uros are usually pretty fat as it is, but my uro gained a lot of wait in about a month. I thought at first that he might be constapated so i soaked him in warm water for a few minutes and he acutally pooped. But now i really don't think that's the problem. His stomach just feels like a squishy balloon. I talked to the pet store lady that i bought him from and she said it might be due to the types of foods i'm feeding him. He really enjoyes green beans, peas and dandilion. She told me to feed him more leafy greens like kale and collard greens. What do you all think? Is this normal? I'm going to try to feed him different types leafy greens and see how he does with that. Any other suggestions?
Login to remove ads
Old 11-17-04, 01:34 PM   #2
Rebecca

I can't for the life of me remember why but you should not feed kale. I don't know why though I just remember that you should not.
Old 11-17-04, 01:55 PM   #3
silent_truth

I believe kale is fine to feed. The green that is often advised against feeding is iceburg lettuce as it has no nutritional value.

-Adam
Old 11-17-04, 02:43 PM   #4
Nicki

Kale is fine, but in moderation, and not as a staple. It's best to feed a wide variety of greens (excluding lettuces, because they have not many nutrients at all).

Check out the caresheet at http://www.deerfernfarms.com/ for great dietary info. My babies really like collards and escarole and dandelion leaves.

Peas are fattening, and can also bind calcium, so maybe cut back on those. Make sure you are dusting properly with calcium, and I recommend using T-Rex Sandfire Uromastyx Dust as a vitamin supplement.

Does your uro have enough space to run around? They need LARGE enclosures, and will use every inch running around getting excercise.
Old 11-17-04, 10:55 PM   #5
Rhonda

Here's another thought, Sometimes when a uromastyx is feeling a bit uneasy they puff up to make themselves appear larger. If he's eating and pooping ok I don't think I'd be too concerned. Too bad they don't have uromastyx treadmills!
Old 11-17-04, 11:02 PM   #6
Rhonda

Oh I forgot to mention, Kale should only be provided in moderation. mixed with other greens. Try Bok choy, escarole, dandelion, endive, watercress, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens(sm amounts), hibiscus leaves and clover(I'm sure I'm missing some greens) NO spinach, broccoli, cabbage or swiss chard.
Old 11-18-04, 12:16 AM   #7
Siretsap

It may be an excess of water. Uromastix don't and shouln't be put in water nor have a water bowl in their enclosures.

If you have a water bowl in there, it may be the cause of it. They only need the water they get from the fresh vegetables.

If you do not put a water bowl and don't give him a bath often, then it could be something else (female with eggs, a rapid expand of internal parasites?!)
Old 11-18-04, 09:28 AM   #8
Pookie

OK thanks everyone! I have been feeding him kale, escarole and bok choy for this week. Next week i'll work on the collard greens and dandilion. I don't put a wather dish in the enclosure but i do bath him once a week. I have a 40 gal breeder tank for him and he's about 8-9 inches in length. What other types of food should i be feeding? He eats carrots on occasion, lentals, peas, and apples.
Old 01-18-05, 11:59 AM   #9
Pookie

Update! Well it appears that he's only getting fatter. Now i'm truely believing that he's constapated or maybe he has some sort of impaction from his bedding? I'm using Dessert Blend Lizard Litter. He doesn't seem to eat any of it while he's eating out of his food dish but i guess it could happen. I have also noticed that there isn't any poop in his cage and i cleaned it over 3 weeks ago! I've had him for over 4 years and never had a problem. I have a Vet apt. today but I was just looking for some ideas of what it might be before i go. Anyone have any idea?
Old 01-18-05, 08:40 PM   #10
thunder

if he feels squishy and you bathe him often, i would suspect that he is retaining too much water. i would suggest that you cut back on the bathing (as they are desert lizards) and take him to a vet. it may be neccessary for you to give him diuretics.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-19-05, 06:36 AM   #11
Pookie

I think i don't bath him enough actually. The vet ended up giving him an ennima! (poor guy) but it worked. He said I might have to soak him a bit more often to loosen him up so he can go to the bathroom. Does this sound right? The vet seemed a little weird to me so I'm not sure that I trust him completely.
Old 01-19-05, 09:24 AM   #12
Nicki

It's ok to soak him when he's sick, ie to loosen up his stools, but it's not needed all the time. I'd also want to make sure your temps are high enough. What's your basking spot temp? And your cool end?
Temperatures are vital for your guy to digest properly!
Old 01-19-05, 09:41 AM   #13
Pookie

basking is at about 105 because of the winter weather...but in the summer it's at about 110/115. Cool end is at about 90. He seems to hang out at both ends during the day so i'd assume that the hot end is warm enough for him or he'd stay there all day. I could be wrong.
Old 01-20-05, 07:52 AM   #14
Nicki

I'd increase the basking spot to about 120. Especially if he's not feeling well, the extra heat will help his body heal.
Closed Thread