border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Pogona Vitticeps

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-04, 11:02 PM   #16
atw

Quote:
Many studies have been done, showing adult dragons with sand impacting organs.
Studies? What studies? Whatever. I am sure this is just anecdotal evidence. Even if it is 'fact', I am sure there are just as many ‘studies’ that would prove the opposite just as how eggs are good for you one day and bad the next. Honestly, when it comes to keeping reptiles some people are overly cautious and this is an example of it.

Beardies have excellent aim when feeding and even if it decreases their life expectancy, so what? I would rather try to approximate my lizard's environment instead of proving it with a sanitized world because of the remote possibility of impaction or because it is simply ‘better for it.’ This reminds me of people that will by a single onion or orange at the grocery store and put it in a plastic bag. I hate people like this. The precaution is totally irrelevant and creates waste. In fact, I would say that keeping beardies on paper towel would result in more people neglecting their lizards because it takes more effort to remove the paper towel than it does to spot clean sand. Has there ever been a study done to describe a cause and effect relationship between reptile neglect and substrate? Probably not because this type of study would actually be informative.

Ultimately, however, it doesn’t matter because there is no single answer to the substrate question but if you want something that is easy to clean, looks good, provides them with something to dig in, does not provide hiding places for crickets, cheap and that approximates their environment, screened play sand is it.

Adam
Old 12-21-04, 07:35 AM   #17
ChristinaM

Send a message via ICQ to ChristinaM
Quote:
Originally posted by atw
Studies? What studies? Whatever. I am sure this is just anecdotal evidence. Even if it is 'fact', I am sure there are just as many ‘studies’ that would prove the opposite just as how eggs are good for you one day and bad the next. Honestly, when it comes to keeping reptiles some people are overly cautious and this is an example of it.

Beardies have excellent aim when feeding and even if it decreases their life expectancy, so what? ....

So what? As a caretaker one would generally want their animal to live life to it's fullest capacity, not decrease their expectancy deliberately.

Quote:

Ultimately, however, it doesn’t matter because there is no single answer to the substrate question but if you want something that is easy to clean, looks good, provides them with something to dig in, does not provide hiding places for crickets, cheap and that approximates their environment, screened play sand is it.

Adam
Since when does their natural environment have screened play sand? They come from area's when hard packed sand, not light and loose sand.

Bran does the exact same thing ( cheap, diggable, etc ).

I don't think this post is a sand debate, I believe it was a new dragon owner getting advice, and on that note....I'm done here, and hopefully some of what I've said has open some eyes. I must tend to my sanatised ( ummm, not really, it needs a good cleaning ) environment of my dragons with long life expectancies. Peace out. Enjoy your dragon Bailey, I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job with him and finding what works for you and him.
Old 12-21-04, 08:40 AM   #18
atw

Quote:
So what? As a caretaker one would generally want their animal to live life to it's fullest capacity, not decrease their expectancy deliberately.
Wrong. I would rather have my animals live high quality lives instead of long lives. I think sand provides beardies with a higher quality of life. I have never attempted to 'decrease their expectancy deliberately.' I am just saying that because you can drown in 3 inches of water this does not mean that you should not take baths. The same goes for using sand with beardies... the risk is insignificant and as a result, so what?

Quote:
Since when does their natural environment have screened play sand? They come from area's when hard packed sand, not light and loose sand.
I said approximate NOT duplicate.

Quote:
I'm done here, and hopefully some of what I've said has open some eyes.
Yes... me too.

Quote:
( ummm, not really, it needs a good cleaning ) environment of my dragons with long life expectancies.
Have a great Christmas!
Old 12-21-04, 08:43 AM   #19
snakehunter

Sand MAY not harm your herp, but as most of us are aware it is HIGHLY likely. Now when it comes down to looks sure sand is most pleasing to the eye, BUT I would most rather my cage look homely than know that my herp may be injesting sand and not passing it. On this note I would also like to say that this is where most first timers go wrong, they go for the looks and not the economical functional way, WHILE the looks may not be harmful to the herp it is alot easier for the keepr to clean and maintain the animal.

Baily keep doin what your doin looks good, Im sure you will have a happy compannion for many years to come.

-Jacob
Old 12-22-04, 01:20 PM   #20
drewlowe

Send a message via MSN to drewlowe Send a message via Yahoo to drewlowe
Since when has keeping herps on paper towels became neglect, I guess pretty much everyone on this site is neglecting there herps.

If your all about the natural environment wheat bran makes a great substitute. It's VERY easy to clean and they can digest it.

Everyone has their opion on sand, i've seen it first hand so there's no changing my mind so if i chose not to use sand it's NOT neglect!!! It's being concerned with the health and well being of my animals in the near future and in the long run.

"Ultimately, however, it doesn’t matter because there is no single answer to the substrate question but if you want something that is easy to clean, looks good, provides them with something to dig in, does not provide hiding places for crickets, cheap and that approximates their environment, screened play sand is it."

Wheat bran also fits that mold perfectly. They can play and dig around in it, crix can't hide or breed in it, and it's easier than sand to clean (the wheat bran actually clumps the fecal and urate matter very nicely almost like kitty litter). And for 8 bucks i can get a 50lbs bag at a feed store that will last for at least 3-4 cage changes.

That's all i wanted to say about the substrate issue, I'm not making a debate or going "anti" sand, but just offering my opinion.

As far as the water dish as long as you give baths and feed salads they should get enough of there water from that. I used a water dish for about 2 months when i first got them and almost 4 years later they are still doing great and getting plenty of water from other sources than a water dish.

Jamie
1.2 Bearded dragons (Login, Raven, & Jean Grey) 1.1.1 Corn snakes(Havoc,Sable, & Kink0 1.5 Leo's (Psyloke (Lucky-male) Speedball, Domino, Rouge, Siren, Elektra) 1.0 Veiled Chams (Neo), 0.1 Rose Hair T. (Night Crawler) 0.0.3 Crested Geckos (Shiva, Storm, Beast) 0.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Tigra & Cloak)
Login to remove ads
Old 12-22-04, 02:58 PM   #21
concept3

a HEALTHY adult beardie will have no problems passing the few grains of sand they injest while eating, as for juvi's I would keep them on paper towl/ bran / whatever until at least a year old.
Old 12-22-04, 10:02 PM   #22
bailey

Send a message via MSN to bailey Send a message via Yahoo to bailey
We've actually discovered a wonderful substrate that is re-usable. Non stick shelf lining. It's easy to clean and doesn't allow crix to hide under it. Things seem to keep getting better and better with him. thanks everyone.
Closed Thread