border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-20, 10:30 AM   #1
poison123

What happened to Little Foot and Sarah?

Haven't been on here in a very long time and i came back hoping to see how these two were doing but seems like Wayne stopped posting them long ago. Anyone know what ever happened to them??
Old 06-27-20, 10:50 PM   #2
chairman

Re: What happened to Little Foot and Sarah?

Good to see you're back. Miss the photos of the great looking frogs you keep.

That's a good question about Littlefoot and Cera. It seems that Wayne/Infernalis stopped posting a while ago. Many of the forums that he used to post to seem to have disappeared too. I looked around a little on forums and FB, the last I saw of those two exanthematicus was in 2014.

Hopefully everything went well with them. I know that my exanthematicus kept in a big box of dirt passed at around 5 years old (chronic infection in the rear foot, ultimately went septic, antibiotics didn't help), hopefully Wayne's had a better fate.
Old 06-28-20, 05:56 AM   #3
poison123

Hey Chairman good to see you're still around. Unfortunately I re-homed most of my animals including the frogs due to life changes which I'm hoping are over and done with now but we never know. As much as I love frogs i only keep a couple species for now. So much has changed I dont even know who the frog connects are these days lol. And damn sad to hear about Wayne and your sav. You still have your sulcata? ATM im keeping mainly snakes wish some geckos.
Old 06-30-20, 09:31 AM   #4
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison123 View Post
Haven't been on here in a very long time and i came back hoping to see how these two were doing but seems like Wayne stopped posting them long ago. Anyone know what ever happened to them??
Hi, unfortunately they both died within 3 years, I do believe in part due to the constant stress of being housed together (both were male).
Wayne no longer takes part in reptile forums.
He took a lot of quite unfair criticism from the late Dr. Daniel Bennett, in particular regarding the captive diet, in fact Wayne was following Bennettt`s advise at that time regarding feeding rodents to captive Savannah monitors when it was he (Daniel) who suggested strongly they SHOULD form a decent % of prey in captivity (these days it`s recommended to offer mainly inverts)... Really sad that many reptile forums have closed down, now we have the less than helpful in many ways Facebook groups (in my opinion, anyway)....
Old 06-30-20, 11:57 AM   #5
poison123

Aw man that's rough. Ty for the info I had no clue anything like that had happened. And some of the forums I'm revisiting have shut down its sad.
Old 06-30-20, 02:57 PM   #6
chairman

Daniel, sorry to hear about your frogs. I know life tends to interfere with our plans, all we can hope for is to find a good balance.

My neighbor's horses broke out of their pasture, broke down my tortoise fence, and released my sulcata into the wilds of north Mississippi. I spent a long time looking for him but he never showed up. I like to believe someone found him and is taking care of him. I've been keeping hingeback tortoises since about 2002 or so and still have them.

It is sad to hear about the monitors, and Wayne as well. Wayne took a lot of risk making his experiment public the way he did, he deserves credit for making a huge investment in trying to do the right thing. Forums tend to cannibalize individuals that attempt to further the hobby but fall short; it is a shame communities do that, we won't learn to succeed until we figure out what causes us to fail. I certainly think Wayne was moving in the right direction by stressing enclosure size, access to adequate burrowing opportunities, and appropriate hot spots.

My savannah monitor survived five years in a 4'x8'x4' enclosure with approximately 2' of dirt to dig in, a 145 F+ basking spot (surface temp), and fed on the San Diego Zoo diet (allegedly developed for insectivorous acanthurus monitors) supplemented with insects and the occasional rodent that a snake didn't feel like eating. What ultimately got him was he cut his rear foot on something and developed an infection. He went to the vet, had the area debrided, stitched shut, antibiotics prescribed, and the cut healed. Only to become infected again several months later. And again several months later. Turns out the bacteria was antibiotic resistant, became systemic, and my monitor passed.
Old 07-01-20, 10:37 AM   #7
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Hi, unfortunately they both died within 3 years, I do believe in part due to the constant stress of being housed together (both were male).
Wayne no longer takes part in reptile forums.
He took a lot of quite unfair criticism from the late Dr. Daniel Bennett, in particular regarding the captive diet, in fact Wayne was following Bennettt`s advise at that time regarding feeding rodents to captive Savannah monitors when it was he (Daniel) who suggested strongly they SHOULD form a decent % of prey in captivity (these days it`s recommended to offer mainly inverts)... Really sad that many reptile forums have closed down, now we have the less than helpful in many ways Facebook groups (in my opinion, anyway)....
Bennett passed away? Dang. Sorry to hear.

This whole post was/is informative but sad the whole way through.

People went to facebook because it's easier and you can construct your very own echo chamber. Differing opinions be damned!
Old 07-04-20, 08:53 AM   #8
LISA127

Send a message via Yahoo to LISA127

I joined this forum in 2003. Back then it was super busy and active. You couldn't keep up. A few years in everything changed and barely any activity. Now I often don't log in for 2 to 3 years and then come back for a bit. It would be great if it could be like the old days.
Old 07-05-20, 03:55 AM   #9
murrindindi

Smile Re: What happened to Little Foot and Sarah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA127 View Post
I joined this forum in 2003. Back then it was super busy and active. You couldn't keep up. A few years in everything changed and barely any activity. Now I often don't log in for 2 to 3 years and then come back for a bit. It would be great if it could be like the old days.
Hi, most forums are dying, maybe if we all posted more we could keep them going, if you still keep reptiles post about them!
Old 07-05-20, 11:28 AM   #10
LISA127

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Hi, most forums are dying, maybe if we all posted more we could keep them going, if you still keep reptiles post about them!
I agree. But this forum slowed down probably about 11 or 12 years ago. It hasn't picked up in all that time. from 03 to about 08 it was super active.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-08-20, 10:54 AM   #11
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA127 View Post
I agree. But this forum slowed down probably about 11 or 12 years ago. It hasn't picked up in all that time. from 03 to about 08 it was super active.
It became really active a number of years ago again and it's slowed down again. It comes in waves. Lots of new people come and ask a question and likely because it isn't as fast as FB they don't return for answers.
Old 07-08-20, 04:39 PM   #12
LISA127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
It became really active a number of years ago again and it's slowed down again. It comes in waves. Lots of new people come and ask a question and likely because it isn't as fast as FB they don't return for answers.
That's a good point. There was no FB in 2003! And the slowdown correlated with when FB became a thing. That's sad, back in the day I loved it here and prefer it to FB groups.
Old 07-08-20, 05:55 PM   #13
MnGuy

I'd prefer to visit a non-Facebook forum and come to this one nearly every day, but the lack of posts and responses to posts is really discouraging.

I think people would come here more if people posted more/answered posts more. I belong to a parrot forum that is busy as heck because people choose to be active there instead of on Facebook. I don't know why all of the reptile forums I belong to have suffered on their original sites as Facebook counterparts explode.
Old 07-08-20, 10:50 PM   #14
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post
I'd prefer to visit a non-Facebook forum and come to this one nearly every day, but the lack of posts and responses to posts is really discouraging.

I think people would come here more if people posted more/answered posts more. I belong to a parrot forum that is busy as heck because people choose to be active there instead of on Facebook. I don't know why all of the reptile forums I belong to have suffered on their original sites as Facebook counterparts explode.

On forums you have rules to play by. On FB you can make a group and make your own rules and build yourself an echo chamber. The other issue is right before FB became a thing, forums starting fracturing into smaller forums for geographically areas or species specific type stuff and that thinned out the ranks too.
Old 07-09-20, 06:43 AM   #15
LISA127

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post

I keep chelonians and belong to a tortoise forum. It is still very active.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread