sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-16, 07:43 PM   #1
Humble308

Couple new bebies - Children's pythons

Hey yall,

I've been waiting impatiently to attend our local herp show. I guess everyone else was too, the show was packed. I ran into a fellow with some japanese rat snakes that I've been interested, but I also saw that he had a pair of Children's pythons. I didn't want to add anything too big to my collection and these little micro pythons are too cool.

These will be my first foray into pythons. The breeder said I could keep these little ones pretty similar to colubrids just a bit warmer. His adults were maxing out on large mice to smallish rat pups so I reckon I'll be able to split a T8. I'm looking forward to working with them!

Here's the male :

And the curious girly :

Anybody else keep the smaller pythons?

Semper Fi,
Derek G
Old 12-10-16, 08:50 PM   #2
Bandit

Re: Couple new bebies - Children's pythons

Very nice additions! I've looked into keeping these as well. I came very close to going to my local show as well, but wound up picking something else up instead (which I will post soon).
Old 12-10-16, 10:51 PM   #3
toddnbecka

Very nice pickup, they look really tiny. I've been tempted a couple times at the Hamburg show, but always found something else I like more, lol. One reason I haven't been to any shows for a while now...
(I would have come home with the Jap rats as well if I were you, sterilite tubs and a heat mat are a great setup for those.)
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 12-11-16, 12:51 AM   #4
Humble308

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
Very nice pickup, they look really tiny. I've been tempted a couple times at the Hamburg show, but always found something else I like more, lol. One reason I haven't been to any shows for a while now...
(I would have come home with the Jap rats as well if I were you, sterilite tubs and a heat mat are a great setup for those.)
Thanks! Haha I totally get that, I'd had my mind set on a pair of beauty snakes or Japanese rats. I was blown away anyone had a one, much less a pair. I didn't pull the trigger as they were not the kunashir island variety which are supposed to get a bit bluer/greener. I think their blocky head just looks cool. To be honest I was also looking at some trans pecos rats, 2-3 diffrent pair of alterna, and maybe house snakes if I could find them. I'm not sure why these little guys won me over...I don't see them alot at shows, surely an interesting species.

Bandit I'm looking forward to seeing what you got!
Old 12-11-16, 02:29 AM   #5
dave himself

Congratulations on your new pick ups, beautiful wee pythons
Login to remove ads
Old 12-11-16, 07:28 AM   #6
Albert Clark

Nice additions guys!
Old 12-12-16, 02:03 AM   #7
toddnbecka

Ha, I've looked at/been tempted by grey band kings, though I haven't seen any trans pecos rats or house snakes at the shows I've been to. Not all the Kunashir Island rats are the blue phase, but the green ones are stunning as well from the pics I've seen. I did see s green pair at the last Hamburg show, only time I've run across any like that. I was hoping for a woma python at the last show, no luck on that either. I came home with the fire bull, the tangerine Honduran that died months ago, and the Dumeril's boa the wife had to have. I suspect I'll end up with a pair of Children's or spotted pythons sooner or later, but my main focus now is getting the new enclosures set up and the current residents better situated for the longer term.
I'm thinking my Jap rats should be breeding size next year, they're currently partway through the color change now. Very metallic looking, somewhere between green and blue, hard to describe, like nothing I've ever seen or imagined, lol.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 12-12-16, 10:10 AM   #8
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Very cute critters D. Congrats on the nice pick ups!
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 12-12-16, 12:26 PM   #9
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

They are really cute! Congrats!
Old 12-13-16, 10:21 AM   #10
Humble308

Thanks y'all! I've got them in some rubs right now. They are some tiny little things.
Old 12-15-16, 02:06 AM   #11
richardhind

there are really cute,great pick up
Old 02-06-17, 09:53 AM   #12
Skipper7

Awesome. Currently trying to get one or a few myself.
Old 02-06-17, 10:25 AM   #13
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

They are so CUTE!!! Teeny tiny micro pythons. I don't think I've ever seen this in person.

Make sure to treat your newbies for mites. I know this is completely off topic. I caught mites at a local trade show and I'm regretting it. Regretting not sterilizing myself before coming home, not treating all my animals as if they had mites (we didn't purchase anything at the last show, but still brought home mites. Go figure).

Sorry to hijack the post. These babies are so cute.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Closed Thread