sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-21, 08:27 AM   #1
Raswar

New to breeding

Greetings,

I've always wanted to get into snake breeding but never had the finances to start. I recently adopted a subadult bloodred (diffused) corn snake (possibly male) and in a few years' time, I think he'd be beautiful to breed. Corn snakes, milk snakes, and ball pythons would be really cool to learn to breed with (I've always wanted a ball python but only have a Pueblan (?) milk snake currently).

How does anyone get into breeding?
Things to consider when starting?
Best setup (racks, heating system, etc)?
How do you sell any hatchlings? Who do you sell to?
Did you end up breeding your own mice as well?
Why are hybrids such a touchy subject? Aside from pure genetics, do people not buy them? I think they look really cool!

I have years before I'll start, but plenty of time to plan/budget/look at what I want to breed.

Advice/suggestions are helpful, please don't just **** on everyone's posts (like in other threads)
Login to remove ads
Old 03-22-21, 05:30 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: New to breeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raswar View Post
Greetings,

I've always wanted to get into snake breeding but never had the finances to start. I recently adopted a subadult bloodred (diffused) corn snake (possibly male) and in a few years' time, I think he'd be beautiful to breed. Corn snakes, milk snakes, and ball pythons would be really cool to learn to breed with (I've always wanted a ball python but only have a Pueblan (?) milk snake currently).

How does anyone get into breeding?
Things to consider when starting?
Best setup (racks, heating system, etc)?
How do you sell any hatchlings? Who do you sell to?
Did you end up breeding your own mice as well?
Why are hybrids such a touchy subject? Aside from pure genetics, do people not buy them? I think they look really cool!

I have years before I'll start, but plenty of time to plan/budget/look at what I want to breed.

Advice/suggestions are helpful, please don't just **** on everyone's posts (like in other threads)
You get into breeding by buying a male and a female animal and putting them together. It's honestly as simple as that.

There's a lot to consider like which species do you like most? How much room do you have? Do you own a home or rent and can you house everything without much moving? What's legal in your area? It goes on...

Housing: preference is yours. A lot of people are doing rack systems from freedom breeder but they can be costly.

You can sell via morphmarket for the species listed on there. You can use craigslist or other classified sites. A lot of traction comes from social medias like youtubes, instagram or facebook but facebook has cracked down the most on animal sales.

Lots breed their own rodents but that's a size thing. Depends on how large your collection is or gets.

Hybrids are just touchy because people like pure genetics. They can also be touchy because hybrids sometimes look like the expensive version of a pure genetic animal, or it's marketed as a new morph of a specific species, few other reasons but that's the jist.

Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
beginner breeding, start up