Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-04, 08:49 AM   #1
Mustangrde1

Send a message via AIM to Mustangrde1
The Right First Hot

The Right First Hot

What is a good first hot is a question I here and read all the time?

Many people say a copperhead makes a great starter. This is something I would say as well but after thinking about it and what happens to many other reptiles when people get tired of them I now find I must change my opinion.

A good first hot should be someone else's! Why simple because as we have seen and heard all to often when a person buys something and then decides to move on to something else the first animal gets neglected. They also can decide they no longer want it and release the animal. This can cause many problems and bad press when they become invasive to an area or region. Also they may not survive and all the person has done is kill an animal, or worse introduced in to a wild population decease that can destroy the wild stock.

What can you expect in training? Knowledge and insight of someone who has kept the animals you want to have. Safety in handling and working with them. Making a good friend who down the years can help you when you need a second set of hands.
{ So you want to get trained http://ivrks.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=17 }

Finding a person who has the species you wish to work with and keep then becomes your best first hot. You can learn about the proper housing and care of the species you want. Not some animal you feel is a starter to work toward that animal you really want.

Lets face it a copperhead is by no means a cobra and a coachwhip is not even close to a mamba. Yes, you may pick up a few ideas and possibly handling skills but is a copperhead and coachwhip what you really want. Probably not!

Finding a keeper that has those species and can take the time to teach you will prepare you for those animal not some animal with similar traits or an animal that has no similar traits but is just a hot.

Venomous keeping is not hard to learn or even do. However it does require skills and knowledge. { See the Elite Myth http://ivrks.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=66 } It should be our goals as keepers to be responsible to our animals at all time. There can never be enough training or interaction with other keepers to continue to further your knowledge. So before you get your first hot why not take the time to find a person who keeps what you want and learn about that species then get the RIGHT FIRST HOT.

How do you find a keeper to help train you? Local Herp societies are a good place to look. Join one it can only help gain knowledge. Websites are another great place to ask around for people to help you. If your willing to spend the money to buy that animal and keep it alive and well why not spend the time to find a keeper.

The worlds most deadly snake is the one you do not see.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread