border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-18, 10:50 AM   #1
666Francis

High humidity for Dumerils Boas - Yes or no?

Dear reader,
I want to get myself a Dumerils Boa (Acrantophis dumerili) and so I am informing myself about keeping this species right now.

Problem is I just found two different sources about this topic which contradict each other. The Reptilesite LLLReptiles states that Dumerils Boas need high humidity in their enclosures opposed to that the youtuber Nyxilyn's Reptiles describes how such snakes really like a dry environment and also shows a couple of her own healthy Dumerils.

LL Reptiles ( https://www.lllreptile.com/articles/60-dumerils-boa/):
Humidity levels should be kept high within the enclosure. Regular misting of the entire cage contents with room temperature water will be required. The substrate used and the ambient humidity of the room in which the snake is housed will dictate how frequently you will need to spray the enclosure. Typically twice a day is sufficient, although additional humidity may be warranted during the snakes shedding cycle.

Nyxilyn's Reptiles ( https://youtu.be/gQ7P2ZuLGso?t=1m49s (1:49 min)):
[You can use whatever substrate you like] as long as it’s not too wet. Dumerils Boas do NOT require high humidity. In fact of all the species that I keep here in my snake room, I NEVER worry about the humidity for the Dumerils Boas. They always have perfect sheds for me.

So my question is: How do I actually have to keep this kind of snake?

Thanks alot!

Sincerely,
Francis
Login to remove ads
Old 08-26-18, 03:47 AM   #2
TeamSlitherin

Send a message via AIM to TeamSlitherin
Re: High humidity for Dumerils Boas - Yes or no?

Most care sheets say 40-60% humidity is fine for a Dumeril's. However, another keeper recently suggested I raise it for my 2 year old Dum. I have noticed a dramatic difference in her behavior and vibrancy. Obviously, it is at least partially due to the fact that I upgraded her to a larger enclosure at the same time. But her skin is visibly improved, both in texture, color, and increased iridescence.

She's also much more active, burrows constantly, and is consistently eating for the first time in her life. She shed just fine at 50-60%, but she definitely thrives and looks much more beautiful with humidity levels in the high 70's.
Old 08-28-18, 04:13 PM   #3
toddnbecka

I've kept my Dumeril's in very high humidity for months w/out any issues. When I moved her into a larger plywood enclosure the humidity fluctuated more, particularly when the cypress mulch gets dry. She has a water tub more than large enough to soak in when she wants, and has always shed cleanly regardless of whether the humidity in the enclosure was higher or lower at the time. I'd have to say they don't require more than 60%, but higher certainly won't do any harm.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 10-23-18, 02:17 PM   #4
Pedroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
I've kept my Dumeril's in very high humidity for months w/out any issues. When I moved her into a larger plywood enclosure the humidity fluctuated more, particularly when the cypress mulch gets dry. She has a water tub more than large enough to soak in when she wants, and has always shed cleanly regardless of whether the humidity in the enclosure was higher or lower at the time. I'd have to say they don't require more than 60%, but higher certainly won't do any harm.
The best humidity level according to my experience with my Dumeril is between 50%-65% and during the shedding process 70% to a maximum level of 75%.
Closed Thread

Tags
dumerils boa, humidity