border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Heterodon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-17, 08:39 PM   #16
Noh

Re: What About A Hognose?

I meant that ball pythons are more likely to not eat if they're stressed out or their enclosure is imperfect for some reason.
Old 12-22-17, 06:24 AM   #17
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noh View Post
I meant that ball pythons are more likely to not eat if they're stressed out or their enclosure is imperfect for some reason.
Yes, but I think keepers who really research the animal can handle it. I would never recommend someone who is afraid of snakes to keep a ball python because, they do need a little more care then others. It seems this is just his roommate though, and if properly taken care of, they mostly become "lap" snakes.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 12-22-17, 01:06 PM   #18
Noh

I originally wanted my first snake to be a ball python before I researched them and kingsnakes.

Of course I want all the snakes(lol) and ball pythons seem pretty tranquil, the ca kingsnake still seems like a better option than a ball for me, at least for now. I'm pretty sure I could take care of a ball python, despite my lack of experience, but I'd just prefer something a little easier for now.

I love watching youtube videos of people with big reptile rooms, both those with tubs and those with tanks. I hope one day I can have a reptile room or at least an area of my house where I can keep colubrids, boas, pythons, geckos, beardies, tarantulas, etc. I just thought a colubrid would be a good place to start.
Old 12-22-17, 02:41 PM   #19
Magdalen

Yeah if he's scared of snakes the hognose's attitude might not help make a nervous person not nervous. I had one for a little bit and the little guy would hiss and mock strike if I just looked at him.... from across the room haha.
Old 12-23-17, 10:15 AM   #20
craigafrechette

Based on your thread and your replies, I say go with the King that YOU originally wanted. Nobody is telling you it's a horrible first snake, because they are a great option. I truly believe you'll love a King based on what I've read. Just keep in mind they are quick when young and are great escape artists. Keep that in mind when handling as well as with the enclosure. They can fit into the TINIEST holes and can be gone forever very quickly. I learned that the heard way a while back...
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread