border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-18, 05:56 PM   #1
DJC Reptiles

Milk Snake

I found a Milk Snake earlier today, unfortunately it wasn’t in good health. Which is a shame because it’s the first non-garter snake I’ve found this year. I am curious to what it had. I’m thinking either skeletal deformities, or bacterial absences. Curious to what you all think.

https://m.imgur.com/a/v5YxzDo
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Login to remove ads
Old 09-04-18, 09:13 AM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: Milk Snake

It could be skeletal deformities that are congenital in nature, or old injuries that have healed. Does not look typical for bacterial abscesses but that's not to say that it isn't possible. Hope you washed your hands really good before handling any of your own collection.
Old 09-04-18, 09:37 AM   #3
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
It could be skeletal deformities that are congenital in nature, or old injuries that have healed. Does not look typical for bacterial abscesses but that's not to say that it isn't possible. Hope you washed your hands really good before handling any of your own collection.
Yeah, absolutely. Though I will say there seems to be some sort of zig-zag pattern when I was handling the snake, (which I guess would rule out bacterial absences) which is more noticeable on the top picture. I’ve never seen anything like it.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).

Last edited by DJC Reptiles; 09-04-18 at 09:44 AM..
Old 09-28-18, 04:54 PM   #4
CarlaSee

I found a 6' snake in my backyard again today. I was told it could be a milk snake. I can't post a photo yet because I'm new to this site. Can a milk snake be black with some whiteish markings along his back? I found him, again, wrapped up in a wet swimming pool. Do milk snakes get 6' long?
Old 09-29-18, 05:43 PM   #5
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaSee View Post
I found a 6' snake in my backyard again today. I was told it could be a milk snake. I can't post a photo yet because I'm new to this site. Can a milk snake be black with some whiteish markings along his back? I found him, again, wrapped up in a wet swimming pool. Do milk snakes get 6' long?
No milk snake in the U.S. gets that long. No idea what you saw if there Is no picture. For any further ID questions, please start your own thread. Please use the search function of the forum to search how to post pictures.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-29-18, 06:28 PM   #6
Jim Smith

CarlaSee, It wounds like you found either a King Snake or perhaps a Black Rat Snake with pronounced markings. Do a good search on those two species and I think you'll find your answer. Both of these snakes are beneficial to have around. The Rat snake will help keep the rodent population down and King Snakes feed on other snakes and do a very good job of keeping the venomous snakes populations in check for you.