border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-15, 04:27 PM   #1
DDW

How to React to a Bite?

I've been wondering (having no experience with biting reptiles) how do I need to react to a (non venomous) reptiles bite?

I had two red eared sliders when I was younger but have never been bitten. I've even picked up skinks from my area (and a very normal looking lizard I have no idea what it was) and I've never been bitten by them. (I put my hand over their back with their head facing forward and grab them like that if that has anything to do with it)

I've heard that I should just relax and let them let go (I'm not talking about big constrictors, more like kings, corns, skinks. Things like that) and never try pullingoing them off by force (which I imagine would rip skin) and afterward what treatment for it? Wash thoroughly and stick some triple antibiotic cream on it I guess.

Your opinion?

Last edited by DDW; 04-19-15 at 04:39 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 04-19-15, 04:32 PM   #2
Jim Smith

Re: How to React to a Bite?

As a kid I've was bitten by wild caught snakes so many times I couldn't count them. Back then, I just wiped it off and kept hunting snakes. With the exception of some of the kings, the snakes you mentioned don't usually hold on. It's a quick bite and then release. No big deal at all but washing the area well with an antibacterial soap is probably a good idea.
Old 04-19-15, 04:45 PM   #3
prairiepanda

For the ones that do hold on, you need to either wait it out or try using water or vinegar or citrus juice to get the snake to let go. Forcibly removing the snake can result in injuring both yourself and the snake. Washing the area with soap and water should normally be sufficient afterwards, but keep the wound clean and keep an eye out for signs of infection.

The hardest part is not immediately pulling back when you get struck. It's an instinctive reaction so it can be difficult to resist and remain still. Whether the animal clamps down and holds on or just tags you briefly, the pull-back reaction can do a lot of damage, ripping out teeth or sending the animal flying. So try to remain calm.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 04-19-15, 06:34 PM   #4
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
As a kid I've was bitten by wild caught snakes so many times I couldn't count them. Back then, I just wiped it off and kept hunting snakes. With the exception of some of the kings, the snakes you mentioned don't usually hold on. It's a quick bite and then release. No big deal at all but washing the area well with an antibacterial soap is probably a good idea.
Thanks for the input^.=.^
Old 04-19-15, 06:41 PM   #5
elkied243

Try to stay calm and not react (jerk back) it might be hard but just try for the snakes safety to not jerk your hand away
Login to remove ads
Old 04-19-15, 06:50 PM   #6
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepanda View Post
For the ones that do hold on, you need to either wait it out or try using water or vinegar or citrus juice to get the snake to let go. Forcibly removing the snake can result in injuring both yourself and the snake. Washing the area with soap and water should normally be sufficient afterwards, but keep the wound clean and keep an eye out for signs of infection.

The hardest part is not immediately pulling back when you get struck. It's an instinctive reaction so it can be difficult to resist and remain still. Whether the animal clamps down and holds on or just tags you briefly, the pull-back reaction can do a lot of damage, ripping out teeth or sending the animal flying. So try to remain calm.
Thankyou, this is exactly what I wanted to know. this is mostly what I thought (the bit about vinegar and citrus juice is interesting but make sense) but I wanted to be sure. The reflex thing is going to be the hardest part If I'm ever bitten.

it's so nice being a member on here because I can get advise from people that are experienced in this kind of thing and know what they are doing like yourself. I am looking forward to Repticon and getting my first snake even more because of this. I've only been here for a little while but I'm already feeling welcome to this great community.
Old 04-19-15, 07:14 PM   #7
DDW

I see why, thanks^.=.^
Old 04-19-15, 07:41 PM   #8
D Grade

If youre bit defensively, dont stop the task you were doing (picking it up, handling, etc). If the snake gets the idea that will make you go away, it will keep doing it. Now if you keep handling after bites and it still persists or gets worse, then look into hooking the snake to remove it from the enclosure. Alot of snakes can be cage defensive but most snakes wont bite once out of their enclosure and in your hands.
Anatolius - 1.0 Honduran Milk (Lampropeltis Triangulum Hondurensis) Valentina - 0.1 Sonoran Gopher (Pituophis Catenifer Affinis) Medusa - 0.1 Black-Tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus Molossus Molossus) Bubba - 1.0 AZ Mountain King (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)
Old 04-19-15, 08:11 PM   #9
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Grade View Post
If youre bit defensively, dont stop the task you were doing (picking it up, handling, etc). If the snake gets the idea that will make you go away, it will keep doing it. Now if you keep handling after bites and it still persists or gets worse, then look into hooking the snake to remove it from the enclosure. Alot of snakes can be cage defensive but most snakes wont bite once out of their enclosure and in your hands.
Sounds a lot like training a cat or dog lol (other than the hookXD ) thanks^.=.^ (I have experience working with cats, dogs, and horses. My number one rule is don't be afraid, they can sense it)
Old 04-22-15, 09:19 PM   #10
D Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Sounds a lot like training a cat or dog lol (other than the hookXD ) thanks^.=.^ (I have experience working with cats, dogs, and horses. My number one rule is don't be afraid, they can sense it)
Its very similar to that. I think snakes are one of the most underated species for senses and adaptation. I actually got my King snake to start climbing to the top of his viv when he wants to come out.
Anatolius - 1.0 Honduran Milk (Lampropeltis Triangulum Hondurensis) Valentina - 0.1 Sonoran Gopher (Pituophis Catenifer Affinis) Medusa - 0.1 Black-Tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus Molossus Molossus) Bubba - 1.0 AZ Mountain King (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-15, 05:25 AM   #11
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

if i get a feeding response bite,where the snake won't let go,i take the snake to a bath or sink,and trickle cold water onto the snakes head...

they let go once the cold water hits their head (just a weak trickle)

cheers shaun
Old 04-23-15, 05:32 AM   #12
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Grade View Post
Its very similar to that. I think snakes are one of the most underated species for senses and adaptation. I actually got my King snake to start climbing to the top of his viv when he wants to come out.
Lol nice smart snake^.=.^

My mom thinks they are all dangerous (well, to small children they are) but I don't think they are. Kings and corns seem like the safest possible snake to keep but she is so afraid of snakes, she doesn't even like pictures of them :/ and she won't even settle for a lizzard.the closes we got were a couple red eared sliders. We don't have them anymore though. And some goldfish. They are BIG XD they are in a 50 gal tank.
Old 04-23-15, 10:25 AM   #13
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Don't get bit!

If you do usually as others have said its a quick bite and release. Afterwards just wash the bite with soap and water.
Old 04-23-15, 08:05 PM   #14
mistersprinkles

Iodine is a good thing to do. Flush the wound with iodine, wash thoroughly with soap and water, and if there's an actual gash or bleeding, put a bandaid on. though, with small snakes, particularly snakes that aren't very toothy, like garters, there is often no skin penetration. So you don't have to worry too much.

A good way to avoid getting bitten at home is to understand your snake's moods and only handle it when it is calm. If you have a snake that's a jerk, just dont handle it. It'll stress both of you.

In "the wild", you just sort of have to take the risk. Particularly with small snakes, I don't agree with picking them up by grabbing them behind the head as you can easily cause damage. I just don't pick up overly large snakes that can hurt me, and with smaller snakes, if I do pick them up, I do so very gently by supporting their whole body. If they bite me, I let it happen. It's my fault for picking up a wild animal in the first place. Some snakes will "musk" you instead of biting you, particularly certain colubrids. Garters are notorious for this. The smell is horrendous and it works. You put the snake down. ANd that's what it wants :P.

Be gentle! Be understanding! Don't get bitten!
Old 04-24-15, 08:40 AM   #15
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunyboy View Post
if i get a feeding response bite,where the snake won't let go,i take the snake to a bath or sink,and trickle cold water onto the snakes head...

they let go once the cold water hits their head (just a weak trickle)

cheers shaun
I just picture a scenario where if you didn't say weak trickle someone pulls out a firehose and blasts their hand off.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread