border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-17, 09:26 AM   #1
Klim

Day Light

I have gotten a lot of great feedback on other places to get bedding and such, like home and garden centers.

The daylight has burned out in Klims' enclosure. Can I get a different type of bulb or do I need to go to the pet store and get the light blue 75watt day light?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-24-17, 09:54 AM   #2
sattva

Re: Day Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klim View Post
I have gotten a lot of great feedback on other places to get bedding and such, like home and garden centers.

The daylight has burned out in Klims' enclosure. Can I get a different type of bulb or do I need to go to the pet store and get the light blue 75watt day light?
I guess it all depends on what type of critter your shining a light on... I am a firm believer that if it ain't broke don't fix it... If the 75 watt blue light bulb has been working for you, and your animal is health then replace it with the same one...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 03-24-17, 11:17 AM   #3
SnoopySnake

It isn't necessary to get the same bulb from the petstore. A normal 75 watt incandecent bulb will do the same thing, with a lower price tag. If you want the more "blue" color look for something 4600K and up
Old 03-24-17, 11:30 AM   #4
Klim

Sounds great. Thank you both.
Old 03-30-17, 10:30 AM   #5
jay's reptiles

yeah most of the bulbs i get are from walmart and are dirt cheap. right now im using a 65watt for my checkered garter snake and is heating the cage up to 86-88 degrees on the warm side. im also using a another 65 watt for my five lined skink. which is closer to the floor of the tank which is heating his basking spot to 100-105 degrees. they need a hot basking spot. almost like the bearded dragon.
Old 03-30-17, 01:46 PM   #6
Klim

Thank you all for the feedback.
Old 03-30-17, 01:48 PM   #7
jay's reptiles

no problem, hope this helps you
Old 03-31-17, 03:47 PM   #8
TRD

As long as the light wattage is the same and the bulb design similar (Omni-Directional, Spot light, etc) you can basically use whatever. It's important because a 75W omni light (no reflector) gives off less focused heat than a spot light. So if you get good results using a 75W bulb in your setup which is an omni model, don't replace it with a 75W spot because it will be way too hot.

Just some examples in case it isn't clear...
omni-directional light: http://download.p4c.philips.com/lfb/..._en_aa_001.pdf
spot light: http://download.p4c.philips.com/lfb/..._en_aa_001.pdf

And then even, between different manufacturers there are differences in heat output because that is directly tied to the efficiency of the lamp itself (higher efficiency and less energy is converted to heat instead of light).
Closed Thread