border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-18, 12:09 PM   #1
Gilmore_LV

Mites won’t go away

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, I recently got a boa from a local supplier and everything was fine at first but a few days ago I noticed my guy was spending lots of time in his water dish and there were little black specks floating in the water. I did my research and learned they were mites, so yesterday I disposed of all the substrate and decorations in the tank and disinfected it thoroughly. I bought him a new hide and stuff and substrate. I even baked the substrate in the oven to kill anything that might have been hiding. He got two baths and everything was treated with protect a mite before going back in the tank. This morning I woke up and checked on the boa and the mites were back. I followed instructions very carefully but I guess I missed something. Any help would be awesome.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-20-18, 04:17 PM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: Mites won’t go away

You have to treat multiple times over the course of a month or two to successfully get rid of mites if you are going to use chemicals to treat. You also have to switch to newspaper or paper towel as well as disposable hides during the time of treatment. Be vigilant. That should be enough to help you get started and lay out realistic expectations of how long it should take. Good luck.
Old 04-20-18, 05:09 PM   #3
Jim Smith

I had one episode with mites and I had no luck with the usual treatments, even after 4 or 5 treatments and complete cage sterilizations. I ended up going with the predatory mites and they took care of everything in about two weeks with no work or hassel on my part. Here is where I ordered the predatory mites from. https://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/hypoaspis.html They are a bit expensive $35.50, but the amount you get will treat at least 6 good sized cages. Simply sprinkle some of the material that the mites come in onto a small dish in your cage and let them do their work. They die off after they've eaten all the snake mites.
Old 04-20-18, 10:25 PM   #4
MDT

This works remarkably well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwCAuhSVRV4&t=1s
Old 04-22-18, 04:55 PM   #5
pet_snake_78

I also used Frontline with good results, just make sure you get the flea and tick spray not the concentrated stuff that goes between the dogs shoulder blades.

How to Save Money on Reptile Supplies
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
cleaning, mites