border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-17, 07:21 PM   #91
whistlepig

Re: Introducing Dr. Coil

Thanks to both of you and thanks for looking!
Old 08-05-17, 01:29 AM   #92
jjhill001

How are the racers? Do you do anything special for his diet or is it basically just mice like any other? What kind of cage will you need for him as an adult?
Old 08-06-17, 09:34 AM   #93
whistlepig

Quote:
How are the racers?
Well I obviously think they're cool. If you're looking for a snake to observe and is active during the day, then they are great for that. They can be nervous though, so if you're looking for something that you can spend a lot of time holding, they are probably not right for that.

Quote:
Do you do anything special for his diet or is it basically just mice like any other?
For me, it's just mice. Racer's are difficult to feed when they're young. Some people feed them things like lizards when they're small. I cut up parts of mice to feed him and the whole process took ~ 5 months before he really started eating with no difficulty. Since then it's been easy, though I've never been able to just leave a mouse in the cage, it usually involves a little visual stimulation, like jiggling the mouse with tweezers until he notices it.

Quote:
What kind of cage will you need for him as an adult?
That's a good question. I'm not really sure. Right now I have him in a 40 gallon tank. Not sure if I'll need something bigger. I wouldn't mind having a nice big display tank for him someday.
Old 08-07-17, 05:10 AM   #94
eminart

Looks like he's doing great. I still have plans to get a pair of racers.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 08-08-17, 11:48 AM   #95
whistlepig

Quote:
Looks like he's doing great. I still have plans to get a pair of racers.
Thanks. I'm not sure about Alabama, but the next cohort of baby racers began hatching here in Southern Illinois just yesterday, so now might be a good time. Pretty consistent given that it's within 5 days of when I collected Dr. Coil last year.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-02-17, 01:00 PM   #96
whistlepig

Been a while since I've updated and I missed posting during his last shed, which is also when he moved to being a 1 year old. He started at about 10 inches and is now just under 3 ft. Anyway, the updates:

Old 09-03-17, 10:58 AM   #97
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Nice pictures he looks great
Old 09-04-17, 01:37 PM   #98
whistlepig

Quote:
Nice pictures he looks great
Thank you!
Old 09-14-17, 12:40 PM   #99
Humble308

Very cool to see his transformation. Challenging species for captivity that it looks like you've done really well with! Has he tamed/calmed down for you with age?
Old 09-14-17, 05:57 PM   #100
whistlepig

Quote:
Very cool to see his transformation. Challenging species for captivity that it looks like you've done really well with!
Thanks!

Quote:
Has he tamed/calmed down for you with age?
He's still a pretty nervous snake. To be honest, I rarely take him out of his enclosure, only when I clean it. He doesn't bite, but he just doesn't seem to like it very much. If people think it would help him calm down, I could take him out more, but it seems most on here don't think it does much. He seems much more confident and less nervous when he's in his enclosure and his I enjoy watching him.

The only other thing I've noticed as he's gotten older is that he has become a little more difficult come feeding time. Getting him to eat can be a pain at times. When I first try to fed him, he get's a little freaked out with more defensive strikes. But eventually he eats. I usually feed him two fuzzies and there's no hesitation with the second (must be the feeding mode everyone talks about). Other than it taking a little time, it's not too big a deal, great snake otherwise.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-25-17, 08:08 AM   #101
whistlepig

Time for an update. Still growing, still doing well, still fun to watch.

Old 10-25-17, 08:47 PM   #102
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
Well I obviously think they're cool. If you're looking for a snake to observe and is active during the day, then they are great for that. They can be nervous though, so if you're looking for something that you can spend a lot of time holding, they are probably not right for that.

For me, it's just mice. Racer's are difficult to feed when they're young. Some people feed them things like lizards when they're small. I cut up parts of mice to feed him and the whole process took ~ 5 months before he really started eating with no difficulty. Since then it's been easy, though I've never been able to just leave a mouse in the cage, it usually involves a little visual stimulation, like jiggling the mouse with tweezers until he notices it.

That's a good question. I'm not really sure. Right now I have him in a 40 gallon tank. Not sure if I'll need something bigger. I wouldn't mind having a nice big display tank for him someday.
Interesting information, I'm not really the holding type so that checks a box for me right there lol.

Also on your recent photos: THOSE BLUUUUUEEESSS !!!!!

Man that's a cool looking snake. Really excited about future updates.
Old 01-28-18, 06:25 PM   #103
whistlepig

Another general update to my pictures. Dr. Coil is doing well, was concerned when he stopped eating in November, but has started again this month. Figured it was due to seasonal feeding patterns.

Old 01-28-18, 08:08 PM   #104
DJC Reptiles

Beautiful snake!
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 01-29-18, 04:07 PM   #105
Scubadiver59

Always good to see that the Doctor still available to make me feel better!

I'll be picking up my own version--an Eastern Indigo w/red chin--in a few months, so I guess I'm going to have to come up with my own catchy name.
Closed Thread