border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-17, 03:31 AM   #1
thea_k

are constrictors really good starters?

hiya! i'm brand new to this forum, and to snakes in general. i've wanted one for years, but my mom wasn't exactly psyched about the idea, so now that i've moved out, i've been looking into finally getting one. now, i'm probably getting a ball python, but while i was researching, i came across quite a few articles that recommended boa constrictors as a starter!

maybe i'm just a bit misinformed, since usually all i hear about constrictors are horror stories and exaggerated accounts, ( "my cousin's friend had one, and she woke up to it stretching beside her, and the vet said it was measuring her to eat it!!" y'all know the deal. ), but they don't really seem like good starters. especially considering how big they can get.

i'm not going to lie, the idea of having one does kinda appeal to me, but i'd hate to rush into something i'm unprepared for and end up getting hurt/accidentally hurting a snake just because i wanted a 'cool' snake. so i wanted to ask people who actually do know what they're talking about, what's your experience with constrictors? would you recommend them to a beginner, provided i do the correct research on its care? ( for the record, i do have the room for, at the largest, a 8ft by 5ft tank. )
Login to remove ads
Old 03-08-17, 06:54 AM   #2
eminart

Re: are constrictors really good starters?

Well, there are two main subspecies of boa contrictors: Boa constrictor imperator (BCI), and Boa constrictor constrictor (BCC).

The BCI makes up the vast majority of the ones you'll see. This is the "common boa" or "Columbian boa". It is often called a "red tailed boa", but this isn't really accurate, although they often do have reddish tails. There many, many localities of this boa that range all through South and Central America, and Mexico. There is a LOT of variation in appearance. But, what I'm trying to get around to saying is that an absolutely huge BCI might POSSIBLY get to 10 feet long. But, most of them are much smaller. A typical male BCI will be around 5-7 feet long. Some of the island localities can even be much smaller than that.

The BCC is the true "red tailed boa". These are larger snakes, and come from South America - Suriname, Peru, etc. They are also usually quite a bit larger - reportedly up to 14 feet for females, but it's rare anyone can produce a verified photo of one that long. From what I understand, the BCC's can be a bit more finicky, in the care department.

So, to sum it up, depending on the person, I don't think a BCI would be a bad first snake, especially a male. They're usually pretty docile. Care is simple. And boas, even the BCC's, aren't giant snakes, as many people think of them. That title goes to the large pythons and green anaconda.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Last edited by eminart; 03-08-17 at 07:03 AM..
Old 03-08-17, 09:20 AM   #3
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

Fang was my first snake, and first BCI. He's about 9 years old, is just over 7 feet, weighs about 10-12 lbs (depending on his poop cycle), used to sit in a room with a bunch of 6th graders, and is just the most docile thing ever. He's super easy to care for, too. He's very forgiving of humidity issues and heating issues (he's been on a bathing towel now for 2 months because of mites we're trying to get rid of in our snake room. No skin issues, respiratory issues, nothing anomalous, whereas our Woma python is cray cray and has all kinds of issues with it, even though she's an arid snake).

I'm not a big fan of ball pythons. They're adorable, and pretty docile, but everyone has one. BCIs are sooooooo cool. And when you get a baby (we've had 4 in our care), you can grow up with them. Your experience handling the larger snake grows as they grow. BPs don't get very big. They're still cool, but it's not a BC

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 03-08-17, 09:26 AM   #4
trailblazer295

My first snake was a ball python and my snake a BCI. Their care is almost the same except for slightly higher humidity for a boa. My boa will grow bigger with time but they are slow growers so you'll have several years to grow with your snake. If you buy from a reputable breeder you'll have a good idea how big your boa will likely get. My guys parents were approx 5.5'M and 6.5'F.

If I were to compare keeping a BP and boa. Give you an idea
- BP will sometimes shed poorly unless I maintain high humidity when in shed
- will occasionally go off feed (it's normal but freaks people out at first)
- easy to handle

- boa sheds perfectly everytime even if the humidity dips a bit
- never has refused to eat
- easy to handle

That's my experience with my two.

If you're okay with having a bigger snake as an adult I don't see an issue. I'd suggest getting a baby or juvie from a reputable breeder and tap train. A 5-7' male that takes 5years to reach that size is perfectly manageable. If you're unsure about holding a snake like that go to a store or an expo and ask to hold theirs.
Old 03-08-17, 05:49 PM   #5
RedTailRutiodon

My BCI was my first snake, but my third reptile overall. She's really a lovely pet, eats and sheds consistently, very calm demeanor, and pretty simple care. I've adjusted her feeding schedule because apparently much of what is out there for resources is outdated and I was unintentionally overfeeding her as a result, but this new schedule is working well. I'd recommend doing not only a lot of reading books and care sheets but also talking with other keepers (like, here for example) before getting a BCI.

Overall though, as far as first snakes go a BCI really isn't a bad choice, with the only real potential negative to consider is their fairly large size. Ball pythons are more modestly sized, but just a little bit more delicate to their environment.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice needed, beginner, boa constrictor