PDA

View Full Version : screening safety

Linds
04-26-02, 01:49 PM
Ok quick question....

bought screening...... the kind that you put in a door or window....... anyways.... it feels a wee bit waxy or tacky..... and smells like home depot (lol) even though i washed it with dishsoap... was just wondering if the screening was treated with anything I should worry about? I wish to put it in my brb's containers, but have held off..........

North
04-26-02, 02:52 PM
If it's metal screening.(they will get through the nylon stuff in a hurry) and you have given it a good scrub I don't see a problem Linds.. I used to work with a window shop and some screening had a bit of a waxy grease on it, but a good scrub with soap and hot water should remove that...

Linds
04-26-02, 03:07 PM
No its not the metal kind. im using it to make a corner hammock in each tub so its gotta be soft stuff. I washed it last night wish soapy water and it is still sort of sticky feeling :(

North
04-26-02, 03:10 PM
OK.. tough call..........

Yve
04-27-02, 12:59 AM
Linds, if its the material feeling black stuff (don't know how else to describe it) I've used it as a screen to prevent my snake from having contact with the lamps and i've had no probs.....been using it for 9 months.

Linds
04-27-02, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys! I put one of them up last ngiht. Someone brought to my attention that it just simply feels that way...lol! Maybe I'm too paranoid... ah well, better safe than sorry:rolleyes:

Quervo
04-27-02, 06:16 PM
hey Linds;

If you have the soft blackish stuff, it's fibreglass. Crickets will eat through it if they can get at it for any length of time, other than that, the only concern is .. you guessed it, it will offgas for a short period if exposed to a high heat source (like using it for a light screen). But it's screen, so it is well ventilated and shouldn't cause too much problem. (If I keep coming up with this offgas stuff I'm gonna get a nickname that I probably won't like!):mad:

By the same token, if you use the metal screen (grey in colour and rougher) it can hurt the snakes nose if he can rub against it.

Keith

Linds
04-27-02, 07:45 PM
Well......its not in direct contact with any heat sources. Its jsut a hammock in the corner of the rubbermaid... so its off the ground and there are no lights to worry about. no crickets. couldnt use metal either. as long as the little peice of screen doesnt pose any serious threats to my babies im happy :) Lol... I keepo up with the offgassing info though...it's great and informative! :thumbsup: