border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-19, 11:43 AM   #1
Syphon

Exclamation Baby boa hasnt eaten!!!

So I purchased a baby boa on Saturday June 29th, and the breeder informed me that she had eaten on the Tuesday before the show. After giving her a few days to settle down with minimal handling I tried feeding her (frozen pinkie rats), she bit it, then let go and ignored it. I tried again next Tuesday, same result. I just tried again yesterday and she struck it, held it, took it from the tongs, then dropped it and wouldn't touch it. I haven't handled her at all, her hot spot temp is 88 degrees F with a undertank heater regulated by a thermostat, ambient temps are about 84-75 degrees. She has plenty of hides and lots of cover, and a large water bowl. Humidity stays around 55%. I'm going to try a live fuzzy mouse as soon as I can get a hold of one (hopefully tomorrow). If she refuses that as well is it time to take her to the vet??? She hasn't eaten in 4 weeks and she is a tiny baby!! Shes about 17-18 inches long, so very young...….
Login to remove ads
Old 07-16-19, 12:40 PM   #2
Albert Clark

Re: Baby boa hasnt eaten!!!

What did the breeder say he was feeding the boa? I wouldn't handle it at all until the reptile begins feeding and has taken at least 3 meals with you. I don't think it's much to worry about bc the adjustment phase to the new enclosure may be the root of the problem. Live rodents are usually what works. Consider putting a larger water bowl in the enclosure bc as long as the reptile is hydrated you should be ok within this time frame.
Old 07-16-19, 02:13 PM   #3
craigafrechette

I would feed exactly the same prey the breeder was feeding. If the snake was eating F/T I'd stick to F/T.

Also, if the snake is striking but not eating, the prey not be hot enough.

How are you heating the prey?
Old 07-16-19, 07:18 PM   #4
Syphon

I put the mouse in a sealed plastic bag, put the bag in really hot water and wait an hour, when I take the mouse/rat out it’s usually very warm
Old 07-17-19, 08:03 AM   #5
craigafrechette

Are you using a temp gun to check the temp of the prey item?
What feels warm to us may not be hot enough for the snake.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-17-19, 11:39 AM   #6
Syphon

No I haven’t been using a temp gun, what degrees should a thawed out mouse be?
Old 07-17-19, 02:09 PM   #7
craigafrechette

Ok, it might be worth trying that.

I've been feeding so long it's become routine, but I used to have to temp my prey.

I shoot for right around 100°. Keep in mind small prey like rat pinks will cool down very quickly. So you may want to shoot for 110° or so, and possibly reheat a few times until the snake takes it.

If it's not warm enough the snake may not recognize it as prey. So may be getting the scent and striking, but then if the prey feels "cool" the snake may move on thinking it's just something that smelled like food.
Old 07-17-19, 03:48 PM   #8
Syphon

She ate a live fuzzy mouse, gonna feed her a few more live fuzzies, just to make sure she’s established, then switch her to frozen, and I’ll definitely use the temp gun next time!! Thanks!!
Old 07-17-19, 04:00 PM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I'm glad she ate for you. Hopefully she'll take f/t prey after a few more feedings. My boas were super easy to transition from live to f/t and from mice to rats. Share pics of your girl when you can.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-17-19, 05:03 PM   #10
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

With boas, as they grow their feeding response intensifies. It's not entirely uncommon to have to start them on live prey and after a few meals they switch over pretty readily. Glad to hear that yours ate.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-17-19, 06:05 PM   #11
craigafrechette

Awesome!!! I'm glad she ate for you.
Closed Thread