border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-16, 10:08 PM   #1
Bellydragger94

banana's sex linked or do we know enough yet?

Hey guys I recently purchased my first male banana ball today. Now all I read is this sex linked stuff. What's really confusing me is "male maker" and "female maker" now I was told if I breed

1 male banana x female normal. Anything that's banana will be male and anything normal is female

2 Female banana x male normal. Anything that's banana is female and normal male.

Now this is where it got more fun.
If you get a female banana. from a male banana paring to a normal female its know as a female maker and vice versa. I'm sorry but this sounds really weird and not right. But amazing at the same time.
Now what happens if you breed a female maker to a male maker what happens? I've asked this question to a few people and its stopping then dead in there tracks
Everything will come out banana.

Banana x banana
Banana
Super banana
Yep I'm nice and lost on this morph but I'm loving him to death best part I have added to my collection ever
1.1albino 0.3 het albino/orange ghost 1.3 bumble bees. 0.1 pastave. 0.2 lessers. 1.1 pinstripe. 1.0 banana ball. 0.3 pastel. 0.2 yellow bellys. 0.1 spider het pied. 1.0 pied. 0.2 enchi het albino. 1.1 champagne.THE LIST GOES ON....
Login to remove ads
Old 04-03-16, 10:23 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: banana's sex linked or do we know enough yet?

I can't remember all the sex biased definitions anymore. There's a really long thread on it on another forum. When im at my computer I'll find it and post how it works.

However breeding a banana to a banana will not result in all bananas and super bananas. 25% of normals.
Old 04-04-16, 07:08 AM   #3
yeloowtang

can't wait to read that Aaron should be interesting.. I tried to figure out what I could a while back by reading everything I could find and just lost interest.. never even bothered getting a banana.
one big post i read , mentioned the sex thing to be completely bogus, the first ones to invest in the project held back all the males stating only females were being produced.. then when the time came to sell, in order to control the prices, only baby females would be sold !! this would give them a good 3 years to get their $$ back and combos breeding.
some invested loads of $$ 20-30-50K with a promiss of babies selling at 12K++ that went from 12-10-7500-5-2500-1000-450-200 in a verry short period.
by the time the first group of people that got suckered into investing, combos of all morphs stated hiting the market and shows..
the banana incident IMO showed how the game is played to many and harmed the market value for everyone that want to invest in new projects . too many got burnt financially.. most now will just wait 1 year or 2 before buying the new flavor on the block..

the big hoorah of selling morphs for even 1000$ is gone even in the 500$ range, 3 and 4 genes snakes have a hard time getting that now.. well for ball pythons anyways.. some of the harder to breed and rare snakes still have good value, but Ball pythons ??? people get what they can out of them..
nice snake non the less and you got one in the right time, had you wanted one 2-3 years ago you'd most likely be miffed..
Old 04-04-16, 08:23 AM   #4
zactay22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloowtang View Post
can't wait to read that Aaron should be interesting.. I tried to figure out what I could a while back by reading everything I could find and just lost interest.. never even bothered getting a banana.
one big post i read , mentioned the sex thing to be completely bogus, the first ones to invest in the project held back all the males stating only females were being produced.. then when the time came to sell, in order to control the prices, only baby females would be sold !! this would give them a good 3 years to get their $$ back and combos breeding.
some invested loads of $$ 20-30-50K with a promiss of babies selling at 12K++ that went from 12-10-7500-5-2500-1000-450-200 in a verry short period.
by the time the first group of people that got suckered into investing, combos of all morphs stated hiting the market and shows..
the banana incident IMO showed how the game is played to many and harmed the market value for everyone that want to invest in new projects . too many got burnt financially.. most now will just wait 1 year or 2 before buying the new flavor on the block..

the big hoorah of selling morphs for even 1000$ is gone even in the 500$ range, 3 and 4 genes snakes have a hard time getting that now.. well for ball pythons anyways.. some of the harder to breed and rare snakes still have good value, but Ball pythons ??? people get what they can out of them..
nice snake non the less and you got one in the right time, had you wanted one 2-3 years ago you'd most likely be miffed..
Yup I remember going to shows and I wanted one so bad. Next show I was amazed how the much less they're were going for. Ball pythons are amazing animals, but the flood has killed them as a investment. Still great pets for entry or advanced hobbyist.
Old 04-04-16, 08:35 AM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
The original Banana and CG animals were male and when bred threw mostly females. Whoever got in early was most likely getting females, growing them up and breeding them and then working with this offspring. Female Bananas do not show a bias as to which gender inherits the trait so their clutches would have male and female morphs in statistically even ratios. The Banana females from these clutches bred like normal Banana females and the Banana males from these females repeated the pattern of producing mostly females ("female-maker"). However... Every once in a while (~10-15% of the time based on the numbers I have) one of these "female-makers" will throw a male Banana. When a male Banana produced from a male Banana is bred out the trend changes and these males now throw predominantly male Bananas ("male-maker"). This fact was not realized early on though and, since the trend in our hobby is to always hold back the females and move the males, people were holding back females and letting go of males under the assumption that buyers, when they bred, would be making all female clutches. What happened though was that a number of "male-makers' were made and then these "male-makers" started hitting the market. At which point people were producing nine male Bananas for every one female produced and that sort of cascaded and we started seeing a massive flood of males, and all of them are also "male-makers". Repeat the cycle for a few years... Assuming just two clutches of five eggs per male (a ridiculously low assumption), just one "male-maker" becomes 9 becomes 81 becomes 729 becomes 6561 becomes 59049 ad infinitum.
This is by someone else on another forum. It is not my original material but it does explain some of what we see.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-04-16, 08:59 AM   #6
Albert Clark

The simple way to remember the sequence is. A male banana made from a female banana will be a female maker banana. Conversely, a male banana made from a male banana will be a male maker.
Closed Thread