border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > General Lizard Forum.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-20, 09:58 AM   #1
Veronica

Hey, it's been a while! Here's updates on my big vivarium and its inhabitant

It's been a while since I've posted or commented here! I've largely moved over to Reddit (sorry).

Overview of vivarium: 2x2x4 foot (LWH) sealed plywood enclosure. Lit by two mega-powerful LED spotlights, with a 5.0 UVB for the lizard and a small CHE for heating.

Background is cork, hardscape is random wood I collected in the woods.

Plants: No-ID bromeliads, reedstem orchids, vanilla orchid, lemon button fern, some oak leaf creeping fig (doing rather poorly, unfortunately), Peperomia rotundifolia var. pilosior, philodendron

Inhabitant: a male Gastropholis prasina, green keel-bellied lizard. His name is Merlin.

Videos of Merlin https://imgur.com/gallery/DxDMnHH (training has been successful) https://imgur.com/gallery/QWPOYDN (long tail)

https://imgur.com/gallery/FzqH44D (the vivarium as it is now)

Anyway, that's it for now! Questions and comments appreciated. I love talking about him and his vivarium
Login to remove ads
Old 12-17-20, 03:39 PM   #2
arnoldosu1

Re: Hey, it's been a while! Here's updates on my big vivarium and its inhabitant

Very cool! Awesome set up. Also you’re right reptiles are smart, some are smarter than dogs. They are definitely food motivated as well, so that makes for a trainable animal! My crestie Treeco, is more like a cat in the sense that he will come when he wants to lol. And reptiles are also more affectionate than people give them credit for. Treeco loves attention and being pet!
Old 12-17-20, 05:00 PM   #3
Veronica

Re: Hey, it's been a while! Here's updates on my big vivarium and its inhabitant

Thank you! He's a great animal. Best personality I've ever seen in a reptile. And so much personality. He's both very smart and incredibly dumb at the same time
Old 12-18-20, 02:58 PM   #4
arnoldosu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
Thank you! He's a great animal. Best personality I've ever seen in a reptile. And so much personality. He's both very smart and incredibly dumb at the same time
Lol yeah Trico is a bit like that as in my experience are most reptiles! He is clumsy for sure and makes some questionable decisions with his acrobatics. How long have you had Merlin?
Old 12-18-20, 05:50 PM   #5
Veronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldosu1 View Post
Lol yeah Trico is a bit like that as in my experience are most reptiles! He is clumsy for sure and makes some questionable decisions with his acrobatics. How long have you had Merlin?
I've had him since mid September
Login to remove ads
Old 12-19-20, 01:47 PM   #6
arnoldosu1

Quote:
I've had him since mid September
Oh wow. That’s pretty quick of him to trust and want to seek you out like that, even for food! I’ve had trico for 7yrs and it wasn’t until a few years ago that he really would come to me. Though I guess it wasn’t until after I started hand feeding him that he did or maybe it was the petting. He really likes the petting haha. Food+petting=trust
Old 12-19-20, 03:17 PM   #7
Veronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldosu1 View Post
Oh wow. That’s pretty quick of him to trust and want to seek you out like that, even for food! I’ve had trico for 7yrs and it wasn’t until a few years ago that he really would come to me. Though I guess it wasn’t until after I started hand feeding him that he did or maybe it was the petting. He really likes the petting haha. Food+petting=trust
I was surprised. He was immediately quite tame. Didn't take any work on my part haha
Old 12-20-20, 03:04 PM   #8
arnoldosu1

Quote:
I was surprised. He was immediately quite tame. Didn't take any work on my part haha
That is crazy. Very cool lizard you have there. He must just like you lol
Old 12-29-20, 04:12 AM   #9
christian996

It looks great. What are the dimensions of the terrarium?
Closed Thread