border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-18, 04:54 PM   #1
VeedubDan

Thermostat probe position?

I’m after everyone’s thoughts on the best/correct location for a thermostat probe.

When using a heatmat I have my probe taped directly to the mat, underneath the substrate.

When using a ceramic heat lamp, where should my probe be? I’ve been putting it directly under the heater, taped to the bottom of the tank, however when the snakes are basking, they lay directly over the probe which blocks it from the heater. I’ve tried putting one of my tanks probes on the side of the tank, in line with the heat lamp, and turned the temp down a little bit as it’s not directly in the basking spot. I’m still monitoring temps and they seem fine, I’m just wondering if there’s a better position for the probes!

Any help would be appreciated guys!

Thanks
Old 04-17-18, 06:53 AM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: Thermostat probe position?

A couple HUGE red flags there!!!

1) No tape anywhere in the enclosure!!!! PLEASE REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY!!! Snakes can/ WILL get to it. The results will NOT be good. I've seen scales and skin ripped off, I've seen spinal injuries and even death caused by tape INSIDE an enclosure snapping the snakes neck.

2) the probe goes OUTSIDE the enclosure, sandwiched between the UTH and the glass. If it's INSIDE the enclosure it can be moved, peed on, etc...which can cause inaccurate readings and dangerous heat spikes.
Old 04-17-18, 08:36 AM   #3
VeedubDan

I don't use glass bottomed tanks. My vivariums are wooden, so i put the heat mat inside. Surely it wouldn't go outside the vivarium as it wouldn't get hot enough inside!
Old 04-17-18, 12:18 PM   #4
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedubDan View Post
I don't use glass bottomed tanks. My vivariums are wooden, so i put the heat mat inside. Surely it wouldn't go outside the vivarium as it wouldn't get hot enough inside!
That would depend on the type of heat mat. Only a few are safe to use in the enclosure (the only one I know of in North America is Kane brand heat mats) and most need something over them to diffuse the heat. I've used wooden enclosures (1/3 inch plywood, 5/8 inch melamine) before with heat tape on the outside with no problem...
Old 04-17-18, 01:05 PM   #5
VeedubDan

I'll have to look into heat tape, thanks! Mostly though I'm after advice regarding the ceramic heaters. Where should my probe be? Like i said before i usually have it directly under the heater, but the snakes lay right on top of it and block it! what do you guys do? anyone got pics?

P.S. I removed all the tape when i got home tonight!
Old 04-17-18, 01:58 PM   #6
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedubDan View Post
I'll have to look into heat tape, thanks! Mostly though I'm after advice regarding the ceramic heaters. Where should my probe be? Like i said before i usually have it directly under the heater, but the snakes lay right on top of it and block it! what do you guys do? anyone got pics?

P.S. I removed all the tape when i got home tonight!
My Kingsnake is in a wooden enclosure. I only heat from above and he's done well since being in there.
I use Accurite brand dual thermometer/hygrometers inside the enclosure with no probes.
Old 04-17-18, 02:29 PM   #7
VeedubDan

Cool I’ll have a look for those! I’ve thought about using a ceramic heater for him but I always thought mats were better for smaller snakes. Thanks for the advice!